Why Yoga’s Not a Workout. ~ Rachel Meyer {NSFW}

Via on Oct 31, 2011

RANT: Yoga is not a workout.

Yoga is not “abs.”

Yoga is not mindless push-ups.

Yoga is not “cardio.”

Fuck that shit.

Yoga is a moving meditation. Period. Amen.

Yoga means unraveling. Yoga means letting go. Yoga means undoing. Yoga means getting out of your goddamned chattering head for even a few seconds and letting your mind take a break. Yoga means stopping giving a shit what the lady in front of you is wearing or what the dude behind you thinks of your ass or what your colleague said on the phone over lunch that really rankled you, because you are so lost in your breath and your body and your present moment that all of those thoughts fly out the window, and you are reminded that you are alive.

This body will be a corpse.

You will not find 72,000 stomach crunches in my class. You can do crunches at the gym. Crunches do not equal vinyasa. For reals.

I love teaching, love it so much, but I’ve always had a hard time instructing core work that feels mindful. Forcing folks to huff and puff through endless rounds of ab exercises always makes me feel dirty, like a two-bit Jane Fonda pushing people through awkward 1980s exercise video routines that they don’t want to do in the first place and passing them off as a meditation, as yoga, as something graceful and elegant and wise.

Standing up there barking out instructions, I’m rushed back to memories of bad legwarmers and a made-up, perfectly-coiffed Jane urging us on through perpetual core work in deja vu Groundhog Day-style nightmares of the old video I used to do in high school, day after day, barefoot — because the sneakers were too heavy to lift, you know — as an anorexic 16-year-old with wobbly Bambi legs who was convinced that her 98-pound, 5’5″ body was obese.

And it makes me wonder: who else in that room hasn’t eaten in two days?

And, as a teacher, am I shepherding those students well, am I really doing my job — ahimsa, baby — if I pummel them with some robotic core workout routine that’s devoid of purpose beyond sculpting a six-pack, that fails to connect the breath or slow their minds or bring them more deeply into their bodies?

Because, guess what? Your six-pack will pass. One day it’ll be there. The next day, it won’t. Things change. Bodies change. You’ll eat Cheetos. You’ll find a new lover and stay in bed and skip yoga. You’ll have a baby. You’ll get old — if you’re lucky.

Skin stretches. Skin roughens. Skin slips away.

This body will be a corpse.

Your breath stays. Your breath rises. It falls. That’s yoga. Nothing else.

I — like so many I know — spent too many years starving myself, too many years driving my weak, underfed body into the ground, too many years being that empty vessel with the big dead eyes and chiseled chin and delicate size 2 frame, trading my life, my spirit, my fire, my prana, my very being for that “perfect body” — that “perfect body” that just wanted to die, that wanted to throw in the towel, that wanted to quit the fuck-all project of being alive and just disappear.

And in that perfect body, I did a lot of sit-ups. A lot of them.

50 crunches at 5 a.m. before going out the door; 50 crunches before and after dance practice; 50 crunches before and after musical rehearsal; 50 crunches at 2 a.m. before going to bed. Toes tucked under the armoire to keep myself from cheating. Living on an apple and 2 cups of coffee all day. Functioning on 3 hours of sleep because the hunger kept me from actually ever sleeping.

You can’t sleep when you’re starving. Though it gives you more time to work on your abs.

I don’t live that way any more.

And I do not believe that yoga would have us live that way, either.

And as a teacher, I will not facilitate that faux “yoga.”

I can guesstimate how very many — half, two-thirds? — of the other bodies in the yoga classes I take, and teach, have been in that same place at some point in their lives. Have starved themselves for days, living on water and Diet Coke; have feared that they’d pass out in Tree Pose because they hadn’t eaten a meal in a week; have wound up lying on the bathroom linoleum, faint, heart thudding, wondering how long it’d take for someone to find them if they died there. And they’re in class for the abs, for the workout, for the cardio, for the bullshit. I know, because I’ve been that person.

And I won’t be a part of it. Even though, more and more, that’s where I see the “yoga industry” going.

90 minutes of abs do not a yoga practice make. 90 minutes of watching the breath rise and fall, maybe with a twist or a balance or an arm to the sky to help us do so, does. And if we are lucky enough to live until we’re old and decrepit (65-75% of us willbedisabled at some point in our lives, you know this, yes?), someday we’ll look down at our sweet, tired, wrinkly, bent, well-lived-in bodies, and we likely won’t be able to do a forearm plank and we most certainly won’t be able to do 3 backbends in a row and we definitely won’t be able to do 200 sets of crunches.

