Why Do We Hate the Original Dog? ~ Karen Wallo

Via on Oct 22, 2011

Dogs as a species are estimated to be approximately 15,000 to 20,000 years old.

Critics argue that gene substitution speeds up, then slows down—making the estimates rough at best.

The first dogs were just tame wolves. Some researchers believe wolves were first attracted by the garbage produced by early human settlements. Those canines brave enough to approach humans got fed. Eventually, they no longer needed the strong jaws and sharp teeth of their feral counterparts. Their noses got smaller as well.

Dogs’ characteristics can change a lot in just a few generations. After this initial process of “self-domestication,” humans started breeding dogs to help with hunting, herding, standing guard, and carrying loads. Humans also deliberately bred dogs to be more affectionate, which in turn made them great companions.

Here is where I get frustrated with those who are slaughtering wolves and yet have a dog as a pet. They clearly do not realize or care to realize that wolves are just wild dogs. And, dogs are just domesticated wolves!

Dogs are revered, loved, kept in warm homes, and provided with constant food. Of course, there are the exceptions—humans who abuse or neglect their dogs. But generally, dogs are probably the most loved domesticated animals on the planet. Wolves, on the other hand, are thought of as killers ready to eat your children! When, in fact, wolves are afraid of humans and avoid us like the plague.

The grey wolf has been brought to the brink of extinction multiple times in history, and it is all happening again, right now. This year, wolves in America were removed from the protection of the Endangered Species Act. This action was not based on what is best for the animal or the eco system. Instead, it was based on cattle ranchers, trophy hunters and dirty politicians.

A rider was slipped into the must pass budget bill delisting the grey wolves from the ESA permanently, leaving ‘management’ to the states. Sadistic hunting techniques like aerial gunning, poisoning and arrowing are being used on both adult wolves and puppies. The anti-wolf sentiment is so strong in the Northern Rockies that certain individuals are suggesting illegal poaching practices and deliberately shooting a wolf in the gut so that they die a long, slow, torturous death. This is what the Northern Rockies means by ‘management!’ Before long, your children and grandchidren will only see the majestic wolf in a text book if the massacre is allowed to continue.

Photo: Mike Ely

Perhaps wolves are so hated and misunderstood by some because of an inaccurate fairy tale called “Little Red Riding Hood.” That was the beginning of the fear and loathing of the grey wolf. Mix that misconception and insanity with the greed of the cattle ranchers and trophy hunters, and you have a recipe for disaster in the lives of wild wolves.

This loathing and desire to destroy wolves is a worldwide phenomena. Wolf advocates like myself are fighting a war to change the ingrained beliefs that are erroneous. There is even apathy among many animal advocates who work tirelessly to help other species, yet neglect the cry of the wolf.

Although I love dogs tremendously, it is my view that it was arrogant for humans to attempt to domesticate wolves for their own needs in the first place. God created wolves, not dogs. Man created dogs for their own needs and desires. By nature, man is selfish and only a fraction of the population even thinks about how other sentient, living creatures are feeling or being treated.

We are such an unevolved race of beings when you think of what we do to our animals and to one another. Until I take my very last breath, I will dedicate all of my work, my art, my music to saving animals, especially the magnificent and persecuted grey wolf.

I feel a kinship and love of other human beings who have the same admiration and respect of the original dog. God bless you all for every action you ever take to save them from endless suffering and extermination.
__________________________________________________________________________________
 Karen Wallo is a second generation Czech-Slovak and comes from a long line of artists originating in Prague, Czech Republic and Smolenice, Slovakia. As a child growing up in New Jersey, Karen’s imaginative mind lead to creative natural talent. When she was ten years old, she won her first gold medal for a drawing of a dog. Currently Karen lives in Colorado and New York City and is an animal rights advocate, particularly for endangered wildlife like wolves, wild horses and burros. You can check our her website at KarenWallo.com.

About elephant journal

Loved it? Leave a tip!

74 Responses to “Why Do We Hate the Original Dog? ~ Karen Wallo”

1. Padma Kadag says:

I don't hate the wolf. My daughter emailed me from Lhasa last night. She had taken the train from Chengdu to Lhasa and saw packs of wolves along the tracks in Eastern Tibet.

2. Amanda says:

It is so very sad the plight of all animals that cannot protect themselves. "Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" ~ Cree Indian Proverb

Thank you for dedicating yourself to the conservation of these magnificent beings.

