It’s here! The official start of the summer season and this is the outdoor feast that starts the next 3 months of sunshine filled fun with a bang! Break out the bbq’s, fill the coolers with ice, blast some hits and it’s time to celebrate summer with this memorable menu! And don’t forget to toast our fallen soldiers and service men abroad because after all, it’s the reason for the start of the season!
Memorial Day Mushroom Burger
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb mushrooms, roughly chopped (combination of crimini, shiitake, and Portobello)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 egg replacers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Heat 1 tbsp oil in large saucepan. Saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid boils off, and the mushrooms begin to saute.
In large bowl, add mushroom mixture to oats, soy cheese, breadcrumbs, egg replacers, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to develop the flavors. Shape into patties. Heat 2 tbsp oil in large non-stick skillet, over medium heat. Fry patties, cooking about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Serve on a toasted bun and top with grilled onions, avocado, lettuce, pickle and tomato.
Crispity Crunchity Salad
- 1/3 cup tamari (wheat free for gluten sensitive folks)
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 head red cabbage – shredded
- 1/2 head white cabbage – shredded
- 4 large pieces of your protein of choice (tofu, tempeh, faux chix, etc) – chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds – toasted
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds – toasted
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sliced honey-roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons raw sugar
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, agave and sugar; shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- 1/3 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (lowfat if you like)
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 oz organic rum
- 4 ice cubes
Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Serve in a chilled glass and garnish with cherry garnish and umbrella
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day and welcome to Summer!!
The Healthy Voyager, aka Carolyn Scott-Hamilton, is the Vegan Executive Producer, Creator, Host and Writer of The Healthy Voyager web series & radio show, site, blog, and overall brand. A nutritionist, chef, film making, screen writing, traveling, singing, dancing, fun-loving, healthy & green living wife, The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. My Marriage had to End—for my Life to Begin. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. The Day I Stopped Running. Dear Woman in the White Car at Margaritas Mexican Grill in West Memphis, Arkansas on July 15th, 2012.