Is There Conflict Between Zen and Kundalini Yoga? ~ Donna Quesada

Via
on Jun 21, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Zen and Kundalini Yoga: A Contradiction?

I shared some of my favorite Kundalini mantra music with a Buddhist friend the other day. He loved it, but then gingerly asked whether I “consider it to be compatible with Buddhism”. He asked about the music, but he was really asking about the paths, in general. “Maybe I should just forget about all that and just enjoy it for what it is”, he then mused. And did I have any thoughts?

Of course, I did. And he already knew the answer—”you said it”, I told him. “You should absolutely enjoy it because only the dualistic mind sees a difference. All paths are one and truth is truth”.

I have another Buddhist friend, a musician, who grew up with gospel. To my best knowledge, he would never consider shunning this inspirational music that he loves so much just because it’s Christian. What an idea! So, why wouldn’t it be fine to listen to Kundalini mantra music as a Buddhist?

One thing is certain; gospel is Americana. It’s part of our cultural heritage and we look upon it with nostalgia. On a wider note, Buddhists, like any one else, listen to a variety of music, much of which has no spiritual association at all. So, I would propose that if music with no spiritual connotation is fine, then music with some spiritual connotation would be even better—even when that tradition differs from one’s own because uplifting vibes are, well… nice.

The question of compatibility between two spiritual traditions smacks of the guilt many people still carry around from their childhoods, when their intimidating family religions forbade even a cursory glance at some other religion’s holy book.

But, both Buddhism and the Yogas are inclusive, rather than exclusive, which means one may practice alongside any other religious practice without conflict. And many do. Consider the many Buddhist meditation teachers who still consider themselves Jews (there is even a name for them: Jubus): Joseph Goldstein, Jack Kornfield and Sharon Salzberg are but a few. And everyone knows about Leonard Cohen, Steven Seagal, Robert Downy Jr., Richard Gere and Goldie Hawn. And with regard to Yoga, a better question would be: Who hasn’t tried at least some form of it?

Buddhism, and Zen in particular, is not predicated on any beliefs and if there’s no belief, there’s nothing to contradict. Thus, Zen compliments any practice, spiritual or otherwise, like basketball—which is why Phil Jackson used Zen-style meditation as part of his training methods with the Lakers. Zen is, in the most basic sense, just meditation. It is the practice of waking up to the present moment; it is to “eat when we’re hungry and sleep when we’re tired.” So, it’s not surprising that training in such a discipline would improve performance in everything.

Perhaps my friend’s concern had more to do with the power of Kundalini mantra music. Known as Naad Yoga, it is spiritually potent. It is held that the human body is designed for transformation through its proper practice, but even if you don’t happen to believe that, it certainly won’t hurt you if you go ahead and chant anyway! (And less so, if you’re just listening.)

It is understood in all forms of Yoga that we have a central energy channel, known as the sushmuna, by which prana flows. This energy is our life force, it is consciousness itself, and to awaken its flow is to awaken to our own infinite potential as humans. In Kundalini parlance, it is to awaken to the divine within.

At the heart of this practice is mantra meditation in which we vibrate that central channel as well as every cell in our body, as long as we are chanting from the heart and with the belly. It is understood that everything is vibration, even our state of mind. So, we can either choose sounds that elevate, or not. Naad Yoga is the technology of doing just that.

And so, if it’s potent— all the better!

Even though Zen is not oriented around vibrational technology, it does have another point in common with Kundalini Yoga Practice: mindful meditation. One of my teachers, Guru Singh, talks endlessly about the importance of staying in the what is, rather than in the what should be, which is his way of reminding us to keep our heads out of the “picking and choosing mind.”

Sounds a lot like Zen talk to me!

Our outlook toward spiritual practice doesn’t have to be polemic. It’s not Zen versus Kundalini Yoga, any more than it’s Zen versus Judaism; they’re only separate in the divisive mind! One of the things I always liked about the Zendo was that there were Christians practicing next to Jews—at this level, none of that matters anymore.

While one path is not necessarily better than another, one may be more appropriate for an individual at a certain time than another—that’s the idea behind the various Yogas, or spiritual paths, in India. The great sages recognized that no one path is one size fits all.

We each have different temperaments and innumerable karmic circumstances that make up our lives. And it’s all in flux. Funny enough, if we weren’t allowed to grow and evolve, there would be no Buddhism at all! Buddha himself, born a Hindu, wouldn’t be pigeonholed. He embraced his truth and left the rest behind, settling himself somewhere in the middle of it all.