3. carol says:

In European history, wolf-attacks on humans caused by outbreaks of Rabies prompted the fear of wolves (and stories of werewolves and fairy tales such as Little Red Riding Hood), which has been carried over generation by generation. Wolves rarely attack humans, and usually only under certain circumstances (extreme hunger, cornered by the human, injured, etc), and do, on occasion, attack small children-not because they are human- but because children MOVE like small prey with their tottery ungracefullness. That being said, a wolf would not under normal circumstances choose our back yard seeking a tasty toddler; they would much rather a mouse, rabbit, or weakened game animal that are also losing their homes due to lack of preservation (let's face it mini-malls are much more important than preserving the natural balance of, well, nature). A bit of interesting reading, if you please, is Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat, sent by the government, investigated the wolf predation of caribou in Alaska in the early 1960s, and found that it was, in fact, human predation decreasing the caribou population

• christine says:

I heartily agree with your comment, Carol. Fact-based and reasonable. Have read Mowatt's book (more than once) and watched the movie (more than once). If only we could open peoples minds to at least consider seeing from another perspective…

4. claudia says:

i love wolves! i've always loved wolves since i was a kid. my friend used to have a dog that was half wolf, who was the smartest and most affectionate dog ever. it's so sad that we are doing these things to them.

5. Jill Barth Jill Barth says:

Thanks very much for this. I've just posted to the elephantjournal green Facebook page.

6. Justin Forte says:

Excellent article Karen! I also want to say that if wolf advocates fight hard enough, we can and will ensure the survival of wolves forever!

7. Rose says:

I know Karen in person, she has been very very motivated in the wolfie causes along with horses and burros. I just wish people would realize they're not the big bad wolf! If you've had a wolf hybrid you'd know how wonderful these dogs are…There doesn't seem to be much in wolf attacks on people… Shame on us… for destroying the original dog… Karen you Rock! Keep up the good work you do!

8. SandraCannon says:

9. Anita Chittenden says:

Thank you Karen for this! It is so very true…I will never understand the mindset of some people that do not or try not to understand the Wolf…the beauty they bring us into an already sometimes ugly world we all live in! They too just want to survive!
    Thank you again for a wonderfully written story!

10. Barbara Ginsberg says:

Great article Karen!! I too will never understand the wolf haters that "seem" to "love" their dogs. Or profess to. I will fight along with you for the safety of our wolves till my last brath!! AROoooOOOooo

11. Kathleen Wallo says:

Very informative Karen. Enjoyed reading this article Sis. Up until now, I was one who also thought of the "Big Bad Wolf".
    Now you've changed my mind completely. I'm proud of your work. Keep it up my little Sister!

12. Marc Chicoine says:

Awesome! This makes you a writer. Add another feather to your cap!

13. Brad says:

Never Cry Wolf is a Fraud this is Fiction not a true story. This IS a fairy tale not a true life story. My God the author who wrote this book was living in CA. at the time. Dr. L. David Mech who the story is suppose to be about said- The only part the author got right was there are wolves in Alaska everything else is pure fiction. The Gallatin Canyon elk herd trend count between Bozeman and Big Sky has dropped from around 1,048 to 338 in 2008.
    (Source: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks)
    This why people want the wolves controlled they are wiping out the elk herds.

• Barbara Ginsberg says:

If the elk #s truly dropped so drastically it is due to a disease. It is certainly not due to wolves. Wolves help to ensure healthy herds by weeding out the sick & decrepit. They help to ensure a healthy ecosystem by keeping the populations from exploding. This is science, something MFWP may not be concerned with.

• jack says:

Hey Brad, why are you so worried about the number of elk, so can have an easier time KILLING them? If the elk population is declining it is your fault. You inbreds who call yourselves "hunters" want to keep shooting the largest, strongest and healthiest elk. This is causing long term problems for the species by diminishing the quality of their genetic pool. You want an overpopulation of genetically inferior elk just so incompetent tiny-brained feeble-minded hillbillies like yourself can have animals that are easy to shoot without putting much effort into hunting them. We should just stop giving hunting permits to inept "hunters" like you. We would be better off with more wolves and less of you people. You are just going to have to get used to it being slightly more difficult to hunt elk, whether you like or not. The elk population will be slightly smaller but healthier. Wolves kill many of the sick and weak animals. We need more wolves and less inbred hunters.

• birdpond says:

Brad, much of what was reported in Farley's book is being proven accurate – keystone predators like wolves are CRUCIAL to driving health and biological diversity in ecosystems. Wolves are being used as scape-goats because the economy is bad, people are mad at 'the government' (or just mad at life and their bad luck) – hunters want to turn the 'wilderness' into a giant game-farm and ranchers want to graze domestic animals on wild and government lands with impunity. Nature does NOT work according to human laws – HUMANS are causing virtually every imbalance in nature and one of the greatest MASS EXTINCTIONS in the planet's history (rivaling the dinosaurs). No Brad, WE must learn to live within the laws of Nature.

