- Everyone seems to have an opinion on where home prices are headed. Housing bulls are saying prices may start rebounding as early as later this year. Some housing bears are saying that prices may still drop another 10-15%. What actually is going to happen? No one knows for sure.
However, Macro Markets, a financial technology company, actually surveyed 108 economists, real estate experts, and investment and market strategists for their June 2011 Home Price Expectations Survey. They then averaged all 108 opinions. Here is what the report says about house prices over the next five years:
- 2011: prices will depreciate 3.52%
- 2012: prices will appreciate .46%
- 2013: prices will appreciate 2.18%
- 2014: prices will appreciate 2.92%
- 2015: prices will appreciate 3.47%
Accumulative appreciation (including this year’s projected depreciation) will stand at 5.71% in 2015.
The experts say home prices will begin to see appreciation next year and return to historic levels of annual appreciation by 2015.
Reprinted from Keeping Current Matters – KCM Blog