Sorry about all the poop: The 10 Commandments of your Dog.

Via on Sep 8, 2011

Bonus: Dog Whisperer videos teach you that your dog is the one teaching you.

~
Bonus: Don’t be sorry about Poop! Poop can Save the World!

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

38 Responses to “Sorry about all the poop: The 10 Commandments of your Dog.”

1. Roger Wolsey Roger Wolsey says:

I. so. needed. to. see. this. right. now.

My 15 year old geriatric pal Kingdom is on his last legs.

Grieving already.

2. Sara says:

Loooove it. Cried happy tears. Xo

3. Carolyn says:

Thanks for this, my 15+ yo Golden left us last week. We were there with her, she was loved and she loved us.

4. guest says:

Our blind, nearly 12 year old lab Arlo is such a lover. Tears now and love now too- while we have time.

5. Jamie says:

This needs to be a poster. Thank you. I stayed with my Lucky-Girl until the very end. Held her as she passed on. Was the hardest thing I have ever done. This affirmed it was the right decision. She was my canine soul mate. Honestly, I think our dogs teach us a hell of a lot about humanity.

6. Neiva Sukmawati says:

this posting made me cry!
    Very touching, and the look of this dog is priceless.

7. Lori says:

If you think about it, many of these could apply to children as well…In fact, in many ways, animals have more rights to be treated "humanely" in our society than children – children who are just as dependent, if not more so, on their parents as pets are on their owners. Furthermore, (and without additional "metaphysical proof"), children do not have any choice in picking their parents, just as animals don't have any choice in picking their owners. If you are a parent, you may want to ask yourself, if your child could fend for itself out in the wild, like a dog or cat might, would they run away from you? When they are no longer dependent on you and can live on their own, do you think they will voluntarily choose to relate with you, or will they seek to avoid you?

8. Sue says:

Lori. Yes this so works with a child or children in mind.

9. Nooshi says:

Cried. I miss Buster…

10. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

AWW

11. […] Elephant Journal Share this:EmailShareFacebookRedditDiggStumbleUponPrint Published: septiembre 9, 2011 Filed […]

12. wendy says:

my 17 year old is becoming very frail, is deaf and blind, has dementia, and it is sooo hard for me to "be" with it all…i know the time is coming where he will die, but i cannot bring myself to do it to him. i pray for his peaceful passing and that i have the strength to deal with it. i've had him since he was 6 weeks old and we've been through everything together. thanks for the article.

13. Roger Wolsey Roger Wolsey says:

I'm glad I could find this post once again. I tucked it away in my mind for when the time would come. Kingdom would've turned 16 next month. I had a doctor come to my home to euthanize him yesterday. It was a peaceful passing and so filled with love. He was ready and conveyed it. He is sorry for all the poop — but so glad to have been part of my family. Thank you Waylon for posting this. – your fellow dog lover, Roger

14. SMC says:

We helped our last guy pass some years ago. Of course it was heartbreaking, but we stayed present and loved him right through his transition, and it was so full of love and tears. We get to love them forever.

15. Jen says:

I am loving reading all of these beautiful comments. It reminds me that we are all full of love and that is what we are. Blessings…

16. Lee says:

My husband and step-daughter just put down 10 yr old Khujo after a battle with kidney disease..Thank you for posting..

17. […] If you want to learn about how to stay in the present moment, just watch your dog! […]

18. […] “Dogs come when they are called; cats take a message and get back to you.” ~ Mary Bly […]

19. […] Animals & Nature. Working with the earth—gardening. Hiking with your dog—nature, no wifi, no cell phone, just you and your (rescue?) dog. Unplug, literally. Leave your […]

20. […] For another poopy sweet ode to dogs, click here. […]

21. […] even if you’re faking it until you really mean it. 8. Work in an office, or live with, a dog. Dogs are shown to dramatically up folks’ happiness, and productivity, both. And […]

22. Karen says:

I watch my sweet girl Angel as a tumor grows on her beautiful face…in the middle of her snout, spreading across her face beneath her eyes…She still has an appetite, still wants to go on walks (though she turns us around to go home before long now). Still seems to experience (and certainly gives) happiness daily, and we share so much love. She doesn't "know" she has cancer—so no evident fear or angst about the process. But I know the time will come when she is visibly suffering. I know it that when it does come, I'll have to make the decision to help her leave this life, but it's unthinkable at the moment…because she's still here with me. Thanks to Roger, and all of the other commenters, for such beautiful heartfelt statements. This is something that all who have ever loved and said goodbye to a beloved pet can understand at such a deep level.

23. foopster says:

As an animal rescuer, I do wish that the first item said "before you ADOPT me," but otherwise, I loved it.

24. Laura says:

I cried a lot whilst reading this, and then the lovely comments had me bawling for ages after I'd finished reading them.
    Am now feeling bad for being frustrated with my dog this morning.
    Warmest wishes to all of the people who have posted touching comments about their furry friends, and to dog lovers everywhere.

25. Neerja says:

look at those eyes

26. Jari says:

My dog of almost 15 years died last night. Reading this was been so healing and helpful as I honor his life. I keep reading it over and over through my tears. My dog very much resembles the dog in this picture. Thank you for sharing these beautiful Commandments.

27. Mikey says:

I have a roommate whose dog is getting very old, and her hips aren’t so good anymore. Sometimes she doesn’t want to get up, sometimes she wants to play until her hip goes out and she has to limp to her bed and rest. He’ll get mad at her for “not listening” to him when he calls her. It’s never more than yelling, but I have to constantly remind him that she is indeed old…she was always a very well-behaved dog, and her not coming to his call every time isn’t due to being disobedient….she’s just hurting.

28. Shardul says:

This broke my heart :(
    I lost my Dennis quite a few years ago and not a day goes by that I don’t think about him.

29. Beth says:

Beautiful Post. So true about politics who wNt a pet and don’t foresee the road ahead and years dedicated to a life that requires love, compassion, and, and proper caretaking. We must understand that adopting is the first option we should consider in a pet and in fairness, ensure we are ready for all aspects of the added family member not just a dog, but a family member. We would not treat ourselves or hopefully our human family the many ways our canine members are treated. If one is not ready or committed, wait and volunteer at a shelter, or even foster. My service dog is a rescue, was on the kill list, pulled just days from euthenization, treated for severe heartworm, trained at a woman’s high maximum prison, andnow is my service dog. I retired last year, a female Army Veteran who served almost 30 years. Despite my physical disabilities, my shelterdog not only serves me but is a joy to my family and all who meets him.