Plus, knee boobs.
Marketing? So nice, love the beautiful forests and the Native American girl…
…who we probably raped, then kicked forcibly off her land, which we’ve now turned into a factory farm.
PETA is launching a new initiative calling for basic animal welfare standards for cows on dairy farms on the heels of disturbing new undercover footage of dairy factory farms. The video footage from Mercy for Animals shows baby calves as they are beaten with pickaxes and hammers and have their budding horns burned out of their skulls without being given any pain relief. A PETA undercover investigation into a Land O’Lakes supplier found similar abuse.
PETA is asking pizza and ice cream chains, grocery stores, and other dairy vendors to commit to buying only from farms that adhere to these minimal standards of animal care:
- Keeping facilities clean and providing flooring, foot care, and bedding
- Immediately euthanizing “downed” cows who can no longer walk
- Ending de-horning and tail-docking, cruel procedures in which cows have a portion of their tails cut off and their horns cut out of their skulls
- Banning the use of bovine growth hormone, which contributes to lameness and a painful inflammation of the udder known as “mastitis” and which has been banned in Europe and Canada
- Providing group housing for female calves, without tethering
These standards would dramatically reduce the suffering of cows and their calves on dairy factory farms. You can help them, too, by always choosing one of the many available nondairy options.
Written by Michelle Sherrow
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,418 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 27,377 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 18,811 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,091 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,270 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 501 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,890 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 438 shares Two Kinds of Love we all Experience in our Lifetime. 940 shares