Via on May 23, 2011

yoga-teachers-smoking1-250x232

10 Myths about what the Requirements are to be a competent Yoga Teacher:

10.  That you must be super flexible

9.  That you must be skinny

8.  That you have to be “new agey” looking or at least act “new agey”

7.  That you must be good looking

YOGA TEACHER

6.  That you must be registered with yoga alliance (not exactly sure who and what they are for)

5.  That you must wear lululemon with your behind looking good in it

4.  That you sport a halo

3.  That you eat blue green algae and drink kombucha

2.  That you can speak sanskrit fluently and you have studied in India

1.  You’ve been to Bali

I only have images of lovely Tulum (which almost made the top 10 as well)

~

Relephant reads:

Top 10 Most Mispronounced Sanskrit Words.

Sickest Buddhist!

10 Easy Steps to becoming a Yoga Celebrity.

About Sean Conley

Sean Conley, along with his wife Karen, founded the Amazing Yoga Studios in Pittsburgh, PA. They are co-authors of Amazing Yoga: A Practical Guide to Strength, Wellness, and Spirit. They lead Power Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Trainings in Mexico and Costa Rica. They have 4 kids who sometimes tag along with them to these amazing places. Sean bounced around in the NFL for 4 years. But after injuries and getting cut by a number of teams, he moved on and luckily stumbled into yoga. He believes yoga is an incredible way for all of us to practice healing ourselves physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. And at the same time, we can help heal the planet. Yoga can change the way we think, eat, talk, and interact with others. Website: www.amazingyoga.net Facebook: SeanFacebook Twitter: @Sean_Conley_

If you liked this, you might like these:

21 Responses to “Top 10 Myths About what the Requirements are to be a Competent Yoga Teacher These Days.”

1. I agree. It helps to have a few of those if you want to be consistently employed. But, finding a path to teaching yoga that takes an alternate route has worked just fine for me and many teachers I know.

2. What? I'm shocked! You suit yourself, but I'm going to continue to demand all these things from my Yoga teachers.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Bob W. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

3. Pamela says:

I fail on all counts. ha ha

4. Very shallow. Where is there depth in any of this?

5. yogitastic says:

But wait… I actually do sport a halo! ;)

6. Whitney says:

The Yoga Alliance is the organization that lists Yoga schools, etc for training purposes, so you dont get fooled by an imposter and robbed of all your $$. Its kind of important.

• courtney says:

I have to agree. Yoga Alliance doesn't try to fool anyone into believing they are mandatory and as a training school neither do I, but if someone has a YA registration they are held to at least a minimum standard. Of course their are non YA schools and teachers that are competent but how does the general public know, there are plenty of scam schools and one day certifications out there who train people who have never even had a yoga class. I only hire YA registered teachers and the quality of our program is a great testament to the wonderful competent teachers we have on staff..

• Maria91 says:

This is the only one I qualify for – almost – currently working on RYT 200; Big fail on the other 9!

7. [...] ridiculous that I have not yet gone, given my love for travel and, of course, yoga. There are yoga teachers who wander all over the globe and there are others who stay put at their home studio. Both roles [...]

8. Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

9. [...] Top 10 Myths About What the Requirements are to be a Competent Yoga Teacher These Days: [...]

10. ashmastandrea says:

I'm registered with YA because it gave me a break on insurance. But, other than that, I don't see much of a benefit.

11. Jen Smith says:

Phew! Cause I don't qualify for any of these! I love teaching yoga and it has more to do with being in the moment and feeling that I can hold a safe space for students so that they feel better mind/body and spirit when they leave! Thanks, Sean! Really fun to read this list!