Eating For Beauty.

Via on Sep 16, 2011

I’m sure you’ve heard of him, elixir craft master and longevity guru extraordinaire: David Avocado Wolfe.

Perhaps the world’s most known rawist, nutritionist and health and beauty expert, he’s also written a number of books, one of which I read during a recent 7-day cleanse called “Eating for Beauty.”

I’ve been drawn to David’s products and wisdom for years. It seems everything he offers is pure, radiant, earth-friendly and well, yeah, pretty much raw, but what draws me the most to him time and time again is his radiantly positive and charismatic energy, which is also present (and its art form discussed) throughout this book.

Eating for Beauty offers a perspective that beauty is an achievement and in order to attain it, there are certain things we must do, or shall we say eat. Beauty being defined as mental and emotional poise, spiritual presence and physiological attractiveness. All of which, according to Wolfe, is a result of consistent practice.

Things that you do every now and then do not really affect your life–it is what you do consistently, such as eating food that controls your destiny.

Have you ever thought about why you eat the way you do? Perhaps it’s due to so-called ‘ideal’ dietary patterns that have been set-up for us since we were born, most of which are no means ‘truths’ or necessarily good for us. Or, perhaps you do as you do because the ‘experts’ don’t seem to agree. Either way, the best advice this book gives is to judge by results, not by theory.

“The bigger the lie the more people will believe it.” – Josef Goebbels

Wolfe says that the way to live in peace, love and harmony with nature and animals is a raw-food based diet. He believes it is also the healthiest and optimal way to fully benefit from vital nutrients and minerals, hence it is the secret of his beauty diet. Wolfe believes a raw food diet puts us back in touch with our food instincts, helps to detoxify and balance our bodies making them more symmetrical and more attractive in appearance and that overall, it generates optimal digestion, inner cleanliness, cell rejuvenation and therefore the best anti-aging abilities and longevity one can ask for.

Did you know that laughter and love vibrate on the same level as raw food?

What is the ideal image of your self? Are you eating as if you are a work of art? What you are eating now could be leading you toward a certain destination whether it is destruction or success. Wolfe believes that beauty and grace are our natural states and that we can all get there if we learn to unwind our bad habits, our negative attitudes and open ourselves to the unlimited possibilities that nature has to offer.

Physical beauty is a function of inner cleanliness. When we practice yoga, we not only stretch but also strengthen the body. We also detoxify and purify. Yoga promotes symmetry of the body as both sides are being asked to work equally. Combining yoga with a raw-food based diet can have magical effects. Yoga helps the body to release stagnant and negative emotions and perceptions – combining it with the most optimal fuel available (a raw-food plant-based diet) helps us to tap into a reservoir of abundance, exuberant happiness, vitality and confidence.

Making the change. All changes take time and not everyone can handle quitting anything ‘cold turkey’ – here’s an encouraging poem from this book that reflects a bit of one yogic thought, find your limits, expand your boundaries

A word to the wise:

Habit does advise

That a sudden shift

May be too swift.

A shift’s gift

May stir and uplift

Things of the past,

Best released slow

Instead of fast

When you continue to strive

Slow changes arrive,

Persistency is like a gauge,

Step by step, page by page,

Consistency is nature’s wage

That unlocks any cage.

This is only the mere tip of the iceberg of this book! If you have a calling and want a change in your life or need some inspiration, I highly recommend it. It’s entertaining, has a massive amount of knowledge, interesting facts, research, wisdom and a ton of recommendations for additional reading and further exploration.

The universe rewards the virtues of discipline and perserverance!

You are a work of art in progress!

About Tanya Lee Markul

Yoga Editor, Elephant Journal. I yoga, write, take photos and I investigate existentially. I got a thing for those who have found expression through some form of mastery or artistic fashion, and sincerity. (You set me free I set you). I adore anything that is equally cute and creepy. The most special ingredient you can find, be and put into anything is: yourself. Remember, everything you want, you already have and are. Look within. The more you use it, the more it will grow. For more randomness and love, visit me at Rebelle Lotus and, you don't want to miss the creative rebellion at Rebelle Society. Join us.

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

17 Responses to “Eating For Beauty.”

1. Meg Worden says:

This is one of my favorite books. I gift this one to many of my clients! Thanks for the fantastic review, Tanya.

• Tanya Lee Markul says:

What a great gift to give – great idea!! It was absolutely the most inspiring books I have read of its kind! Thanks Meg! :-)

2. Sara says:

David Wolf is the man. I had this book years ago and it blew my mind. Still does!

• Tanya Lee Markul says:

Totally agree Sara! It was definitely one of the BEST books I could have read during a cleanse! Thanks so much for the comment! :-)

3. Looks like a great book! Just posted it to the elej facebook page. Cheers!

4. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hey Tobye! By struggling with thermogenesis do you mean you struggle with gain?

From what I've read about Kapha, it seems things like as apples, pears, pomegranates, cranberries, and apricots are SUPER and all vegetables are recommended with the exception sweet and juicy vegetables such as sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and zucchini. Kapha shouldn't eat large quantities of food and avoid dairy (creates too much mucus) and can usually succeed on a high raw diet – if they eat intelligently. What do you think? But maybe not everything has to be raw, but steamed, which still allows for a lot of the enzymes to remain alive?

