Burning Man “is soooo Amazing.”

Via on Aug 25, 2011

Everyone there seems to agree. Me…I’m not sure.

The art…yes. The big boots and faux fur and Mad Max style…no. The drugs…nanh—I get high off life, the present moment, that’s my lineage. The sharing…yes. The eco-inspired camps…yes. The dust…yes and no. The burning and driving and creepers? Nanh. The parties…sounds good. The get-out-of-daily-life-for-a-week? Sounds good.

Still, something about the wild abandon seems desperate—as if it’s a gathering for those who, all year, are cubicle-bound or suppressing something…why not bring a little of this joy passion sex style art to every day, and celebrate all year long?

Maybe they do that, too. Enjoy:

PS: hi, AG. ^

About elephant journal

12 Responses to “Burning Man “is soooo Amazing.””

1. Provocateur says:

hmmmm, your perspective sounds suspiciously akin to a eunuch discussing sex.
    …Being that you have never been to the event yourself, how can you trust your notions?

• Kkw says:

Love that Analogy. Well said Provocateur. Pick up on a bitterness to the above, not what I expect from elephant journal and to be honest left a bad taste in my mouth about you guys. This "desperate" chic is headed home tomorrow. And yeah, lots of us do live our lives that way the rest of the year too…

• Provocateur says:

Yes, the little diddy above did strike me as really jaded and pre-digested. Like having someone chew your food for you before you swallow it and then complaining about the lack of taste.
        Given the nature of this site (non-new agey spirituality is it?) the irony is thick enough to spread around here. That the above staff writer would attempt to objectively judge the internal experiences of 20,000 people having their own visions, challenges, awakenings, breakdowns, breakthru's and the like out in the open spaces…to what end but to reveal their own bad breath?
        Just sayin.
        And they didn't even mention that the whole place runs on BIKES!!!!

2. Juliet D says:

But DAMN, I miss the MUSIC

3. Yogatchr says:

This will be my 7th burn. We finished packing the trailer tonight. Playa dust poofed from half the stuff I piled on. I love that dust. I am pretty much happy wherever you plant me though. The playa is what you bring to it and I intend to bring joy, freedom, and community. Can't wait to go home. And I am just not cool enough to not like it.

4. Yogatchr says:

A much better representation that the above video

5. Alli B says:

this isn't to say that the people that attend burning man do not celebrate life, art, sex, style, creativity all year long. nearly every person I know who attends the festival celebrates these values on an every day basis. they will wear their feathers and their leather and their sparkles all year round and they will share, create and inspire every day. in many way, burning man is a ritual for many that are part of this sub-culture

6. Melissa says:

Lisa, I thought the same thing. That video looked more like a preview for some type of alternative strip club than Burning Man. A poor choice of footage. Anyone on the east coast do Starwood? It's a lot tamer than Burning Man, but still fun. It is also more spiritually geared for those who have more interest in that.

7. ahimsa says:

Ive just returned from BM and I have a hard time describing the event to folks that have never been. The clip from Yogatchr is by far more accurate than that shown above. The spirit of giving, coexisting free from judgement and open arms of perfect strangers is the bliss that is BM. Show me another person able to bring 50k people together anywhere else on this planet with goals more alligned than this event and I assure you I will travel great lengths to participate there as well.

8. Undeniably imagine that that you said. Your favourite reason seemed to be at the internet the simplest thing to keep in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get irked at the same time as folks consider worries that they plainly don’t know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , other people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

9. bentrem says:

nihilists

–WillowBear

p.s. how can you miss the music? there's 108,000 tonnes of great music on the web! http://live.deadmau5.com/