Having Yogasms (The Big Yohhh?)

Via on Sep 30, 2011

It’s no secret that our culture represses sexuality. So it’s no surprise that after years of harvesting repressed sexual emotions, one might find that they quite literally flow out of you. Especially when you are doing something that is meant to open you up, like for instance while practicing your asanas.

The mula bandha, or the root-lock, is one of three interior locks in Yoga. Physically it is almost the same thing as a kegel exercise for a woman, but with guidance from your instructor, coupled with specific breathing patterns, slow breathing patterns, you may find yourself experiencing some kind of arousal. Over time, these types of exercise can enable a woman to not only control her  orgasms, but the level of  their intensity can increase as well.

Enter the Yogasm. That’s right, women are claiming, much more frequently and openly now than they have in the past, to have full blown orgasms during their Yoga practice. While rumors of the Yogasm have run rampant for years, recently the discussion has become the topic du jour.

Sex therapists are also closing in on the phenomenon. “It’s another way a woman can bring herself to orgasm without touching herself”, claims sexologist Dr. Jeffre TallTrees.

In fact many women claim to have the elusive Yogasm during their Bikram Yoga, or Hot Yoga Classes. Bikram Yoga is done for ninety minutes, in a room heated to a minimum of one hundred and five degrees Fahrenheit, and a twenty six position cycle is performed in that time frame. You are heating and stretching the body.

According to BikramYoga.com this heated exercise makes your oxygenated blood move systematically to one hundred percent of your body, into each and every organ. You build pressure and cut off blood supply. When the pressure is released it creates a “lock-gate” effect, and the blood comes rushing back. For some participants these effects, remember they are happening in each and every part of the body, cause females to have orgasms. Especially during “feel-sexy” poses, like the camel pose.

An anonymous woman in NYC spoke to the Daily Beast about her recent Yogasm during class. She says “I was in lotus pose, focusing on breathing, and lifting the muscles of my pelvic floor,” it was then that her instructor came over and pressed his body against her back to better synchronize his breathing with hers. “I was tingling all over”.

This story makes sense, it had a lot to do with outside stimulation. The true phenomenon, I think, occurs when climax is reached working all by yourself. It’s an extremely personal thing that occurs, and the possibility of it happening doesn’t seem too far fetched, especially if you feel sexy during practice. You are all loose and sweaty, and Yoga is extremely graceful. Even when you are sitting and concentrating like the woman mentions above, added to the concentration of the pelvis, or the mula bandha and hello, of course it’s possible.

For all of you male Yogis out there don’t feel bad. While an in class orgasm may not be possible for you, you are surely reaping the sexual benefits as well. Even though men don’t have kegal muscles, the true key to practicing mula bandha is to “isolate the perineum, a crucial area of sexual pleasure for women and men”, says Allan Finger, founder of I.S.H.T.A (Integrated Science of Hatha, Tantra, and Ayurveda) Yoga. “When a man draws his sexual energy in and up toward his navel, he increases his ability to prolong his stamina in the bedroom”

Of course there are many skeptics out there, who question the validity of the Yogasm, but I think it’s real. Yoga improves your life in all aspects, why not this one as well. Though it may still be a bit taboo to talk about, that doesn’t mean it is not true.

Peace Y’all

Jenn

About Jennifer Cusano

Jennifer Cusano, social media aficionado, research connoisseur, and writer du jour, is a Yogi on a path of personal exploration and long overdue healing. Managing Editor for YOGANONYMOUS, Producer for Where Is My Guru, Director of Social Media for YOGASCAPES and TumericALIVE, wife and mother of three, Jenn is really a superhero in disguise—or so she likes to think. In her spare time Jenn likes to read about and search for vampires, so if you happen to know or come across one, please do send them her way. Hit her up on Facebook or Twitter to discuss the various methods of tracking down said vampires. Also she is more than a little uncomfortable writing about herself in the third person, it may just be the hardest thing she's had to do, and that's saying something...

40 Responses to “Having Yogasms (The Big Yohhh?)”

1. Oh, ohhhhh, ahhh, uhhhh, ohhhhhhhm!

Heehee!

This is very cool. I've never had an orgasm during yoga, but camel pose (and really any backbends, hip openers, chest openers) do feel incredibly sexy at times. I guess it's a reason to commit to daily asana;)

2. Susi says:

This is the second article I’ve read in just a few days about this. Universal unconscious I guess…. Actually, I learned that mula bandha and kegels are slightly different…mula bandha being more focused on lifting the perineal area. Not a huge difference I guess but I definitely remember a distinction. No, I never had a spontaneous orgasm during yoga ( although Nautilis machine, yes, and so, so close during ballet rehearsal once. But then, like you said, squeeze those muscles a few times and that’s it. (Actually I learned this when I was 14 …before learning about mula bandha or kegels.