But we’ll be able to breathe. We’ll be able to watch the chest rise with the inhale, and fall with the exhale. And therein will lie the practice that has followed us, anchored us, strengthened us, softened us, all these years.

So you can take your crunches and shove ‘em. You won’t find them in my class. I’m not here to give you the “perfect body” or the “ultimate core workout” or even a general ass-kicking. I’m here to get you out of your head. To slow down that monkey mind for even one breath, or two, or — imagine that! — maybe even three. To help you remember that in spite of all numbness, you are alive. For a flash, just this tinylittleflash, you are alive.

This body will be a corpse.

Knowing that — we practice this little death every day in Savasana, don’t we? — why the hell would you waste your few precious breaths in this onewildandpreciouslife on getting really sweet ab muscles? Fuck the abs. Yep, I’ll say it again, once more for good measure: fuck the abs.

They won’t make you happy. I promise. You’ll just have a nice belly. And the same old racing mind, and the same old unsettled, hungry heart.

Yoga is so much more than body-sculpting. Don’t let this ancient, beautiful, soft, strong, serene practice turn into yet one more fancy gym exercise. Be in it. Let your heart stop its racing. Let your mind slow for even a second.

The abs will come. And go. (Trust me, they’ll go.) And what’s left?

The breath. That one wild and precious life. Yours.

With great thanks to TheInterdependenceProject for

their inspired, subversive t-shirt design.

Rachel Meyer is a San Francisco-based yoga teacher and writer with roots in musical theater, theology and the arts. When she’s not jumping around in leggings and chanting in Sanskrit, she loves a good foggy wander up and over Nob Hill in search of cocktails or used books.  You can find her bio and teaching schedule here, and further ramblings on yoga, the arts and more at her literary practice mat here.

About elephant journal

138 Responses to “Why Yoga’s Not a Workout. ~ Rachel Meyer {NSFW}”

1. Amanda says:

Preach it sister! Love this, love you.

2. Jeri Senor says:

Not sure your yoga is working for you… lots of anger, excessive judgment, negativity bein' preached here. Perhaps a dose of Thich Nhat Hanh would do a person good.

• Sunita Pillay says:

I don't get any anger from Rachel at all. I get frustration with the status quo, mainstream, Jennifer Aniston-style, gym class yoga that is prevalent in western culture today. It's an important counter message…now get back to your crunches! LOL

• Rachel says:

@Sunita — exactly! It's a trying to honor the roots of the tradition, which are so much more about meditation and so much less about gymnastics. Thank you for "getting it." I'm grateful.

• Rachel says:

Ohh, I do love me some Thich Nhat Hanh. And I hear you; I can see how if you don't know me as the reasonable and mindful person I generally aim to be, ;) this might come off as angry. But I believe the yoga industry's really being commodified in a way which is not true to the tradition, and the point of my hyperbole (yes, hyperbole, because I do dig a nice sweaty workout myself, don't get me wrong) is to point that out. Audre Lorde, one of my literary icons, fearless and smart and real, wrote: "Your silence will not protect you." I love her for that, and sometimes I think in spite of our desire to find the middle way, we've gotta speak with the kind of passion that stirs up game-changing conversation. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

• I don't get any anger either. More of a wake-up call for those who are trapped in harmful thinking about what their bodies need.

• Brian says:

No higher ground is attained by judging someone who is judging others; it just suspends you into the cycle of judgement.

3. Amanda says:

Printing, re-posting, recommending, liking, doing all I can do with this. I love everything about the article, even the anger and grown-up language. This is a real f'ing problem, and I'm grateful that you're talking about it! You're an inspiration. Thanks for shining your light and dropping the f-bomb along the way! ;-)

• Rachel says:

Thank you, my friend. Thank you so much. Sometimes it feels quite vulnerable to say these things out loud, and this was one of those pieces that I almost didn't publish. It felt too raw. But the feedback has shown me that I am so not alone in feeling this way, in wanting to make sure that this beautiful ancient practice doesn't get lost in superficiality and gymnastics. I appreciate your support. Even for the f-bombs. ;-)

4. Leesh says:

After giving birth to three beautiful boys, two of them twins, I see ab work as a way to strengthen my core muscles to bring stability and strength to my body, something that I need when carrying two 20kg toddlers (pounds?) around each day! I see your point, but remember that strengthening abdominals is not all about appearance!