• Tony says:

I suppose you also believe that Jim and Jamie Dutcher did not live with the Sawtooth Pack? Humans have causes the inbalance in Nature, not wolves!

• George says:

Brad,
      Please tell Bruce Hemming hello. Oh wait, you can't do that.

• George says:

Brad, aka Bruce Hemming. You are pure evil along with Toby Bridges. Your fake facebook profile iss being reported.

• Brad says:

George LOL what ever you people are insane-I keep telling everyone that pro wolf is tiny fringe group and here is the proof. They need to get 5000 signatures on this petition. Now this is secured site, no FAKE ACCOUNTS, no overseas accounts, only US. Citizens. I check it last nite they had 3041 that was it LMAO. The petition you are trying to access has expired, because it failed to meet the signature threshold.

This petition ran from Sep 27th 2011, to Oct 27th 2011. This plastered all over all the wolf pages trying to get enough people to sign it.

LMAO just a tiny fringe cult. Too bad you losers hate science so much. The truth is out wolves are the worst ecological disaster to wildlife in the last 100 years. Maybe one day you inbred narrow minded bigots will figure that out.

• Andy says:

Wherever you go, anyone can tell it's you ya nutcase. Bruce Hemming is a psychopath. Let everyone know how much of a hypocrite you truly are. You made a petition against those that support wildlife, not kill it like you and you only got under 100 signatures and your goal was to get 1000 and you fell far short and you scrapped the petition, but you have the nerve to claim the wildlife supporters didn't get enough signatures on theirt whitehouse petition. The only tiny fringe cult is psychopaths like you that want to wildlife….You're truly a sick and disturbed individual that should get professional help….

• Barbara Lopez says:

Bruce Hemming has threatened numerous women online because they love wildlife. His name was sent to the fbi cybercrimes for threatening women. Ladies, bevery careful of this man and if he threatens you, contact the fbi immediately. There is something wrong with this individual.

• Michele says:

The elk in Gallatin County are being killed in the thousands by HUNTERS, not wolves. I live here and deal in FACTS…not fiction. The "gangs" of elk (not called herds) are only in danger of hunters and they hate that we know the truth. They have to continue to spew out lies and misinformation because the serial killers (hunters) need to profit off of their deaths or they will lose their business. It's all about money and dirty polititians. The two go hand in hand.

14. Nancy says:

Brad, really Bruce?
    Wonderful article Karen!

• Brad says:

Nancy really, Karen?
      Wonderfully propaganda piece for the emtoional intoxicated tiny fringe group that worship wolves LOL

• Andy says:

You poor lonely soul bruce hemming. You don't have a job do ya ya bum? is that why you spend ALL DAY LONG on the internet making comments about wolves? Yeah, you know you're a loser with no job and your hate for wolves just because they need to eat to survive is borderling psychotic. You're a wildlife terrorist.

ps get a job Bruce Hemming instead of making fake fb accounts up Brad Henderson o I mean Bruce Hemming

• George says:

Andy, you are so correct. The only thing incorrect is about this inbred having a soul. Evil has no soul. What an empty shell and a lonely existence this fool has. You almost have to feel sorry for it.

15. Billy says:

Karen, this is fabulous!!!
    And it speaks the truth too!!!
    Wolves are not not only beautiful,
    majestic, and very sacred to our Native
    American sisters and brothers,
    they are beneficial to our planet's ecosystem,
    and have been so long before man existed.
    Without these precious and noble pooches,
    our Earth would be more like a desert wasteland.
    The ignorant naysayers and detractors care more
    about their own egos (which means Edging God Out),
    than what our glorious Great Spirit created for us
    to behold with awe and wonder..
    Wolves are also very spiritual.
    When they howl in the night,
    they're actually singing to our Creator.
    Truly awe-inspiring, and YES, just like our dogs we know today,
    they are also very affectionate.
    Back about 4-5 years ago, I met one gentleman who had
    a big pooch with him and I asked what kind of dog it is. and he
    said it was a Timber Wolf.
    Truly a beautiful animal and so I petted it,
    scratched its back and rubbed its belly,
    and that lovable pooch was just "eating it up",
    enjoying every minute of getting a good scratch
    and belly rub.
    I haven't seen the fellow and his wolf in quite awhile…
    But the experience of getting up close and personal
    with a noble and sacred creature is truly awe-inspiring. :)))

16. Js Angela says:

I love wolves and I am so happy when I meet people who love them as me and who can express so well all the truth. The old myths are so wrong and unjust.. great article that should be spread!