• THey are definitely not the same thing the mula bandha and the kegel, I just wanted to give a reference point that I had actually read about myself. Thanks for sharing!!

Jenn

3. Guest says:

Ok, first of all, it's a "Kegel exercise" (named after Dr. Arnold Kegel), not a "kegal." And of course men do have these so-called Kegel muscles as well. The pubococcygeus muscle exists for both men and women, and is part of the levator ani group that forms the pelvic floor.

• Thank you so much for the correction!! I will fix it now! Also can a man exercise his Kegel muscles? Thanks for the clarification!

Jenn

• Saida says:

Absolutely!

Both men and women have amazing pelvic floor muscles which include the pubococcygeus muscle as the Guest above mentions. There are many other muscles also involved and both sexes can improve their 'continence' as well as sexual function through different types of pelvic exercises.

Thank you for your article!

4. Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Bob W. Editor
    Facebook / Twitter

5. Yogamamba says:

Why’s everyone so desperate to have orgasm? Especially during yoga class. What a hassle! Anyway. What’s the big deal? People have been having orgasms for years. Seems like a desparate bid by studios suffering financialy to fill classses by offering people yogasms in class. Next thing you”ll be getting weekend workshops on this. Hahahaahaha.

• I actually had a twitter friend say to me that she wouldn't be surprised to find whole classes based on this concept in the not so distant future. So maybe you aren't that far off. Who knows really. It makes for a good conversation piece at least. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn

• There are also women who've gone years without having orgasms. There are people, mostly women, who are extremely frustrated because of there inability to have even good orgasms let alone great ones. I don't see why trivializing or laughing at someones most fundamental human functions is necessary nor very humanitarian. And I see no evidence this is a ploy from the studios.

• Ren says:

David thank you. And even if there were a "ploy", I highly doubt that a women who have been struggling to achieve orgasm would mind much. One of the most embarrassing things about not being able to climax is the shock or disbelief that other people display when they find out.

If you don't need orgasms, become a nun. But let the rest of us enjoy the healing benefits of yoga regardless of what ailment we desire to heal. ;)

6. Hi Jen,

Interesting topic. Begs a few questions- how do you define orgasm? What is mula bandha- it is not the same as a Kegel- mula bandha in women is a associated with the neck of the cervix. A Kegel is way of engaging all the vaginal muscles. Just lifting everything from the waist down for all it is worth is definitely not going to increase sexual pleasure. However, learning how to engage pelvic floor muscles in different combinations and different positions definitely can lead to arousal- and should! Victorian definitions and constructions of sexuality combined with Hindu repulsion toward the physical has led to a complete absence of genitalia in the yoga room. We know where our head of the arm bone is but no one wants to talk about the clit being stimulated in janusirsasana B. The example of the student with her teacher brushing against her is ill-placed I think, and detracts from what could be a really interesting discussion. Awakening of kundalini is available in all positions, at all times not just in yoga, but the spinal movements in yoga as well as the potential to shake free blocked energy increases the orgasmic potential.

• I'm not sure what the definition of orgasm is for these women, I have never experienced this myself. I think that the comparison between the kegel excersise and the mula bandha is meant to be a comparison, not an exact reflection. Sort of a reference point for lack of a better term. You are drawing the same conclusions as I am here, I completely agree, though it sounds like you know just a bit more about this than i do. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn

• Thaddeus1 says:

I think your placement may be slightly off in janu sirsasana B if you are receiving clitoral stimulation. The heal should be placed into the pernieum, not into the sex organs. As Tim Miller so aptly puts it, "In janu B, the heal's between the poo poo and pee pee." In addition, the foot and toes should be running down the inside of the leg so as to remain visible on the inside of the leg. This proper placement should help you avoid clitoral stimulation, unless of course this is what you are going for. Hope this is helpful.

7. Yogamamba says:

Orgasm is what you don’t want as a yogi. This topic is not discussed in the tradition for specific reasons. Suffice to say it leads to depression. Ayurveda says that if one observes the period following orgasm it is during this time that most relationships and marriages tend to break down. The attitude in tantra is ‘that on which the body falls is used by the body to lift itself’. So using this principal the yogi uses that through which consciuosness apparently ‘falls’ – the body- to lift himself up.

• Do you mean an orgasm leads to depression? So what you are saying then is that it is better to not have an orgasm. But under these circumstances, having an orgasm during class, there is no marriage or relationship to break down after that–you are doing it yourself to yourself. Do you think that the depression observation is still applicable in this instance?

