Passive-Aggressive (Buddhist) Note.

Via on Aug 14, 2011

Really? All about compassion?

Don’t spray, or spray with an organic pesticide that, while it might still kill the poor illiterate bugs, might at least be less-bad for plants, dogs, children, and our planet generally.

About Waylon Lewis

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

15 Responses to “Passive-Aggressive (Buddhist) Note.”

1. Padma Kadag says:

Well……they are aware of their actions and the effect of the action. Hopefully. We do what we have to do with what knowledge we have…the warning which cannot be deciphered by any "vermin" does not lessen the karma. But the note is sort of "Cute"? hahaha

2. Carol Horton says:

Well, that's very interesting. I need some such Guardian Spirits in my own little garden plot! Which, by strange coincidence, I just wrote about – along with my feelings about killing bugs! http://thinkbodyelectric.blogspot.com/2011/08/wor… Odd.

3. zenteacher1 says:

Had this problem in the room we used for a Zendo a few years ago. The Sangha discussed the issue (ants) and the possibility of spraying to kill them. Ultimately, we decided to remove the items causing the ants to want to be inside our zendo (ie; sugar and other foods stored inside the room). We removed the attractors and cleaned the area and the ants went away and didn't return. However, we were prepared to spray if it didn't work. Sometimes one cannot avoid creating karmic debt but as Padma Kadag pointed out; being aware of that fact is paramount.

4. To kill bugs or not kill bugs is an ethical/moral/karmic decision.
    To pretend they know how to read to make yourself feel better about killing them is just silly.
    I hope this was meant as a joke.

• Katherine says:

Or perhaps it was written an posted by someone who was "out voted" to gently remind others what they are doing? The note does not make clear who it's being passive aggressive towards. One must know the writer and the circumstances.

5. Niight says:

My mom taught me a similar practice. The only difference is that you say it aloud, and it works.

6. elephantjournal says:

#
    Billy A. Fezai Blaah.
    about an hour ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Moonpads Reusable Menstrual Pads Oh goodness.
    45 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Jim Wamsley Since this appears to be written in chinese, and considering the chinese government has taken upon itself the role of controller of all things buddhist, then the ignorance of the note begins to make perfect 'sense'; simply saying that it is, makes it so. we are your protector and we know what is best for you and how to make it happen. ROFLMAO!!!!

#
    Carrie Pinter oh my gosh

#
    Zvi Baranoff Reminds me of the warning given in the Hitchhiker's Guide right before the destruction of Planet Earth.

7. How thoughtful of them to include the message in Mandarin, just in case one of the ants was an immigrant! But one would have expected a Spanish version too! LOL!

8. Alyosha says:

This is funny. But karma is linked to intention. So the sentiment has some power.

And then the monastery goes and hires a Muslim exterminator.

9. Jenifer says:

This is helpful. I'll leave a note for the mice before I set the traps.

10. funnyone says:

Hmm. I'll leave a note before i beat the crap out of that old woman.

11. Funny….I usually just leave the bugs alone or move them outside. And as you mentioned, pesticides are just as bad for me, my kids & my pets so I really don't like to use them. Maybe I should start warning the mice, chipmunks, etc. about the cats though;)