17. CherokeeCharlie says:

It was arrogant? I love dogs and wolves..but to say it was Arrogant for Humans to raise and or breed dogs.. these first humans didnt even have much of a vocabulary.. I stand up for all life on this planet and like it or not we Humans are just as much a part of nature as that wolf is. We Too were created by the same GOd you speak of whoever that may be. The relationship with man has made the Dog the indisputable king of the animal kingdom on this planet that has 4 legs. The relationship was mutual.."God created Wolves- not dogs".. like these early humans were running a genetics laboratory. Evolution is what it is.. maybe someone arrogantly bred elephants from Mammoths.. As a native American I do not view myself any differently than the wolf.. and I certainly am not filled with so much self loathing of my species to declare it ARROGANT.

• Karen W. says:

I do not loath humans, Cherokee Charlie. You are taking one point from a long article and twisting it. As a Native American it is sad that your focus wasn't more on the positive things I said about the magnificent wolf. If you really read the whole article you would know that I love dogs. I just lost 2 of my beloved dogs and it was excrutiating. I was making a point, and you are the only person who didn't get it.

• Karen W. says:

I just made a big mistake! I accidentally clicked "like" or a thumbs up, thinking this was a comment I liked..I meant to click 'dislike!" Just letting everyone know that it was I who clicked like, not someone else. I do NOT like this comment at all..All of the rest, however, are wonderful!

• Karen B. Wood says:

We ARE different from wolves, we are humans! Might as well admit it. Don't get me wrong, I love wolves with all my being. We have them. I respect them intensely. And love them for what they are.

18. Tom says:

Karen,
    Sandra said it right! "This is a wonderful representation. Very informative and educational. Thank you for being an advocate and educator!" Keep up the good work!

19. Karen W. says:

Deepest thanks to all the people who were touched by my article and wrote a comment. Nothing makes me smile more then knowing that I am helping to educate the public on the truth about our wolves!

20. Karen–keep up the good work! miss u in Vegas…artpeace! Audrey

21. Brad says:

If you have nothing else to do with your life join the wolf cult they are always looking for new suckers to send more money to them LOL

22. paula says:

Brad is Bruce Hemming. Do a search on this wackjob and you will find out he's a rabid wolf hater obsessed with nazis. Here are some of the nutcase past comments to those who are pro-wildlife…

Talk about lies and extreme anti-wolf propaganda. No one wants to see a film that is so EXTREMELY BIASED that it is ludicrous. No one wants to hear about all your “documented” wolf attacks that happened centuries ago. Anyone who does not know Bruce Hemming, do some research. He loves to spread extremely biased “facts”. He is an anti wolf lunatic who is obsessed with Nazis.

“Who wants a wildland project here in American the NAZI WOLF LOVING LUNATICS.”

“the Nazi are still here in America supporting the wolves.”

“That the Nazi wanted a wildland project no differences between the NAZI’S then and you wolf loving lunatics here in America”

“Just like the NAZI that study was buried and the public not allow to see it. Kind of sounds like NAZI propaganda doesn’t it. Or should we talk about the NAZI way the anti American wolf lover so called expert that flew up 6 weeks after Kenton Carnegie was killed and said he saw a bear track in a picture. That sound like NAZI propaganda but then truth on the wolf issue is precious and hard to find I wonder why. Oh that right the NAZI propaganda hiding all the wolf attacks on people.”

” Wolves never balance nature that is propaganda ploy to convince people to accept Nazi thinking. ”

“Nope you far left wing extremist can’t handle the truth that you are in the NAZI wolf cult it is documented fact and you hate the truth.”

“NAZI THAT SUPPORT WOLVES IS A FACT LIVE IN DENIAL ALL YOU WANT YOU ARE FOLLOWING NAZI WOLF PROPAGANDA”

“So all the wolf lovers are supporting the whole Nazi thinking here in America.”

“Hitler called all hunters poachers. Wolf lovers call all hunters poachers wonder where they got that connection LMAO”

“All wolf lovers are anti American Eco Nazi’s Hitler played the same game on the German people about saving the wildlife and worshipping the wolves.”

