Five Ways to get rid of a Headache—Naturally.

Via on Jun 5, 2011

1. Don’t miss yoga class, as I did, this week. Over the next three or four days (I work a lot on the computer), my shoulders tightened and my neck tightened until, finally, yesterday, my head started hurting. Badly. Didn’t sleep barely at all last night, I was in such rough shape. This happens to me three or four times a year—always and only when I’ve missed yoga for a week or more.

2. Aspirin. Boom. My grandma was a Christian Scientist, so I generally still stay away from drugs of any kind. Symptoms (like headaches) are helpful, grounding reminders that we’re off, somehow. I don’t like to dull them—I prefer to deal with the root cause. In this case, however, I woke and could barely move. So I dragged myself, or rather my dog dragged me, to the neighborhood corner store and bought my 1 buck 46 cent of succor. Solace? I can barely think, right now, let alone right.

3. Meditation. Now that I have my aspirin, I’ll meditate. Somehow it relieves a lot of the mental bullshiiite that circles around pain, and naturally relaxes the body—particularly, I find, the back of the neck, the position of the head, and the natural relaxing of my shoulders.

4. Bath. Hot. Epsom salts are cheap, and supposedly help relax muscles. Just don’t use the water afterward to water your plants, as I did once (Bush League eco boy move).

5. Massage. In my case, unless my dog wants to jump in, self-massage. Here’s a few popular videos from youtube. But first! Put on some cheesy New Agey music. Seems to be key. Turn on fountain, hang crystals, and spray aromatic oils in the air. Visualize rainbows and my little pony flitting about. Okay, go:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

~

Skip a minute in:

YouTube Preview Image

EC: anything else? Please leave recommendations in comments, below, and share your hard-won wisdom with other readers.

About Waylon Lewis

16 Responses to “Five Ways to get rid of a Headache—Naturally.”

1. Bobi Watson says:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1015020… Made a video on FB for some friends with inquiries about natural headache remedies just last week. I suppose it is best to share freely, even low quality videos that have information that has proven to be effective by putting it into practice rather then medically! I have gotten a lot of mileage for stress release from this personally and have adapted as I recommend each time I use this technique.

2. Blossom Dawes says:

I find that I get immediate relief from eating/drinking something cold and/or using a soft headband icepack. Not all headaches are the same, but many are caused by inflammation and are improved by cold. Safe and fast!
    Blossom

3. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

Thanks! I needed this today!

4. 6. Put your energy/mind/sense of self into your hara and keep it there. http://duffmcduffee.com/post/3604309019/dan-tien-

Works for me!

5. Sherry says:

Most of my headaches are related to days when I'm running around and not drinking enough water. Dehydration shows up as head pain (among other things) quite often.

When I get those really bad headaches like you described I find that taking some Tylenol or Advil with a coffee chaser helps – but only the one coffee otherwise it causes dehydration which brings on more head pain.

Cold helps too. I keep all those little ketchup packets or soy sauce packs from take-out food in the freezer. They never freeze completely solid so they make perfect little flexible cooling pads to press against my temples.

6. Katherine says:

sex?

7. elephantjournal says:

Stephanie Demos: fresh air, hot water bottle on back of the neck/between shoulder blades, even lower spine. also, good digestion … helps with preventing headaches… not kidding when i say sometimes the most wicked morning headache dissipates minutes after a morning bm. just sayin'

8. Brent Binder drbinder says:

#6. Chiropractic Adjustment

9. Antoinette says:

How about some naturally-induced endorphins – sex!!! Or if nothing else an orgasm. Works like a charm!

10. Diane says:

very helpful! and here's some natural allergy remedies: http://fourgreensteps.com/community/blogs/healthw

11. airjordan says:

A less insulated ski jacket air jordan xiii is often shoes womens more affordable,jordan heels but if you’re skiing .

12. It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google
    account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk
    about this website with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

13. butidontplaytennis says:

if it's due to tightness in your neck & shoulders… rolling against the wall with a tennis ball between the wall & your back works wonders! You can loosen up your whole back, hips & everywhere else with it. Some find it easier on the floor.. but I prefer the wall (usually better on concrete wall for grip).

14. Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a

totally different topic but it has pretty much the

same layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!