1. Don’t miss yoga class, as I did, this week. Over the next three or four days (I work a lot on the computer), my shoulders tightened and my neck tightened until, finally, yesterday, my head started hurting. Badly. Didn’t sleep barely at all last night, I was in such rough shape. This happens to me three or four times a year—always and only when I’ve missed yoga for a week or more.
2. Aspirin. Boom. My grandma was a Christian Scientist, so I generally still stay away from drugs of any kind. Symptoms (like headaches) are helpful, grounding reminders that we’re off, somehow. I don’t like to dull them—I prefer to deal with the root cause. In this case, however, I woke and could barely move. So I dragged myself, or rather my dog dragged me, to the neighborhood corner store and bought my 1 buck 46 cent of succor. Solace? I can barely think, right now, let alone right.
3. Meditation. Now that I have my aspirin, I’ll meditate. Somehow it relieves a lot of the mental bullshiiite that circles around pain, and naturally relaxes the body—particularly, I find, the back of the neck, the position of the head, and the natural relaxing of my shoulders.
4. Bath. Hot. Epsom salts are cheap, and supposedly help relax muscles. Just don’t use the water afterward to water your plants, as I did once (Bush League eco boy move).
5. Massage. In my case, unless my dog wants to jump in, self-massage. Here’s a few popular videos from youtube. But first! Put on some cheesy New Agey music. Seems to be key. Turn on fountain, hang crystals, and spray aromatic oils in the air. Visualize rainbows and my little pony flitting about. Okay, go:
Skip a minute in:
EC: anything else? Please leave recommendations in comments, below, and share your hard-won wisdom with other readers.
hot on elephant
How I stopped Speed Dating my Passions & finally Committed. 235 shares She Smiles as she Cries: the Story of High-functioning Depression. 5,042 shares A Homemade Buddhist Ritual for Letting Go. 608 shares New Moon in Scorpio: Only those who Believe in Magic will Find It. 2,371 shares 10 Things to Know about Dating a Scorpio (& Why they Love Sex). 596 shares Living with C-PTSD Following an Abusive Relationship. 2,301 shares Why we must Break to Heal. 1,037 share Stop Ignoring these Connections, they can Turn your Day (or Life) around. 927 shares To my Diego: 4 Poems by Frida Kahlo that Demonstrate the Exquisite Nature of Love. 633 shares Why it’s Okay we Won’t ever have Sex. 278 shares