I just want to say (now I'm not 100% raw, more like 80%), that the raw food umbrella is quite a big one and has something for everyone. I think we sometimes forget just how much nature has to offer! :-)

5. radiant one says:

Beautiful book, author and model here! I was all raw for 7 years and it blew out my spleen and wrecked havoc with my system. Raw food rocks but an entire raw diet over time vs short cleanses, is not healthy for most body types. Please see your accupuncturist or other natural doc and check in around this! xo

• Tanya Lee Markul says:

Great advice! And, wow it would be great to have a Q&A with David Wolfe about all of this stuff! I have read that a raw food diet takes time, but I've never heard of it having detrimental impacts on the body like that — yikes! Perhaps an idea is that we don't need to be completely raw, but partially to benefit from the indisputable minerals and nutrients raw food has to offer. :-)

6. Thaddeus1 says:

I have to say that I just had the displeasure of actually hearing David Wolfe speak at Bhakti Fest. Setting aside the glaring contradictions between his grandiose claims hinting at immortality and the foundational principles of yoga pertaining to the cycle of inevitable birth and death and his complete ignorance regarding the history of bhakti yoga in America, I have two words…Vata Imbalace.

And so to chime in on the side of yogi tobye and radiant one, I would encourage everyone to explore their diet from either an Ayurvedic or Traditional Chinese Medicine perspective. When it comes to health, longevity and balance, it's really hard to beat the wisdom contained within these traditions rooted in 5000 years of experience. This is not the first time in the microscopic history of the west that raw food has been touted as the next great thing, but like most flash in the pan ideals it never seems to stand the test of time and from my very limited experience with Mr. Wolfe, I can now understand why.

• Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hi Thaddeus1, thanks for your comments! I haven't had the pleasure or displeasure of hearing David Wolfe speak, but I'd like to find out for myself And, I in my opinion, everyone probably feels the best when they follow their instincts and does what's best for them – the question is – how do we know when we are actually using our instincts? :-)

7. Sara Young says:

I too suffer from not being able to eat raw foods….my acupuncturist and naturopath have both warned me against it. I think it is great that he is charismatic and lovely, but using Adolf Hitler to prove a point sets off a bit of a red flag with me, and can also be used to argue against this eating routine. It is dangerous to tell everyone that one style of eating is suitable for all of them.

• Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hi Sara – Thanks so much for your comment! Do you mean that you can't eat raw foods at all? I am very curious about this. I took the Adolf Hitler quote straight from the book – it is a bit extreme, but I guess it can get the point across in some ways. Ah! I don't think David Wolfe (and I am definitely not doing this) is telling anyone to eat one style – but perhaps just to consider adding more raw food into their diet and if they feel it, to go for it. That's all. That's definitely the theme of the book – to figure it out what is best for you! :-)

8. Andréa Balt says:

Hey Tanya, thanks for this recommendation. I like David Wolfe and I've been eating a high-raw vegan diet for over three years. It's been a very rewarding journey so far with its ups and downs. I've never felt more beautiful or alive.

I used to be a junk food, high-fat & processed, lazy vegetarian so the initial detox was difficult. I started on the raw & vegan path without really knowing what I was doing or how to go about it, and I kept learning along the way. All I knew when I started was: eat-raw-food-most-of-the-time-if-not-all. So I started mixing up to 20 different kinds of veggies in a salad (crrraaazyyy), which was quite explosive at the time. :)

It got better though. It's like learning a new language, at first everything is confusing, you have no idea what to say or do, you don't understand a thing, everything you say comes out wrong, it's a little messy and frustrating. And then, one day, without even realizing it, you're in, you get it and you start speaking the language. The words start coming naturally to you. You start eating good and nutritious food intuitively. Your body has registered new sources of vitamins and minerals and it will just ask you for whatever it needs.

For me, the secret was in the greens. The more raw greens I consumed, the better I felt, mentally and physically. People started noticing and asking me what the hell was 'right' with me. My body calmed down, my mind cleared, my skin was literally glowing and my teeth got whiter. I was even able to reverse some small cavities. It is truly amazing to witness your body change right in front of you. My cravings have also changed over time. For instance, now I will crave stuff like mango and raw broccoli – and I mean sometimes I want it so bad I could just eat an entire broccoli on the spot, like a goat. This would have never happened in my previous life.

By the way, if you're familiar with David Wolfe's profile, if you've seen/heard him talk in videos, here is a funny video where both him and Matt Monarch (another raw food advocate) get spoofed by Daniel Vitalis. I find it hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-oE2otVJk

9. [...] Natural health pioneers such as David Wolfe (Eating For Beauty); [...]

10. Tanya Lee Markul says:

I guess I try and take whatever positive I can from situations – I don't want to depict David Wolfe's lectures as I haven't attended any. I have just recently read this book and there were many parts that I felt were very truthful and inspiring. :-) I didn't feel condemned to a raw food diet at all. But, I have to say that eating raw foods makes sense to me – it doesn't really get more basic or natural than that. I'm not saying everyone should go out and go 100% raw, but perhaps see if incorporating any of it 'speaks' to them. That's all.

As we begin to purify the body and relieve ourselves of negativity, I think we naturally begin to vibrate on a different level and in turn begin to become aware of our own subtle vibrations – perhaps we even begin to become aware of certain cravings or are drawn to certain foods (to whatever our physical body wants in order to run optimally). I think most of us are not even close to this level (myself included) so we seek others to guide the way. I believe it takes a long time for us to really become in touch with our instincts when it comes to this arena, but I believe it's worth the effort and trying if it seems to be working. :-)