elephant journal is proud to be the official new media partner with LOHAS Forum. Click here for our ongoing LOHAS coverage, and be sure to follow our live coverage on Twitter. [Our editor Waylon Lewis is honored to serve on two panels during this event.]
Entrepreneurs, boot-strappers by nature, have no advertising budget. Pitching a product to the press, therefore, is one attractive idea. Think: “Oprah’s Favorite Things.”
Magazines, newspapers, blogs, they’re all worth contacting. But pitching ain’t easy. Katy Saeger, Managing Partner, Saeger Media Group, outlined the do’s and don’ts at the LOHAS Forum 2011.
So You Think You Can Pitch? Follow these Tips!
1) Know who you really are. Your authentic self is doing interesting things, share them.
2) What time is it? Breaking News best for blogs and newspapers. In June/July, pitch glossy magazines for December.
3) Should you use Facebook or Twitter to contact reporters? Twitter is better for direct contact; Facebook, getting your message out there.
4) While you pitch: Be a human. Get to point. Keep it brief. Open the door for conversation. Have a few angles ready. Don’t be TOO creative, though. You’re not Maya Angelou.
5) Wait a few days to follow up by email. Be CAREFUL with phone calls.
P.S. Never Use These Terrible Phrases
1) “You should write about me…”
2) “Have I got a story for you…”
3) “Did you get my email?”
In short, pay attention to the publication’s audience. Tailor your talk to their readers.
Heather Munro Marshall is a freelance writer, yoga teacher and creator of Namaspray® yoga mat cleaner She did NOT make the finals at the Naturally Boulder pitch slam last year.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,377 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares Why I Snort Raw Cacao. 9,473 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,018 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 8,186 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 6,928 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 151 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,239 shares You’ve Ruined Me for Anyone Else. 1,735 share The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,821 share