It’s called humor, people! ~ Don Ogata

Via on Sep 1, 2011

Originally published by our elephriends over at Recovering Yogi on July 11 2011.

**********************************************************************************

It’s called humor, people!

By Don Ogata

I was in the middle of writing my latest post, “Politically incorrect events that make me laugh so hard I wet my pants” or “Things that crack up an incontinent, misogynistic, racist Buddha-head” when I realized it may attract some negative comments.

Actually, what I want to address is why some people seem to lose their sense of humor when they start on a path of spirituality. It’s especially baffling why someone would come to Recovering Yogi (a witty, sardonic, ironic website) and be a politically correct policeman policeperson person of police persuasion. The articles posted here are all written from a particular viewpoint, which is: “Life is a bitch so we might as well laugh at it.” Sometimes, in order to do that, you take something “serious” and add a dimension called “humor” to twist it slightly.

Here’s an example:

Being on a path of all things spiritual is a noble path to be on, and being Buddhist means there are eight of these noble paths. I’m pretty sure one of the paths is Truthful Sarcasm, both spoken and written. So in order to be a good Buddhist, sarcasm must always be forefront on your tongue and pen.

See, I just made an attempt at being witty. Along the way, that statement could be construed as being offensive to Buddhists, spiritualists and humorists. Others will read it, Google “Noble Eightfold Paths,” and respond that Truthful Sarcasm is not one of them; the author must have meant “Right Speech” and distorted it through the layers of damage they have amassed through drinking, smoking and abuse of small animals. Still others will read it and laugh. That’s it, just laugh. No interpretation, no analysis, no offense, just a chuckle, a nod of the head, and on to the next thing.

I know everything I say and write won’t appeal to everyone. Sometimes it won’t appeal to anyone, but that’s ok, it made me laugh at the time, which is all that counts.

There I go again, possibly offending the narcissists out there.

Personally, I think it’s okay to be spiritual but still be able to laugh at the absurd things that happen around you, even the ones that happen in the spiritual realm. So for those of you who don’t find a lot of humor in the articles here, maybe you shouldn’t be reading them. I know I won’t be offended if you don’t.

Oh, I want everyone to know that I don’t really laugh at incontinence (since that usually causes inadvertent leakage), misogyny is wrong (yeah, so all you women please just sit down), I’m not racist (I equally detest all races), and I am a Buddha-head, not the classic definition of being from Hawaii, but still an American of Japanese ancestry, so I can make that joke.

PS: My son just walked in and I was telling him my inspiration for this article. His comment was that maybe Knock Knock jokes would be more appropriate, so in honor of Matthew Teague’s recent story “When Yoga Attacks,” here you go:

Knock Knock

Who’s there?

Yoga

AUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!

About Don Ogata

Don Ogata lives in Southern California and is gainfully employed. He doesn’t have a blog or website and he doesn’t run his own business. His current passions are Yin Yoga and contemplating his next RY sticker placement. He can be found on Facebook or wallowing in self-pity from the Corporate Wasteland.

About Recovering Yogi

Far from the land of meaningless manifestation, vacuous positivity, and boring yoga speak lives Recovering Yogi, the voice of the pop spirituality counterculture and an irreverent forum where yogis, ex-yogis, never-yogis, writers, and readers converge to burst the bubble of sanctimonious rhetoric. We are critical thinkers and people who just love to laugh. Visit us on our web site for some straight talk, join the discussion on Facebook or Twitter, or buy a t-shirt and support our mission.

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

18 Responses to “It’s called humor, people! ~ Don Ogata”

1. Karen Eliot says:

Yay for humor and not taking things too seriously!! Or at the least, not getting offended when someone else thinks things are funny.

I have watched with dismay as people I have known lost the capacity for humor on their spiritual path. Loosen up. (It’ll do wonders for your yoga! :)

2. betterdeal says:

My Buddhist friend phoned for a pizza last night. They asked what he wanted. "Make me one with everything" he said.

3. NotSoSure says:

"Or at the least, not getting offended when someone else thinks things are funny.".

How about not getting offended when someone else thinks your jokes are not funny? I don't buy the "there is something wrong with you when you do not think I am funny" argument.

Personally, I liked the humor in this post. But the author totally lost me with his generalized ad hominem attacks. Why would the author feel the need for name calling (politically correct policemen, offending the narcissists) to make a point?

• Don says:

I'm glad you enjoyed the humor in my post and……well, sorry you were turned off by the humor in my post.

• NotSoSure says:

I see that you don't care to respond me calling you out on your ad hominem attack, you nutwad. Chill, calling you a nutwad is just humor. If you didn't think that was funny is because that you need to chill out. And according to your argument, name calling ceases to be name calling when you wrap it up in a package called Humor. Blow me you nutwad. Wow, this humor stuff allows one to get away with ANYTHING. Maybe you have some good Jew, nigger or retard jokes, jokes that have to be funny because they are humor.

• Louise Brooks says:

Wow, NotSoSure, humour is really lost on you.

Cheer up dude.

• NotSoSure says:

Plenty cheerful, thanks for caring.

And thanks for inadvertently confirming my point. You did not understand, as the poster does not, that calling something humor does not necessarily make it funny. My point is, and will continue to be, everyone on the planet has something they find offensive. Whining about that fact and placing the blame on others for not "cheering up" or telling them to lighten up is hypocritical.

• Serial killer much? Just kidding.

4. John says:

I love you sense of humour. Dry, witty and with a touch of Wild Turkey it could be better. Lol. Keep up the great work and the heck with all the nay Sayers who have no clue what a path of spirituality really means. Because without your humour your just an animated robot. Lol. I laugh at life every day. Besides laughter keeps you sane in this insane world, so be the laughing center of chaos and nothing can touch you. Just saying it’s how I roll

• Don says:

Thanks John, there's nothing like a bit of 101 proof goodness, occasionally with a splash of Coke, to keep seeing life through rose-colored glasses and/or bloodshot eyes. It's all good!

5. I'm offended that you made me laugh. Please make it stop. Cheers!

6. Louise Brooks says:

Thank you, thank you Don! Much needed laughs on a long Friday afternoon at work. It is soooooo damn healthy being able to laugh at oneself.

Cheers.

7. Don says:

Thanks Kate! Om on the range, that's funny!

8. Don says:

You must mean the illustration by the brilliant Vanessa Fiola! There's a whole section of them at recoveringyogi.com and you can even pick up a t-shirt there as well! Just a reminder that when you go to the site, please check your seriousness and furrowed brow in at the door, you can pick it up on your way out. :)