My project, 25 Days, is going to take me to 15 cities across the U.S. this year. I am in Denver, my third city. I will be doing yoga and riding my bike in each city. I will report to you on my adventures and misdemeanors here.
As I planned for my one-year cross country adventure, I was considering all the things I would need to pack, all the things I would not have to bring, and all the things that might weigh me down if I took them with me. While I absolutely adore sex, I decided that this would be a sex-free year for me, for a number of reasons.
- Distraction: If done in the proper manner, sex can be a distracting activity which takes you away from the task at hand at any given moment or opportunity.
- Messy: Sex can be messy, both literally and metaphorically. I have no time or inclination to bring all of the accoutrements that must go along with proper sex.
- Potato Chip Factor: Good sex is like potato chips. You can’t eat just one, and even when you feel like you might be “finished”, you want more.
- Broken Hearts: I have had enough of them. I have had my heart broken and have broken more hearts than I care to recount. This is something that could happen if sex is thrown into the mix, and I am not sure I need one more thing to worry about while I am on the road.
- Danger: I am pretty sure I don’t have to illustrate why this is the case.
So, here I am in Denver. Right now, it is tough. My teeth are itching and I suddenly have great compassion for seventeen year old boys. I have been propositioned, but I am proud to say that I stood firm. I am thinking it will get better as time goes on and distance grows between myself and my last sexual encounter. That is what I am counting on, anyway. Please, someone tell me that I am right. Please.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 632 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 6 shares Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 3,759 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,117 share Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 1,049 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,474 shares The Astrology of 2017: Letting Go & Shining your Light. 1,256 share These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,392 share