• From what I've experienced, orgasm leading to depression is a symptom of people who're repressed or depressive in the first place. People who are emotionally and physically healthy get much heightened states of intimacy, relaxation and parasympathetic (healing) activity in their bodymind after orgasm. It is a totally positive thing for healthy people. The idea of orgasm leading to relationship breakdown is only true of relationships built on false foundations.

Those who get depressed after orgasm are, for example, sinking into a fear of letting go into another human being, and that fear of letting go includes a letting go of the ego-self, OR, a fear of loss of the love of the other person, real or imagined.

So those who get depressed are probably excessively attached to their self-identity, so some people react negatively when their ego dissolves, even slightly, because it is experienced as a kind of death of self, even if only partial. Others get different negative emotions such as anger. This also explains why some yoga people, who are WAY too attached to the idea of detachment, get these kinds of ideas. (Krishnamurti once explained why the Western ideas of detachment was way off base compared to the original teachings.)

• Scott_Newsom says:

Right on man. Orgasms suck. Or does that lead to orgasms? I forget. Anyway, My Guru, Swami Beyondaponda, tells me that if i do inadvertantly have an orgasm, I should immediately suck up all the goo while it still retains the prana. Is that what you do? Also, is there any way for women to trap and reintegrate the prana from their orgasms? If anyone would know, I'm sure an expert like you would. Thanks in advance for any additional wisdom you would like to share.

8. Jordan says:

I have found Yoga classes to be very arousing. Particularly with finding deep relaxation in the beginning of class building up to more and more stimulating poses with the group building together in strong Ujjayi breathing. This can be an interesting place to find an edge, or to pay attention to sensations. I have felt rapture, shakti,tingles, or raw emotional energy at times as boundaries are explored and dissolved. Although, I have been told that sensation is what we strive for in yoga, finding rapture is just the beginning. Often diamond will is needed to keep from dissociating or “losing it.” And as our awareness penetrates deeper we may find the more subtle realms of the boundless dimension, and divine love, which typically involves a realized teacher for guidance.

• I personally have not felt any of what you just mentioned but then I am still just starting out. Though this is the first time I have heard that we strive for sensation in Yoga. Do you have any suggested reading for me? Thanks so much for sharing something so personal!
      Jenn

9. Dave says:

First, I don't think we should be encouraging yoga teachers to rub their bodies up against their students. Second, same thing.

10. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

11. [...] I have officially seen it all. After writing my last post about Yogasms, I was interested in the different ways sex and Yoga mingle, and what I found was a large array of [...]

12. Love this article, but I do believe men can experience them too. It's all about open the nadis (energy channels) and chakras (energy centers) throughout the body. A combo or breath, yoga poses, mediations and deep relaxation and voila! Anyone can have an orgasm in class! LOL!

13. [...] Having Yogasms (The Big Yohhh?) [...]

14. catnipkiss says:

I don't think I need to have orgasms IN class, but I do think that yoga can be better if you have just made love, you glow during the whole class (although you scampered and almost ran over a pedestrian to get there on time ;) I, too, have had orgasms in sleep, so I think it's possible in class, but I would rather concentrate on the yoga than wish for the "yogasm" bonus! However, at the times when I have a lover in my life (not currently :( :( – it is a great way to get ramped up for activity AFTER class. Hell, we ALL know yoga is sexy and makes you feel great! Namaste, baby……..

15. Julie says:

Men do have Kegel muscles of their own! And when they give'em a squeeze, the prostate gets stimulated, and guess what that feels like? AN ORGASM

16. allison says:

thank you for explained mula bandha as basically a kegel exercise!! i have been waiting for someone to just say that instead of “oh its difficult to explain” :) awesome article

17. Krishnabrodhi says:

“When a man draws his sexual energy in and up toward his navel, he increases his ability to prolong his stamina in the bedroom”. I love how this statement is meant as a bone throw to men but in actuality ends up meaning the possibility of even more orgasms for women. Tis a sad fact that this is probably never going to be a balanced game since mother nature gave us different sets of plumbing with different physical agendas.

18. [...] on a regular basis. I love dhanurasana (bow pose) for the way it opens my chest and shoulders. Ustrasana, or camel pose, is another great chest opener (and heart opener as well). Many teachers will plan to focus on [...]

19. Thanks for sharing!! I think there are skeptics about everything, sort of like for every good there is bad, or yin and yang–that type of thing. For every believer there is a non believer! Thanks again!

Jenn

20. Thankyou so much for explaining :) I was definitely a bit confused and I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to where I could research this further. I find it fascinating, and as someone who suffer from depression I am constantly trying to soak up more information. Thanks again!

Jenn

21. Yogamamba says:

@ Jenn- maybe keep an eye on the Urb@n Vedanta and Urb@n Yogi pages on facebook. You would most likely enjoy reading theme updates everyday.