• Rachel says:

Absolutely, Leesh (ooh, bad pun not intended). I hear you. And a strong core is one of my favorite benefits of a yoga practice. It's empowering, right? But yes, my point is that the beauty, the heart of the practice is so much in the meditation. Not that we need to ignore the physical aspects and live outside of our bodies, but rather that we need to come back to the roots of what yoga's really about, which is finding a still mind. Maybe you can find that still mind by way of lots of abs, but however we get there, we need to teach what's most life-giving in the process. And yes, strong abs are about a powerful core, not about superficiality! Thank you for reading. Go mama!

• Jess says:

I feel like if you are connected to your body, you can exercise your abs just by breathing effectively and moving from your center, your 3rd chakra which is the seat of willpower and determination. Having also had 3 births, I resent being made to do ab exercises in yoga. I think the point is that you can do them….but it's not what yoga is about as far as being a workout.

5. Sounds like you've had some bad experiences with exercise and body image.
    You need a body to breathe. So I don't know if it really makes sense to write about the importance of the breath and knowing you're alive while denigrating the body.

• Rachel says:

Thank you for your feedback. I guess I don't really see how I'm denigrating the body here. I think, rather, I'm suggesting that we be more open to the body as a source of meditation and accept it as it is, rather than using a yoga practice as yet one more means of sculpting a particular figure. My point really is that yoga is so much more than gymnastics; that, if you study the Sutras, asana is this very little part, and in our pop culture version of "yoga," that emphasis has been wrongly shifted toward the workout and away from the meditation itself.

• Amanda F says:

????? Did you read the same article?

I'm going to stop reading responses to articles because the negativity and judgement in them totally throws me. Enjoy the article for what it's saying instead of looking for ways to nitpick on the author.

6. Vision_Quest2 says:

Dear Self-Mortifying Mind-Body Practices—

This is mostly directed to one or two yoga studios I've already been to, but ANY profit-making mind-body school could be the culprit. I would sooner Occupy the gentrified "Main Street" outside the home of your "Loving Yoga Community" with a picket sign that I am one of the 99% (or actually the 92% of frequent yoga practitioners in the U.S. who, for varying reasons, do NOT attend a studio frequently).

Your walk-in prices in the current economic climate point up to the fact that in light of the possibility of being the solution to the problem – or being part of the problem, you know which side you have been on all along …. see this link: There is an Elephant in the Room and it ain't Ganesh http://themagazineofyoga.com/blog/2011/10/26/ther
    e-is-an-elephant-in-the-room-and-it-ai
    n%E2%80%99t-ganesh/

Moreover, the way you teach yoga to the classes I could attend on weekends only: suffice to say, the '80s called, and they want their aerobics back.

I refuse to be associated any more with the embarrassing greater metro New York City commercial "yoga scene" … like babies, you like to make scenes.

Now, STOP IT.

Signed,

Tina

• Rachel says:

Thank, Tina! Love it. It's really this burgeoning "scene," this industry, that's the culprit, isn't it? I appreciate your understanding of the ways in which commodification threatens the experience of yoga-for-all. We need more folks like you with an eye for the practice itself, and less for the products surrounding it. Cheers, friend.

7. [...] News excerpt from: Why Yoga's Not a Workout. ~ Rachel Meyer | elephant journal [...]

8. Mary Boyd says:

I find this article negative and judgmental. If you don’t want to teach or practice abs, don’t. But why get so bent out of shape if someone is? Just because you are strengthening your ab muscles doesn’t mean you are some sort of idiot asshole that doesn’t understand what yoga is about. In your condescension you say more about you than those who you proclaim to be ignorant. Look in yourself and ask why you feel the need to preach to and judge others? Mind your own business I say.

• Sunita Pillay says:

What?! "Mind your own business"? Elephant is an open-minded, public forum, where everyone, including you, is able to speak openly and honestly. This is one person's opinion, and if it makes you uncomfortable and defensive, that doesn't mean the author should retract her opinion, shut up, and go sit in a corner.

• Rachel says:

Hi Mary. Thank you for reading. The "abs" example is really just one grounded way of getting at the greater point about meditation. If you want to do abs, cool. Some of my friends teach amazingly ab-focused classes. And if that works for them, cool. But as I wrote, my heart lies in the meditative aspects of this practice that are really at its heart, its ancient foundation. And as a teacher that's where I'd like my work to really help people. A quiet mind can come from that. There is a place for righteous passion when it looks to serve others. And that's where my goal is here. You can have strong abs and be smart and mindful. For sure.

• Paige Held says:

I agree with you Mary 100%.. I am a yoga teacher for 13 years and have been practicing for 17years and doing abs in a class can feel good and make your back stronger.. No big deal…

• Amanda F says:

I repeat

????? Did you read the same article?

9. Silvia says:

Doing hard intense work physically on the mat reminds me of my strength within. I can. I am capable. I can overcome. I can breathe through anything that life offers, especially when I feel like giving up. This body, this ego, this personality, these sensations will all disappear (love the t-shirt by the way) but for now they here to teach me what I need to learn. We are all on a different path which is perfect.

• Rachel says:

Silvia, I feel the same way. Thank you for your beautiful comment. I love an ass-kicking yoga class myself. In fact, if I don't get my sweat on, I feel disappointed. But I have been blessed to have teachers here in SF (my teacher in particular, Rusty Wells) who are at once mindful and philosophical and service-oriented and heart-opening and at the same time kick my butt! Man, do I love that!! And that's what I hope to be. The point being, of course, that you can have all those things at once, but not to privilege the abs over the meditation. Thank you.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

It's really strange. I have schizoid tastes in yoga. One class I go to you by the end of class you are absolutely NOT sweating … another will have you somewhat drenched. The latter does not have enough spirituality for me, and the former does have nearly enough and plenty of chanting and more pranayama that you could shake a stick at, in any case!

• Rachel says:

Which is exactly why sometimes we practice a few places. I'm currently juggling a melange of sweaty vinyasa (LOVE) and home practice (quiet, but I miss the sweat) and Bikram (yes, I'll admit it, I will always hold a place in my heart for that practice). We do what we need to do….and somehow, somewhere, we end up nourished.

10. Carol Horton Carol Horton says:

I find the writing here strong, passionate, and arresting, but not angry, condescending, or negative as some have suggested. Of course it can be a good thing for many reasons to strengthen your core, and there are ways to teach and practice "abs" mindfully. (They can in fact be used to counteract all the cultural baggage pointed out here. But that's another story.) But there is a larger truth, which is that meditative awareness is infinitely more valuable than six-pack abs. Blurring that distinction out of existence isn't helping anyone. I for one love the no b.s. tone of this post!

• Rachel says:

Thank you, Carol! I am grateful to the yoga practice for teaching me how to be real — and that realness includes speaking truths that are sometimes uncomfortable and not particularly "pretty," but which need to be spoken to preserve the integrity of the ancient practice as it becomes increasingly threatened by commodification and a Westernized version of gymnastics. It's so much about philosophy! I'm glad you found that larger truth here, too. Much love.

11. Jen says:

Beautiful! I remember myself as a teenager with a severe eating disorder, lying on the floor doing thousands of crunces after not eating all day. Then I started doing yoga, and the crushes slowed down. I started eating again. I felt so connected to the practice, at first because I was in a 90 degree room burning thousands of calories. Over time, I began to feel connected to myself. Today I teach yoga. Yes I teach power vinyasa, yes, I include crunches, but they are not a way to fight against the body but to connect to it.

• Rachel says:

Thank you, Jen! I am amazed by how many folks can relate to this story. As my friend and fellow yoga teacher Nina says: "yoga is not crunches, but crunches can be yoga, no?" I loved that. Anything can be yoga when it's mindful and infused with the intention of connecting the breath, right? The problem comes when we leave it at the workout and fail to transcend the gymnastics practice that is asana by infusing it with meditation and a mindful intent. Love to you as you share this life-giving practice through your own teaching.

12. catnip says:

I think that if people respected their bodies and accepted them as they ARE, with all imperfections, the world would be a better place. Having said that, I do feel healthier and more energetic when I am fit (fit and still sexy-curvy, as I will never ever be a skinny gal, even on one apple and diet coke a day). But i also think that not only can yoga be a workout, but it’s ok if you want that kind of yoga! I do! I’m lazy enough on my own. I can sleep in Savasana. But I think a Bikram class is a workout (hell, it changed my body as well as my mind, breathing, and posture) and I also think an Ashtanga class can be a workout. It’s ok to want a gentle yoga class. It’s also ok to want a challenging one. And breathing IS essential in both types, as you said! Alexa M.

