Dear 99 Percenters. ~ Traci Wallace

Via on Oct 24, 2011
99 percent flag
Photo: Long Island Rose

Dear 99 Percenters,

Congratulations on getting so many Americans (and now the world) behind your cause. Just one question: I am still a little unclear of what you really want.

I totally get what you are against (Wall Street, the rich, the excessive bonuses, corruption, and I am pretty sure, Capitalism), and don’t get me wrong, it’s amazing that so many people are behind a cause of any kind, but shouldn’t it be more clear what your overall goal is? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

In my search for answers to this question, I am finding many extremely passionate and profound quotes such as, “Tonight we are coming together in Times Square to show the world that the power of the people is an unstoppable force of global change. Today, we are fighting back against the dictators of our country – the Wall Street banks – and we are winning.”

“Unstoppable force of global change!” Wow, that’s awesome! But again, I ask, what change are we talking about here? Winning what, exactly?

I am all about doing what’s right and fighting for causes that I believe in, which brings me to an interesting fact that has always resonated with me. Mother Teresa never attended an anti-war rally, but she would always lend her support to a peace rally. She realized that putting your energy behind something that you are “for” is far better than rallying behind something you are “against.”

With that being said, can someone please tell me what you are “for,” and maybe I can get behind it too.

Thanks!
 Traci a.k.a an American that is happy to have the freedom/opportunity to choose what I do for a living and the choice to work as hard or as little as I want, which directly corresponds the amount of money I earn – that is, unless you can convince me otherwise.

About Traci Wallace

Traci Wallace is a New York born Californian and former New Delhi resident, who considers herself a 70% businesswoman and 30% gypsy. She is currently part of a amazing team of humans on a mission to cultivate conscious community and Seva via the Yoga Rocks the Park and Friday Night Yoga Club series throughout the U.S. She also likes to surf and write. www.goingwiththeflowblog.com

565 views

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

12 Responses to “Dear 99 Percenters. ~ Traci Wallace”

1. Judith says:

Traci – child care providers and home health aides work very hard (as well as doing some quite dirty work such as changing diapers) yet does the amount of pay these two professions usually make commensurate with the amount of work they do or how hard they work? sincerely, Judith, a childcare provider who chooses do this important and life-affirming work and does it happily and well …. PS: If you are confused as to what the 99ers stand for, please answer me as to what exactly the people on Wall Street contribute to society? I understand what nurses and organic farmers and school teachers and fire fighters contribute, but what exactly do the Wall Streeters contribute? Can you answer that for me? What do they stand for beside excessive (as in cancerous) wealth?

2. Traci says:

Hi Judith – I am all for contributing to society and I actually have chosen a profession that allows me to do so, but that choice also comes with a certain salary that I was aware of when I chose it. Believe me, it’s amazing that so many people have come together and there is so much power that comes from a collective effort. Just don’t waste that power by missing one small minor detail … what is your goal? What kind of real change/solution are you looking for? If I agree with it, I will join the cause for sure!

• Judith says:

Hi Traci,
      I'm not Occupying Wall Street (too busy taking care of a little one) but I'm all for people coming together, creating community and voicing their concerns and dreams. I personally dream of a world where people matter before monetary profits, where everyone's voice is heard in politics and society not just the corporations, where the health of the streams and ecosystems are valued much more than they are right now.
      Can you answer me what is Wall Street and the accumulation and glorification of vast amounts of money are for? Where has that gotten us as a society? Many people know deep in their core that something has GOT to change. And Occupying Wall Street is a start. As I understand it decisions are being made through consensus – there is no hierarchy dictating what the demands are for the movement. It's organic. It's fluid. It is of the people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dtD8RnGaRQ And therefore it is not really easily synopsized or put into a sound bite…. It's messy that it is leaderless. And beautiful too.

3. BeachBum says:

Our politicians are bought and paid for by corporations. We are not represented while corporations and their executives benefit from having our representatives in their pockets. The 99% are FOR corporate accountability and FOR a government that represents their constituents.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

4. BeachBum says:

"If we're going get out of this mess — the U.S., Spain, Greece and all the rest — there are two essential ingredients we'll need: empathy nurtured by a strong civil society, and innovation nurtured by an entrepreneurial spirit. Producing a political system that rewards these essential traits, instead of being at the mercy of lobbyists and big money donors, may require a movement of citizens taking to the streets." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/

• Traci says:

Thank you! Ok, so what next? How do we create this? Do we still want to Capitalist Economic System or something new?

5. Judith says:

You ask what is next Traci. Listen (deeply please) to economist, writer and former Harvard professor David Korten: http://www.yesmagazine.org/new-economy/wall-stree… Here is David Korten's website :http://livingeconomiesforum.org/agenda2

6. Traci says:

Hi Judith, Thanks for sharing this. According to Mr. Korten, the protesters are giving the world a focal point so that everyone can see that the problem starts on Wall Street (o.k.) … and the solution starts with the protesters (yes, I get that). He mentions that we need to take back our country, our government and our economy and we can accomplish this by doing the following:

1.Create a new reality from the ground up.
    2.Create & rebuild strong local economies/communities.
    3.Shift the power back to the people from Wall Street.

Creating strong local economies/communities … yes, this is a good start and something I could get behind … what next? How do we do this?

7. Judith says:

Have you heard about the day to "take back our money" on November 5? Switching our money from big banks to credit unions. That's a start.

I've lived in Portland Oregon which is known to have a strong local economy. There is strong support for local mom and pop businesses rather than box stores, thriving farmers markets, people bartering their skills and goods with each other… Now I live in a typical American suburb of Denver and it feels ver strange to be surrounded by strip malls and the closest farmers market is 20 miles away.

This yearning for creating a new culture didn't start with Occupy. Have you heard about the Transition Towns Movement? http://transitionus.org/ And permaculture? And Joanna Macy? There are lots of people working for a new way of being, of relating, of investing, of structuring our society and world. None of these people made it into the mainstream media though. So all the attention to Occupy is refreshing to the folks who have been working for structural change for quite some time.

I subscribe to YES magazine because it gives me hope that there are others who believe and are working towards alternative positive ways of being and that we can weather what is to come (globally environmentally socially) working together. I read a lot of books published by Chelsea Green. I've been re-skilling for about a decade – learning to grow food, save seed, tend chickens, make cheese, that sort of thing – skills that are as valuable today as they ever were – skills that I can share with and teach to my community, skills that actually contribute to a community. When I look at my seed collection I feel very wealthy. I lived in an ecovillage for a couple years and that was wonderful being surrounded by others who feel like I do. Building community is really important for any change to occur.

• Traci says:

I am very appreciative that you took the time to share this information. This article was written simply to get some ideas for specific solutions, so thank you.

I totally agree about community. Have you seen The Happy Movie? The filmmakers went out to search for the happiest people in the world, and once they found them, find out why they are so happy. Strong community was a reoccurring theme with the happiest people. Also, most of the communities were self-sustaining, the people that lived there understood the concept of “play”, they supported each other and they simply enjoyed life. I am all for that.

I will check out the references you have suggested … and if it makes sense, maybe I will even move my money on November 5th. Thanks again.

8. Traci says:

Hi Bill, Thanks for your comment. This was written because I did dig for answers and I wasn't finding any. I simply wanted to point out that others may be doing the same and the real solution you are looking for was not clear. I know there are great ideas/goals out there as to how we can change our government/country that the protesters are behind, just simply asking a question as to what this new government or system looks like (specific ideas or people you want to lead us) … to this question I still have yet to receive an answer.