Miley Cyrus nails Natarajasana.

Via on May 21, 2011

Princess of the Dance.

Still don’t get who she is, having never seen her in anything…but I get that she’s huuuge to a lot of girls.

In any case, Lord of the Dance? Not the easiest of poses. Count me impressed:

With thank yous for the tip to Yogadork (…via Egotastic).

Photo of me with the mysterious shoulder-only—that’s all she would modestly allow—of the more-or-less-anonymous Yogadork herself at last week’s NYC Yoga Journal conf, below. Yes, that’s our idolette Seane Corn in the background, with our friend Kasey Luber.

About Waylon Lewis

35 Responses to “Miley Cyrus nails Natarajasana.”

1. These are two really interesting pictures.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Bob W. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

2. Diane says:

Way, where is my photo credit for lining up that bottom shot? I hit that shoulder perfectly, bro!

3. Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

4. jewelinthelotus says:

What is she 18? I could contort my body into any pose at that age too as can a lot of 18 year olds – especially if they have danced. So not that impressed, but the shoulder shot!

5. yogafree says:

she's one with the om.

6. Jake says:

Ask her out, Waylon!

7. Edeee says:

For certain poses alignement is a matter of safety, no? I think the exact/final pose is something we work towards, but to do it perfectly, we first have to practice and do it not so perfectly; sometimes, you can do it "perfectly" but a variation feels great. Doing what feels right on the moment and being one is why we practice first isn't it?

8. ARCreated says:

I find what's funny about the whole adjustment thing === is I have had teachers INSIST on certain alignment only to find out they weren't exactly right…or at least not for everybody. Triangle is a prime example or half moon… I have been seriously injured by teachers thinking they are "doing me a favor" …. it's judgement and ego as far as I've been able to tell more often than not.

9. elephantjournal says:

Princess of the Lord of the Dance:
    #
    Nadarajah S Ponniah love to dance with Miley Cyrus ..

#
    Karen Nelson Mangold Despite the criticism she seems to have caught on your post, I think this is a beautiful pic.

#
    Jodi Weiner This photo is inspiring…regardless of who she portrays herself to be, we are all connected and I choose to see her beauty and grace.

#
    Heather 'Lance' Schmitt Fantastic!

10. [...] she does yoga. Now Miley Cyrus comes out publicly for equal rights. Guess I’m gonna hafta listen to a song [...]

11. sherri says:

Isn't she propped up against the wall for balance?

12. Sara Jean Deegan stginger says:

She has been dancing her whole life! Just because a person is flexible does not necessarily mean that he/she is a GOOD person or more spiritual.

13. Gobsmacked says:

Her hips sure don't look square to me. Elephant Journal, what has become of you? I clicked on this hoping it would be a spoof or something. Elephant Journal is turning into People magazine with people in asanas. There is very little to do with Yoga here anymore. It's sad.

14. Guest says:

Wowsers – lots of people need to relax & not take things so seriously, jeez Louise.

15. jane hoe doe says:

not very "yogi".. hilarious. like yogi's are saints, and mother's are God. namaste all.

16. occultfan says:

Reaganhood – lovin' the shirt.

17. Ally says:

This photo is a good reminder not to lock your knees.

18. Nancy says:

She looks pretty and graceful, but anyone who has done a decent amount of gymnastics or dance can generally do this. Doesn't mean it's yoga. I thought that in yoga we weren't so goal oriented as to have "nailed" anything anyway :)

19. holly says:

Hyper extended knee!! haha, she looks lovely, but that's not Miley Cyrus.

20. Barb says:

You are so damn cute!

21. Hang about. Last week I was watching a video of a contortionist and being told that yoga is not flexibility. Now I'm looking at a photo of Miley Cyrus and being told that, irrespective of her personal qualities, she's quite bendy, and that's impressive.

Make yer mind up.

22. pnv says:

I always find stuff like this annoying. When a person has been studying gymnastics or dance since childhood, getting into most yoga poses is easy. Getting into a yoga pose and practicing yoga are very different things. Flexibility does not a yogi make.

23. elephantjournal says:

Good calls. Still, tough pose. Where can she find you for a class? ~ Way

24. Jen says:

Judgemental much?????

25. elephantjournal says:

I was thinking similar things on this pose…until I noticed sumpin: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2009/12/uh-wow/

26. lizlady says:

Seriously! I was sort of awed by it. Rock on, Miley.

27. elephantjournal says:

I talked about judging a yoga pose, this same one as happens, and I judged in in same ways as Kimberley, above…on another blog…then corrected myself: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2009/12/uh-wow/

28. Jen says:

Waylon, Thanks for posting that link! What does it matter if your poses are perfect? Yoga is about connecting with spirit and being happier. I hate yoga teachers who make their studens feel like crap by constantly making adjustments and saying "you'll thank me for this later". Happiness is more important than the health of your SI joints IMHO! Rant over :)

29. elephantjournal says: