“I Saw A Hole in the Man”

Via on Jul 18, 2011
Mayan Cosmos

What you are about to read, and then hopefully listen to, is one of the most beautiful tales I have ever heard. It gives me goosebumps when I hear it. The truth, and meaning behind it, about what is wrong with man, and why humanity suffers is unnerving.

I have watched the movie Apocalypto more times than I can count. The movie itself left me wanting so much more, I absolutely needed to know everything I could find out about these ancient people. I read almost every book I could find that was not about 2012.

Whats sad is that when people talk about Mayan Culture, it is usually about how ruthless they were as a people, and more recently about their 2012  forecast of impending doom (which by the way I believe is actually a time we will usher in peace, and a new way of living, but that is neither here nor there).

The Popol Vuh, or the Mayan story of creation is probably one of the best books I have ever read, and at a time when I was searching for something to believe in it was there for me.

Anyway if you haven’t seen the movie Apocalypto,  it is certainly worth watching, especially because it shows the Mayan people in all of their forms, from rich to poor, to those who were not even counting. Also, after you read this, please watch the video. Although it is the same story, it is so much different when you hear it coming from the mouth of an elderly Mayan shaman (a real one, they cast the local Mayans-some wanting nothing but ice cream or chickens as payment), or guru, or teacher, in the true Yucatan Mayan dialect. Enjoy!

“And a man sat alone
drenched in deep sadness.
And all the animals drew near to him and said:
We do not like to see you so sad…
Ask us for whatever you wish and you shall have it.
The man said:
I want to have good sight.
The vulture replied:
You shall have mine.
The man said:
I want to be strong.
The jaguar replied:

You shall be strong like me.
The man said:
I long to learn the secrets of the earth.
The serpent replied:
I will show them to you.
And so it went with all of the animals.

And when the man had all the gifts that they could give…..he left.
Then the owl said to the other animals:

Now the man knows much and is able to do many things….Suddenly I am scared.
The deer said:
The man has all that he needs now his sadness will stop..

But the owl replied :

No….I saw a hole in the man…deep like a hunger he will never fill.
It is what makes him sad and what makes him want.
He will go on taking and taking….
Until one day the world will say: I am no more and I have nothing left to give.”

YouTube Preview Image

[The picture of the tree above is The Cebia Tree of Life, it represents the Mayans transition from the underworld to the “middle grounds” and then to the heavens.]

Peace Y’all
JC

About Jennifer Cusano

Jennifer Cusano, social media aficionado, research connoisseur, and writer du jour, is a Yogi on a path of personal exploration and long overdue healing. Managing Editor for YOGANONYMOUS, Producer for Where Is My Guru, Director of Social Media for YOGASCAPES and TumericALIVE, wife and mother of three, Jenn is really a superhero in disguise—or so she likes to think. In her spare time Jenn likes to read about and search for vampires, so if you happen to know or come across one, please do send them her way. Hit her up on Facebook or Twitter to discuss the various methods of tracking down said vampires. Also she is more than a little uncomfortable writing about herself in the third person, it may just be the hardest thing she's had to do, and that's saying something...

Comments

13 Responses to ““I Saw A Hole in the Man””

1. Keith says:

What a beautiful post. Just that, I thoroughly enjoyed this part of my day and its thanks to you.

2. yogiclarebear says:

powerful. excellent share jenn.

3. I love it! I was compelled to share it right away, I have other things I am working on but the immediacy I felt with this was unnerving!! Thanks :) Hey did you watch the video?

4. Jose says:

I absolutely love this movie. My father didn't really like it as much as I did and he said because it was about the negativity of the people. Ruthless and Arrogant. I do not agree. I think I exposed an entire spectrum of people as you said, from Dirt Poor to The Imperial Rich. When I saw this film, I absolutely felt a deep connection with the Mayan people. It was eerie like really strange. My emotions got the best of me. I sobbed during certain scenes. It was something I had no control over. I don't know what became of me. But it was great! Thanks for the post.

5. jay says:

Same concept as the Hungry Ghost and insatiable desire. Very powerful.

6. libbi says:

Best I've read today! btw, your description of yourself at the end perfectly describes ME! Its nice to meet you!

7. Ruthie says:

I think this is a great video and beautiful Mayan quote, but this movie was very inaccurate and a total Mel Gibson blood fest. I traveled to the Yucatan last year and visited Tikal. We were privileged to have a Mayan guide that explained much of the Maya history and dispelled a lot of rumors and inaccuracies created specifically from the movie, Apacolypto. Please take the time to research for yourself out of respect for this culture.

8. Ruthie says:

Hello Jennifer,

I totally respect your post and what you are saying. I will check out some of the books listed above. I was speaking more to the other folks posting comments in here. Thank you again for this article. Beautiful posting. I've re-posted the video in other social networking spots <3