If acclamation and adaptation are necessary for a religion’s survival as a whole, how much more so is it for an individual in their own evolving, personal practice? Sometimes that means strands of different traditions get intermingled, the way Taoism and Buddhism did in the hearts of the mystics in old China, creating the birth of Ch’an (Zen).

In this light, the whole idea of a forever home is questionable. But even so, only the seeker gets to choose. And, with the right to proceed along the sequence, that is right for him or her. The well-known American spiritual teachers, Ram Dass and Bhagavan Das, both traveled along paths that were ever-expanding, each having received initiation from Buddhist and Yogic teachers—and the former started off Jewish. In Zen, as well, it’s not uncommon to venture into different forms of meditation, as found in the various schools of Zen, as well as in other Buddhist traditions, such as vipassana.

As a fun and hopefully useful analogy, look at Zen as a wonderful broth—the foundation of every soup that ever was. Like broth, Zen is simple (which doesn’t mean easy) and unembellished. But, when you add potatoes, celery, spices and salt, you’ve got something different. Some will dig it, some won’t.

To play with analogies further, Zen may be seen like an essential strand in the fabric of a rich spiritual life, as a concomitant part of a whole. And further still, think of it as a no-frills wooden boat, which, like any other boat, will carry you just fine to the other shore. Some boats are fancy, some are not, some go fast, some don’t and some rock more than others. How wonderful the differences are!

Through these analogies and commentary on my friend’s innocent question, I hope to have shown the beauty of each tradition, but most of all, that there’s no conflict between them—or with any other path.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Donna Quesada. Instructor of eastern philosophy and Kundalini Yoga, Zen practitioner, and author of Buddha in the Classroom; Zen Wisdom to Inspire Teachers. Website: www.donnaquesada.com

About elephant journal

Comments

28 Responses to “Is There Conflict Between Zen and Kundalini Yoga? ~ Donna Quesada”

1. Padma Kadag says:

What is the goal of Kundalini practice? What is the outcome? Are you striving to become one with something…what is it?

2. Thank you Padma. Kundalini Yoga is "the Yoga of awareness." To echo what I mentioned in the article, it is to know the divine within, but to go further, it is, like all Yogas, a relationship. It is the uniting of individual consciousness with the infinite consciousness. In the process of doing this, through the practice of Yoga, the practitioner wakes up to his/her infinite potential. Kundalini Yoga does this through specially sequenced kriya (physical exercises), breathwork, and meditation, especially mantra meditation. Through dedicated practice of these techniques, the process of breaking through unconscious limits is facilitated and awareness is expanded and we become able to master our energy and creative potential!

And that's a thumbnail sketch of this beautiful practice!

Sat Nam, Namaste, and Gassho.
    ~Donna

3. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

Hi Donna. Although there is a discussion going on here and I don't know too much about Kundalini Yoga, I felt I have learned a lot. Thank you for sharing!

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Assoc. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

4. Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Bob W. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

5. Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Bob W. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

6. Padma Kadag says:

I believe that if you were to study Buddhism a little deeper and do the practice with a teacher from an actual lineage which has produced masters both male and female you may find that what Kundalini has to offer is much different than what Buddhism"s "goal" is. That beyond our introductory sense of quietude and "bliss" that you will find that Buddhism and Kundalini, ultimately, are at odds with one another. Dare I say that Kundalini is completely "doable" within the context of progressing on the Buddhist path? Maybe…Im not really qualified to say so. I can say…maybe… that the reverse is not possible…that Kundalini will bring you to the highest realization of Buddhist view.

7. Dewaine says:

thanks for the article Donna

8. Nate says:

To Padma, I'm a peace lover, not an arguer, but I must say, your blatant animosity is shocking, especially for someone who claims to be on a spiritual path–even resorting to name calling ("new agey stuff"). Wow. There's a lot of anger coming through your posts. All because you cannot see the point that has already been clearly made. I have to tell you, the idea of our own inner peace being on the inside is not new agey at all–it is evolved. To be a Buddhist is to see through separateness. Like Thich Nhat Hanh explains in his book, Being Peace–it all happens within. Is that new agey, too? (PS, do they pay you to create controversy? Do you do this in every article? lol)

