Lady Gaga gets Biblical with Jesus, “Judas” music video.

Via on May 6, 2011

Lady Blasphemy

I have no idea what any of this means…

YouTube Preview Image

…but the comments of youtube are full of grave portent. Any ideas out there?

Metro:

Lady Gaga kicks off the video for Judas by taking a ride with Jesus and his apostles on their motorbikes.

The gang then reach a small village at night and Gaga starts dancing around in a red bra and knickers before a party kicks off in a bar.

A drunk Judas is seen getting into a brawl as Gaga tries to protect Jesus.

Jesus and Judas then have a stand-off in the middle of a crowded room and Gaga, as if to test her love for Jesus, points a gold gun at Judas.

As she presses on the trigger, a stub of red lipstick emerges from the end of the gun and Gaga smears it on Judas’ lips before breaking down in anguish.

We then see Gaga sitting in a bath with Jesus and Judas pouring in water so that she can wash their feet.

Judas then pours a can of liquid onto Gaga’s bottom as the singer screams out in ecstasy.

At the end of the video, Gaga, now dressed in a white gown and black and white wig, is seen being stoned in the village square.

About Waylon Lewis

10 Responses to “Lady Gaga gets Biblical with Jesus, “Judas” music video.”

1. Roger Wolsey Roger Wolsey says:

for someone who claims to love Judas so much, she sure spends more time fawning over Jesus. i'm still pondering this one. will have to watch it a few more times. first glance is that it seems to be the video equivalent of a jewelry store display case that is filled with religious-ish baubles that has been shaken and ransacked. sort of a potpourri and cacophony of early madonnaesque glam pop (translation – a series of evocative images laden with semi-religious themes "just because")

that said, the image of Jesus as part of a biker gang reminds me of this truly excellent song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-lHZqNcRH0&fe

2. steve says:

she says Jesus is her virtue and Judas is what she clings to… hmm. sounds like a person "trying" to be good, but is still more influenced by the darker side of life… I can relate to that.

• Roger Wolsey Roger Wolsey says:

Steve, good ears! That phrase, Jesus is who I cling to, reminds me of part of the resurrection story in John Chapter 20 where the risen Christ says to Mary, "Do not cling to me." Here's the NIV translation: (notice v. 17)

….15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”

Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”

16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”

She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).

17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her….

And yeah, I can relate to that too. (though, i gotta say, that Judas didn't seem all that compelling to me, fairly flat character with little charisma)

• Scott Robinson YesuDas says:

Man, what is it with this chick and bathtubs? :)

Roger, John's resurrection account is my absolute favorite; that encounter between Mary and the risen Christ always makes me tear up.

She makes me tired, but I think lady Gaga is smart, and I think you're absolutely right to hear that echo of "noli me tangere" in Gaga's "demon that I cling to."

3. NotSoSure says:

I asked the FSM. His Noodliness doesn't know what it about either.

4. Ramesh says:

Ground hog day alert :) Madonna anyone?

5. Dan says:

Ehrm… Didn’t Madonna do this already? There’s nothing new here and the video honestly, just doesn’t make sense. Then again, why are we asking it to make sense This is pop music and Gaga is recycling old themes and presenting them for a new audience. Fun to watch once or twice but not what I’d consider artistic achievement .

Want a good video? Go watch Adele’s Rolling in The Deep.

6. MarkH says:

Stefani Germanotta aka Lady Ga Ga went to an all girls Cathloic school. Need any more explanation?
    I think she rocks.