Why Men go to their First Yoga Class.

Via on Oct 14, 2011

What men fantasize their first yoga class is like ;)   It may not be yoga, but it is fantasy. Real yoga? Sweaty, hard, boring, intimidating, worth it.

From the Department of Funny/True. They come for the sex, they get their butt kicked…and they stay for the life-changing flow.

Before:

Yes, this is Aerobics…I guess…but you get the idea:

YouTube Preview Image

After:

Anyone know of a youtube video that shows just how hard, generally unsexy and ass-kicking one’s first yoga class actually is?

About Waylon Lewis

26 Responses to “Why Men go to their First Yoga Class.”

1. No thanks says:

Really? Did you really just post this?

2. elephantjournal says:

David A: Sounds about right. That's the core motivation for most men to do anything. ;)

3. Joe3 says:

Works for me…and there is a Yoga center right down the street 2 blocks, I'll drive there tomorrow……….

4. HermitFrog says:

Was this just a lame excuse to show this video again???

• elephantjournal says:

Unlike you, it seems…I'd never seen it before—it was linked in the reddit convo about the above photo.

• HermitFrog says:

I first saw it on here linked to an article about the perfect day…only recently, so my initial reaction was 'oh not again!!' ;-)

5. I generally like the Elephant but stuff like this disappoints – casting a shallow spin on something deeply spiritual and sacred. With yoga being so popular these days do you really need sex to sell?

• Yogini5 says:

In its day, aerobics had saved my sanity. The men came to aerobics to get their bedoinkadoink kicked … in those days, there were a few muscleheads who knew they needed cardio … most yoga doesn't even give you THAT …

6. Steph says:

I thought the pic and the caption were hysterical (… though the video's a bit o.t.t. and spoils the joke a bit)

7. Scott_Newsom says:

Congratulations Waylon, you are now demeaning yoga, men and women in the name post. Maybe nigger jokes will be next. I'm old enough to remember those. Racist assholes kept justifying them by saying its only humor too. Guess that works for sexist assholes too.

8. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Provocative! :-) :-) :-) I need to do more yoga. Ha!

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

9. catnipkiss says:

Actually, I can see why men might attend a yoga class because its full of women…. and maybe decide they get actual benefit from the practice. (and if the poor guy attends a Bikram class first, it will kick his butt AND also be about half men in the class :) – Alexa M.

• elephantjournal says:

That's exactly the point, Alexa! Only we elephants in our own choir would find it surprising that many men (and women, perhaps) start yoga for less than holy reasons. But that's fine, I say…if, as I said above, they fast discover their breath, their body, the flow of feeling healthy and awake and alive, and realize that post-yoga is a better feeling than lying on one's back drinking beer and ogling "chicks." ~ Waylon

• Yes! And I think the key word in the title is "first." Come for the boobs, stay for the Bikram! (Or should it be come for the a$$, stay for the Ashtanga?)

10. Marylou says:

The person who posted this has to be an idiot. Just saying.

11. Mary Michaela says:

There was a craigslist ad to sell a yoga mat which was hysterical – out of Seattle – I don't think I copied it or I'd send it to you. It sums up the male yoga first class experience… rather well, hysterically funny…. see if you can track it down.

12. __MikeG__ says:

I started yoga because my back hurt from lifting weights.

13. Jean LeBlanc says:

As a man interested in yoga, I do find this disappointing. I came to yoga because I am actually curious about the philosophical and spiritual aspects of it, the effete intellectual snob I am, and I am not alone in that.
    jbl

14. Zoey says:

OMG all of you! Re.LAX. Seriously. I'm 'serious' about yoga – but that video is a classic! And this blog would be nothing without all good SEO. Rock on Waylon. That video is as hilarious as it is…well…..a turn on.

15. catnipkiss says:

When I was a dancer (read: stripper)in New York in the 80s, I found this to be true, too. Two types of men would deign to talk to a dancer – those who wanted to rescue me ("what's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?") and the ones who were there strictly to abuse you, because only CERTAIN types of women do this job, after all!

And I agree, Kate, that sex motivates us for many things – we are human, it is a desire. Stronger in some than others! but still, part of being human. Not only is there exploitation of women in the media, but we also learn to exploit ourselves. Is it wrong? who knows! But it happens. – Alexa M.