Continued in next post (it told me it was too long)

9. Nate says:

Here is another bit of writing on the subject that accords with the point made here:

"Swami Vivekananda, the first great figure to bring Yoga to the West, examined the Buddhist Mahayana scriptures (Sutras) and found much similarity between their key teachings and those of Vedanta. In recent years with the influx of Tibetan refugees, including the Dalai Lama, into India since the Chinese occupation of Tibet there has been a new dialogue between the two traditions that is bringing about greater respect between them. Tibetan Buddhists often appear at Hindu religious gatherings and partake in all manner of discussions….(cont)

10. Nate says:

…Nor is the attempt to connect the two traditions limited to modern times. Various synthetic Hindu-Buddhist teachings have existed through history. Buddha himself was born a Hindu and some scholars have argued that Buddhism as a religion apart from Hinduism did not arise until long after the Buddha had passed away. A Shiva-Buddha teaching existed in Indonesia in medieval times, and for many Tantric Yogis it is difficult to tell whether they were Hindus or Buddhists. Buddha became accepted as an avatar of Vishnu during the period while Buddhism was still flourishing in India, and most Hindus still consider that we live in the age of the Buddha-avatar. Most Hindus accept Buddha, even if they do not accept all Buddhist teachings…" (Vamadeva Shastri)

11. "Perfection is a state of mind, when it is pure. I am beyond the mind, pure or impure. Awareness is my nature; ultimately I am beyond being and non-being." (I AM THAT. Sri Nisargadatta)

This quote is from none other than the spiritual classic by one of India's great sages. I first learned of it by my Zen teacher, but it is known and loved by spiritual seekers of all paths.

He speaks of awareness. Ahh, it always comes back to awareness. Living in awareness, as Krishnamurti was wont to say. That state beyond duality, beyond the separate self, beyond ego, beyond delusion and beyond the veil of maya. Beyond ignorance. Where none is seen as separate. Infinite consciousness.

"Most of the people in the world just do not know that there is a reality which can be found and experienced in consciousness," he says.

It is getting beyond the limitations of the body, beyond the trappings of the senses, beyond the limiting stories that bind us and hold us back. It is to go beyond contradictions themselves.

Love,
    ~Donna

12. Tom D. says:

"Ahh, it always comes back to awareness. Living in awareness, as Krishnamurti was wont to say. That state beyond duality, beyond the separate self, beyond ego, beyond delusion and beyond the veil of maya."

Yes! Thanks for this article, Donna. This clarifies some of my own questions!

13. […] via Is There Conflict Between Zen and Kundalini Yoga? ~ Donna Quesada | elephant journal. […]

14. maza says:

The Buddha was a kundalini yogi, the is not a person that as ever lived or ever will live, that will find enlightenment whithout kundalini being aroused,, although do. Remember. That kundalini is just a name given to it in the last fer thousand years by a certain groupe of. People, and. It has been called many names by many groups of people throut time.

15. possible says:

I want to thank Padma for pointing out the shortcomings of the original article. I read no animosity into that questioning.

Goenka-style Vipassana does explicitly discourage mixing the insight meditation practice with energetic practices.

Kundalini yoga and taoist microcosmic orbit meditation techniques (Mantak Chia) encourage one to move energies around the body.

In my experience, this is very different from moving one's awareness around the body (Vipassana), or from observing and accepting the totality of one's experience by letting go of all intentionality (Adyashanti – True Meditation).

There are Tibetan practices ( as taught by Reginald Ray) which are similar in having a directed, intentional "breathing" energy into specific parts of the body, as a way to open specific energy centres.

I have changed my orientation from wanting enlightenment — I have learned a lot, and am if anything slightly hesitant of it as I intuit its inevitability given enough life experience and meditation, which I do still enjoy regularly.

Now I am much more interested in learning Tantra and kundalini, but I feel that these practices can be quite powerful, and want to find information to help make sure that my approach is safe, and that I understand why the warnings are given.

I do see the goals of the practices as distinct in some way, and I think it is important to note that Vedanta is essentially solipsistic, whereas Tantra is more earthy, bodily and interactive. I think the kundalini yoga may be influenced strongly when taught from a vedanta perspective.

This article asks a very important practical question, and I am grateful for that.

I would really like more information from someone who knows both sides well enough to express and explain the nuances, the limits of compatibility and suggest a reasonable approach.

All the best,