Why healing, personal development and spirituality are really the same thing.

Via on Oct 20, 2011
Kiwan and Jai, two Masters of Simplicity

Sometimes, life seems so damn complicated, doesn’t it?! I have an intimate relationship with my wife to maintain and nourish; my child to educate, support, and nurture; my work to soak up my passion and creativity… and all the while the whole world seems to be trying to sell me something.

But lately, more and more, I’m feeling like everything is actually incredibly simple. Because the root of all these various and complex problems is the same – me!

When I get myself in order, everything else falls into place. Life becomes, once again, very joyful.

I used to think that I had to do lots of different things in order to get myself into that joyful space: Yoga; meditation; eat just right; get a balance between work and play; personal development work so that my relationships would work (as long as my partner also did personal development work!)… God, when I look back at what I was doing I cringe.

Now I realize that there is only one thing I need to do, and all the labels I used to apply really boil down, in essence, to this one thing:

Healing is this one thing.

Personal development is the same as this one thing.

Spiritual growth comes about as a result of this one thing.

Healing.

I’m not talking about the word ‘healing’ as it’s come to be used so much – as a kind of band-aid. This healer and that healer who do this and that, and eventually, after a while, you realize that actually, nothing has been healed!

I’m talking about profound, permanent transformation.

The reason why healing, personal development, and spirituality are the same thing: because we are already perfect.

There is nothing to do, to achieve, to get. It’s all there already, right there, inside you.

All we have to do, is let go of what’s blocking it form coming out!

When Buddha said: “Be a light unto thyself”, I’m pretty sure that’s what he meant: ‘just look at yourself, you’re perfect!’

When Jesus said “All these things, and greater, you shall do too”, he was saying that he was nothing special – just an ordinary human being like you and I, who had realized his perfection, and through it, was able to achieve miracles. And that we all can do that too!

We’re all so beautiful, amazing, and perfect. But we don’t love ourselves enough. And that’s the crux of the matter. We simply have to let go of the blockages that stop us from loving ourselves.

That’s healing (and it’s really very simple).

It’s also personal development and spiritual growth.

Spread the love. Share, using the buttons below. And comments are always welcome!

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston almost joined the army when he was 18. When he was 32 he almost became a Swami. *** Now he is a healer, Reference Point Therapy teacher, and advanced Yoga instructor in the Sivananda tradition . His work as a healer acknowledges trauma as the underlying cause of almost all human problems, and resolves trauma at the causal level: gut-based survival instincts. The intention behind all his work is to empower others. *** Ben splits his time between his busy international practice, training therapists, and writing. As an experienced Yoga and Meditation teacher he also runs retreats, usually on the beautiful Croatian coast. *** Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his blog Grounded Spirituality.

26 Responses to “Why healing, personal development and spirituality are really the same thing.”

1. Claudia Azula Altucher Claudia says:

Yeah, so true. Can very much identify. Great read!

2. Laura says:

Ah, Ben, you did it again. :) {heart}

3. nikki says:

Love the simplicity of this article, thank you! (sometimes the articles on Elephant are so head-y, i can't take the time at work to read the whole thing..and I always think i'll come back to read the whole thing – but of course…never do.) I reposted to our FB site – http://www.facebook.com/daily.glad.is
    thank you!

4. Beautiful Ben! Simple & beautiful as usual…let go of everything that hinders love. That really is the only issue when you get down to the bottom of it!

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Yes. We ARE love. Let go of all that we're not (just subconscious blockages related to survival instincts actually) and we become more loving, more lovable, more lovely :)

5. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Love this so so much. Thank you Ben.

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

6. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Love. And, love the photo! Adorable.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

7. beansandsuds says:

Love this, Ben! So simple. So spot-on. And so easy for us all to forget.
    Thank you for the reminder.

8. Tom Rapsas trapsas1 says:

An excellent reminder that happiness in life is so often connected with a simple approach to life. I think that by shedding the "coats" we layer on over the years–the ones that include past disappointments and unfulfilled expectations–we get to our real, true selves–a place from which we can find love and spread it to those around us. Thanks, Ben. ~Tom Rapsas

9. Thanks, Ben. I always love reading your posts. Peace.

10. [...] We value personal growth and the many opportunities that the work environment provides for learning about ourselves, our [...]

11. Nadine McNeil Nadine says:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Ben. More Love, Nadine!

12. Joe Sparks says:

Everyone around us is waiting , starved to hear this from you:" I love you. Let's you and I do things right."

Thanks Ben.

13. catnipkiss says:

Glad this was re-posted. So simple, so true, so hard to find and keep a hold on….. – Alexa M.

14. Becky says:

I thought I 'got' this article after reading it the first time, but didn't deep-down-gut-level-get it. After more journey work, (what else to call it), I get it now. And it's a beautiful concept to reflect on, embrace and accept.