The Yoga Farmer…and friends (video). ~ Joe Yeoman

Via on Mar 29, 2011

I am so glad I am learning yoga from Billy at the Yoga Workshop here in Boulder. As much as I hate to admit it, I am progressing with and actually enjoying yoga.

If I had been exposed to this video as a child, I would have been terrified of and subsequently avoided yoga for the rest of my life. Downward dogs would be less appealing than a teeth cleaning.

Off the subject, but these videos make me wonder how much money is wasted in television. I mean, really? They are paying a cast, crew, director, team of song writers, and this Yoga Farmer to make this. Seems like a waste of resources.

I find the lines—”I do yoga in a barn”, “Come play yoga with me now”—juxtaposed with a “yoga rooster”, random kid with a soccer ball, and all the hugs to be frightening. And amusing.

Is this really how we want to introduce yoga to our kids? Or are there better ways?

Joe Yeoman loves you. He is an MFA candidate at the Jack Kerouac School. As a displaced Chicago writer and editor, he hopes to see the Windy City soon. You can contact him at Joeyeoman [at] gmail [dot] com. Follow him on twitter @themindfullife, @walkthetalkshow, and @joeyeoman. Friend him of Facebook.

About elephant journal

12 Responses to “The Yoga Farmer…and friends (video). ~ Joe Yeoman”

1. Yon says:

This video again? This was on lots of yoga blogs two years ago. Are you hurting for something to post?

2. Goodieb says:

I haven't seen it before. It's a complete hoot!

3. ARCreated says:

do you have any idea how much asana I am going to have to do to clear this out of my mind…some great things going on here…making yoga fun…encouragement….vegetables…but but…what the hell was with the weird squatting dance and why do these kind of shows always feel a little creepy.>>

4. Joe Yeoman says:

Thank you so much for the info!

And of course the dude is from LA.

Any Midwesterner would have known roosters hate yoga, and prefer peaceful meditation.

5. jellybeanz says:

Well, it was worth posting for the "out of touch" people who didn't come across it years prior. LOL.
    That is a very uncomfortable video to watch.
    I have heard of after school kids programs hiring yoga instructors. Kuddos to that.

6. Only fair to also publish Robin Maxwell's passionate defense of her husband http://bit.ly/9usGtW (which is linked in a comment above, too, but without this introduction as to what it is.) Here's what she wrote:

As co-creator and producer of EiEi Yoga, and proud wife of Yogi Oki Doki (you may call me Mrs. Oki Doki) I would like to ask that somebody re-print Richard Rosen’s stellar Yoga Journal review of this video (1997) in which he unequivocally gave it “4 hooves up!”. Yogi and Rasta the Rooster appeared on several national TV magazines, and the science and medical writer for the New York Times said “Yogi Oki Doki is a hero in my house.”

Max Thomas (a/k/a Yogi Oki Doki) is one of California’s most beloved and respected yoga teachers. He was the director of the Center for Yoga in L.A. for four years in the early `80s before yoga became hip and ubiquitous. He has taught teacher training courses at the White Lotus Foundation in Santa Barbara, and in his own studios in L.A., Topanga and currently in Yucca Valley, CA. He has worked gratis for HIV patients in West L.A., and for schizophrenic teenagers at UCLA Medical Center. He was one of the first yoga teachers to acknowledge that if children were taught yoga we would be living in a much saner world.

Now, on a badly edited YouTube clip that has received close to a quarter of a million hits and 1,100 comments in 6 days (“Weird Hippie Yoga Farmers”) Max has been derided in every way imaginable, called “creepy” and “a pedophile.” One viewer referred to one of the beautiful children he was teaching as “that little n***.” I know that the mental capacity of most of these people makes Fox News viewers seems like Rhodes Scholars, but it would be nice to see a little support from the yoga community for a fellow teacher, one who has dedicated the last 35 years of his life to bringing yoga to the world.

Perhaps you can go to the “everything is terrible site” and throw in a positive comment.

And yes, kids LOVE this video.

7. Joe Yeoman says:

Here is a little bit about what she says about her husband:

He sounds like a great man, and I acknowledge that this YouTube video is edited down to make him look creepy.

However, I find the whole concept a bit kooky anyway. Why do we need a Midwest (he's from LA) song-and-dance to teach kids yoga?

It's almost like they're tricked into yoga. (Like tricked into eating VEGETABLES through clever and catchy songs.)

8. jessie says:

im curious if anyone knows of better ways to introduce yoga to children? and at what age do you think is god for children to start learning simple poses ?

9. SriDTMc says:

Joe I just can't believe how out of touch you are with the latest painfully-awkward kid-touching videos circulating in the yoga community… or should I say, earliest! [what's the opposite of latest? whatever, iowaiowaiowa!]

Evvvvryone knows that Yogi Okie Dokie Noodle Doodle is sooo last year; how could you be so presumptuous as to think you, as a unique individual person, might have aaaanything of value to add to this illlluustrious commuoooonity.

seriously though, why all the down-thumbing?
    oh well, shows what they know. keep up the good work buddy.