• Rachel says:

Girl, I hear ya. You're speaking to a chick who spent 6 years doing Bikram every single day, sometimes twice. I love the sweat like nobody's business. And as you wrote, all kinds of yoga can teach you how to connect the breath and slow down the mental chatter. My concern comes in the reductionist tendencies that I'm seeing now more and more in the "yoga industry" (I have to put that in quotation marks because it makes me sad to see this practice commodified), which tend to leave out the ancient roots in meditation and philosophy and merely make yoga yet one more gym exercise. It's true that the benefits can come to you no matter your intention, and I know and love so many folks who got into it for the workout and stayed because, well, something changed for the better, holistically. I write with hyperbole here to try to make that point. Thanks for your feedback! Keep breathing. :-)

13. strawberryem says:

Thank you! For having the balls & the passion to say this!

• Rachel says:

Hooray for balls and passion! We don't have to be milquetoast yogis who have no opinions and spend their lives blissed out but sadly blasé. ;-) Thanks, friend. I appreciate it.

14. JoMo says:

Beautiful article, love your openness. They come and they go….

• Rachel says:

Thank you, dear. They come and go….and such is the teaching of impermanence, eh? So we learn even more to be in the moments when we're in them, really in them, because they are that much more precious because of their brevity. Thank you for reading. The yoga opens us up in ways beyond the physical.

15. SaraHuntie says:

Loved this. Loved it times, like, a thousand at least! What I loved most was that you kept it real- no airy fairy stuff, none of the making a statement and then semi-backpedaling. It was real, and it spoke to me, and now I’m going to pass it on to my friends. Thank you.

• Rachel says:

Sara, thank you so much. It's really important to me, especially as a yoga teacher but also just as a writer (and a human being) to be real. I get so tired of the New Agey meaningless yoga-speak that sometimes goes around in the "yoga scene." Don't we owe it to ourselves and to one another to say the things that really mean something to us, rather than getting lost in platitudes? Thank you for your sweet words. My wish in writing this piece was that other folks might be able to relate, and in so doing, they might feel less alone. That sounds a lot like yoga — union — to me.

16. matthew says:

Nice. You know, before class, my (awesome) teacher always asks if there is anything anybody wants to work on in particular. ALWAYS someone says: "abs". Then we do "yoga crunches" and I realize I am in the wrong class, the wrong studio, the wrong life, perhaps.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

So am I. Particularly when I realize that I've a cushiony mat full of self-sequenced pilates and dvds full of "yogic crunches" for free at home. As alluded to in a comment upthread here, I am a sucker for the New Age-speak, not the accessible abs … Of course, at least for now, I stopped coming to the class where they humiliate you if you don't try a headstand …

YMMV.

[For the record, I used to be Yogini5 on here ... I will not call myself a "Yogini" anymore if I have to be associated with this strange new breed of yoga shala and commercial yoga scene ...]

• Rachel says:

"Commercial yoga scene" — ugh, amen, sister! Commodification can suck it. Yoga's not something to be bought and sold. It's a beautiful lineage of teachings to be shared with anyone and everyone……..!

• Rachel says:

Or maybe you're in the right class, in the right studio, in the right life, because those damn "yoga crunches" are teaching you what feels good and right and true in your body and in your practice and in your life? :-) I try to look at those classes where I struggle with the content (e.g. a helluva lot of abs) as beloved teachers. The crunches and the workouts and whatnot, they remind us what really matters, and they force us to work even harder to find that clear, calm mind. And then you walk out the door and say, "ok, new teacher (or studio, or class)." It's a practice, baby. And I guess in that case, it's our gift to get to try to stay mindful during the Jane Fonda aerobics section…

• annieazano says:

That drives me crazy when someone requests abs! Do abs on your own time, not in a yoga class!

17. Great article! So true and after spending a week in a Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy training yoga is indeed much much deeper and more powerful than just another workout, something I already knew as an instructor but now have ingrained in every cell of my body!

18. Thanks for this great piece, Rachel. Honest and exactly right.

• Rachel says:

Thanks, Suzanne. I so appreciate your feedback, especially as a fellow writer who's not afraid of being a little edgy. Cheers! We gotta speak up, baby!