23. Karen W. says:

Thank you everyone for all the kind and insightful comments. PLEASE do not engage that anti wolf Brad aka Bruce. He is green with envy that I had this article published and sick with fear that more people will find out about the horrific and unfounded slaughter of our wolves. Do not give him any ammunition. This is an article I worked hard on and thank God it has been spread far and wide educating many people about the truth on our wolves. Do not let him continue to litter this page with his propaganda and vicious words. I will see if I can get Elephant Journal to block him. We all know why the White House petition did not meet 5000 signatures. It is simply because it was nearly impossible to sign for many weeks. It took me 5 times to get it right. There was a glitch in the petition that many of us called and wrote about. In any case, we do not need to prove anything to BH.

24. Dawn Duvo says:

Great article Karen I can't wait to read more of your work.You are a awsome person together we will save the wolves from the Hunters who kill them so they can have more Elk to kill and say that wolves have no right to eat In their twisted thoughts all living things have a right to eat

25. Mario says:

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT FACTUAL PIECE KAREN… May the wolf always run wild and run free !!!!!!!!!!

26. Billy says:

Pay no mind to Brad (aka Bruce Hemming),
    faithful and beloved howlers.
    He will never amount to a hill-of-beans,
    and is nothing more than a mere ghostly shadow
    from a long-forgotten era that should be left
    buried back in the primitive 19th Century.
    We are a sovereign Wolf Nation,
    a tribe of many like-minds from all parts of Mother Earth who support our noble cause to save and protect our precious wolves,
    and we are gonna do all what it
    takes to protect what we, and our Native American/First Nations brothers and sisters, revere as very sacred, and NOT fall in line, walk lock-step, nor conform to the barbaric ways of the Old West.
    We are from the future, on a noble mission
    to shake up the status quo of the past,
    by doing Great Spirit’s will and protect
    His majestic creations He made for us
    and future generations to behold with
    awe and wonder..
    Karen, don’t let fear get the best of you, hon. As FDR once said,
    “The only thing to fear, is fear itself”.
    The I.Q.s of the ignorant and twisted naysayers and detractors are lower than Absolute Zero on the Kelvin Scale.
    ~May Our Glorious Grand Father, The Great Spirit, Protect You, Our Sisters And Brothers, And His Majestic Creations From All Evil~

27. Billy says:

And Karen, you are doing an excellent job!

You are truly a natural in everything you do, with a talent and a gift, blessed by our glorious Creator.<3

Keep up the great work.

I know the our noble mission to save and protect our majestic wolves from extinction is a difficult one..

But with the help of our glorious Almighty,

we will and shall prevail, 'cause we have faith in the One who created Heaven and Earth.

The naysayers and detractors are only

wasting too much of their time,

trying to make us conform to

their twisted ways.

But we are much smarter than they are,

'cause we have evolved and advanced

(possibly into the next century). ;)

The detractors are from the past..

We come from the future,

and as non-conformists, we love to shake

up the status quo. ;)))))

It helps to keep life from getting

dull and boring….Hehehe ;))))

ArooOOOOOoooOoOOOOoooooo!!!

28. Linda Camac says:

Yo Brad …errr Bruce……the Anti-Wolf "movement' is the REAL CULT, as YOU GUYS ARE ON THE FRINGE, not us! Most people in the world LOVE WOLVES – you are just getting away with the "for now" legal hunting because of some slimey politicians who wanted to keep the Democratic majority. Great article Karen! Keep up the good fight!

• Karen W. says:

Thanks Linda..I appreciate all that you do as well for our iconic wolves. :))

• Pete B. says:

Yeah, you tell him, Linda! What insulted me most was some comment he made a while back saying that here in my home state of Michigan, they have gay wolves. I say, "Oh, really? The only way we can tell in Michigan if someone's gay is if they've got their hair cut like… his."

29. Phyllis McRae says:

Your article is great! Congrats on it being published! as to the anti-wolfers…they are too stupid to realize they are controlled by big money and will be dropped as soon as they are not needed! I am glad I do not feel the need to kiss some big money ass so they can pat me on the head and say good boy! Brad/Bruce is a good example of the rabid lunatics willing to be led by greed.

30. Mohibul I. says:

Gr8 & |_ovely …..|-|ave a //ice |)ay……….:) ~❤~(◠‿◠)˙·٠•●♥❤.♥.♥♫❤˚♫•♫♥♪ ♥♪ ♥ ♥♥…<~')!('~>…..

31. Karen W. says:

Thanks Priscilla! Thank you for all that you do as well dear friend!!

32. Nancy says:

Priscilla, Brad Henderson is really Bruce Hemming.

33. Karen W. says:

Wow..thank you, Daniel..What a lovely comment!!