19. warriorsaint says:

Hey Rachel: I sure can appreciate your passion. However, a strong core is still important in injury prevention in many of the more advanced yoga moves. This really hit home with me when I took a workshop with Ana Forrest a few years ago. She noticed when she worked in a few core strengtheners her students had less injuries. Check out her book "Fierce Medicine."
    p.s. Stomach crunches went away a long time ago.

• Rachel says:

Thanks, warriorsaint. I hear you on the core stuff, loud and clear. As I wrote above, my use of the abs example is really one means of hyperbole to better make the point that yoga is more about meditation than a gym-style workout. Forrest core work really inspires me. And there are SO many ways we can build that strong core without being reduced to spastic crunches. Your P.S. made me smile. Would that it were so, but I've seen too many crunches in classes here in SF to even begin to count. And there's nothing WRONG with them, that's the thing! Sometimes I even feel weirdly like teaching them. The point of what I write, though, is that 90 minutes of those crunches (and/or a similar workout style class), performed on a yoga mat, do not necessarily a yoga practice make. It's so much more. Thanks for your feedback. I've been meaning to get Fierce Medicine for awhile now.

• Amanda F says:

Many yoga poses build strong cores. Without being an aerobics class.

20. yogini3770 says:

i simply enjoyed reading a passionate edgy yogis thoughts. rachel, your writing is so that i feel i am reading your journal. keep writing.

• Rachel says:

Thank you, friend. That means the world to me. Truly. Just because you're an equanimous yogi doesn't mean you're not allowed to have passionate, edgy thoughts. Or so I say! :-)

21. Lynn says:

Although I get your point, using such strong language including the Lord's name in vain sort of deflates your point. Dropping the EF bomb repeatedly doth not a great article make. Asanas are very much about disciplining not only the mind, but the body as well. So just like cranking out situps doesn't make a great practice, dropping the EF bomb repeatedly in a article doesn't make it more legitimate or accurate. People these days do not have strong enough core muscles to properly excrete the poisons and bile from their organs causing an array of health issues including depression and numerous gastrinal intenstinal problems. The Spriritual Philosphy of Kriya Yoga by Goswami Kriyandana goes to great lengths to explain the importantce of a strong core. Om.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

I don't mind the f-bombs. I don't get those in yoga classes, but in other highly spiritual mind-body disciplines, to date.

Presence or absence does not make one more or less spiritual. Gratuitous use does raise my eyebrows, though …

• Rachel says:

Hi Lynn. Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I'll check it out. Just because I don't endorse mindless abs routine doesn't mean I don't believe in a very strong core. As noted, above, I use the abs example as a greater means of expressing the ways in which I see the "yoga industry" veering toward gymnastics, and this is concerning to me. As for the swearing, I believe in being real. I grew up a preacher's kid (yep), so I know all about being disciplined, don't get me wrong. And a great gift of the yoga practice has been teaching me to loosen up, soften, open, and be real, and less rigid. There's a lot of very safe yoga writing out there, and I aspire to risk a little edge in service of honesty. Thanks for your thoughts.

22. Jason says:

Glad warriorsaint already brought up Ana Forrest. I've also felt frustrated by the lack of mindfulness during ab work in vinyasa classes I've taken but the ab work that Ana teaches is mindful and focused. There's nothing I enjoy teaching more. You mentioned unraveling, letting go, and unraveling. To me, part of what makes ab work so powerful is its ability to do these 3 things to an area that so many of us have numbed out.

• Rachel says:

Thanks, Jason. I love your last sentence. That's a really great way of looking at core work. And as I wrote above in response to warriorsaint, I've been leaning toward Forrest for some time now because of how inspired I've been by the friends and colleagues who teach Forrest-style core work. You give me hope that abs don't have to be mindless. Thank you.

23. Heather L. Ash says:

I agree with this sentiment on some levels, but for those of us who are teachers we have to be careful to not define what yoga "is," thus opening the doorway to define what yoga "is not." The word yoga simply means union. And there are many who argue that classical suns, and backbends, and headstands aren't "true yoga" either. The first limb of yoga is Asana – or pose. Simple as that. There are seven other limbs that are not physical, but the point is the first and most basic limb IS physical. But it isn't defined much beyond that. It is just the physical preparation we do to clear our minds and ready our bodies for deeper states of meditation.

I don't practice yoga for the physical benefits in my own life, but some people start out that way and then the deeper significance seeps in to their being. I believe our place as teachers of yoga is to offer space for people to be whomever they want to be and discover that however it is going to come to them. Yoga seems to me to be like a love relationship: Sometimes two people are best friends for years before romantic love blossoms, sometimes people are chemically, romantically drawn to one another, fall in fascination first and the friendship flowers slowly over time. Yoga is, for me and others a spiritual journey first and foremost from the start. For others that I know, they have to exercise open their bodies and find a little stress relief first before their spirits start to speak to them on the mat. So abs, while not important in the grand scheme, when taught wisely, are an amazing way to improve the ability to stand tall. When we can stand taller we can face our lives with a little more bravery. Abs work also gives us a chance to connect with the breath when it is at its most challenged, and even more so with the mind when it is at its most resistant.

I feel like it is a disservice to characterize abs work in a yoga class so limitedly. Some of the most spiritual teachers I have had teach abs for the very reasons I have mentioned and not one of them has a clearly visible six pack. As a teacher, I don't teach a lot of abs, it isn't my niche yet. But I appreciate the physical, mental, AND spiritual benefits that can be gained from any yoga pose or series of movements in the hands of a capable teacher. So, as a student, I would beg my teachers to teach what resounds with their own spirits, but release the door closing, judgemental defining of what yoga is and/or is not.
    If yoga has taught me anything, it is that the world is full of paths and doorways to get to the same place of peace and love and bliss. Saying that yoga IS this or IS NOT that is like saying you ONLY get to heaven by believing in Jesus and all other ways lead to hell. A dangerous and very divisive attitude to say the least…

• Rachel says:

Really lovely and well-said, Heather. Thanks for your feedback. I hear you.

As I mentioned in some comment replies above, my hyperbole with the "abs" example and the swearing that some folks are reading as angry or a "divisive attitude" are really just my attempts at finding a grounded way of getting at the greater point about meditation. If you want to do abs in classes, cool. Some of my friends teach amazingly ab-focused classes. And if that works for them, right on. But as I wrote, my heart lies in the meditative aspects of this practice that are really at its base, its foundation, and I believe we can really help students by sharing those aspects with them, as well, and not simply reducing the practice to a workout. I have great sorrow at the trajectory I see the "yoga industry" moving as it heads more toward the gymnastic and away from the other crucial 7 limbs that round out this practice that so many of us know and love. As a teacher, I know there are plenty of places that students can go to get great ab workouts. I'd like my work to really help people find stillness and peace, even in the midst of a hard physical practice, yes, but not to the detriment of the meditation. There is a place for righteous passion when it looks to serve others, and while there are a lot of yoga teachers out there who say very "safe" things and believe it's best not to ever become passionate, I turn with great reverence to one of my literary idols, Audre Lorde, who wrote: "Your silence will not protect you." Among so many other gifts, yoga has taught me how to be authentic, to find my voice, to be real. And from the shocking numbers of folks who seem to have connected with the sentiments here, I can't help but think it was worth the risk to say these vulnerable, edgy things out loud. I feel greater union because of that, and so many people have told me how connected they feel to this, too. And my heart beats at the beauty of that yoga. Peace, my friend. Keep on teaching with your heart — I can tell you love it!

24. Kim says:

Any health practitioner with their head out of their ass will tell you that exercise in any form is a good thing. While your form of yoga is a wonderful thing, it isn't everyone's thing. We're all different. That's what makes the world such a beautiful place. As far as I'm concerned, if having a nice flat tummy makes a woman feel good about herself and reflects the great care she takes to stay healthy and fit, where's the bad? How about a little more acceptance, and a little less judgement?

• Rachel says:

Thanks for reading, Kim. I don't disagree with you that ANY kind of moving the body is a good (great!) thing. However, this isn't "my" form of yoga. It's the yoga that goes back to Patanjali, who wrote down the orally-transmitted yoga sutras WAY back in the day. The "yoga" that we know now in the West is very much a gym hybrid of a psychological, meditative practice for watching the mind. There's nothing bad about a "nice flat tummy" per se; however, we who study culture in a serious way know that all things happen in context, and the cultural context that encourages yoga as a means of achieving a "flat tummy" seems to me stilted and not necessarily life-giving. As other folks have said, the meditative and emotional benefits of a yoga practice can often come unknowingly through a physical practice. Acceptance without critical thinking is a dangerous thing. We who love the practice and who have found ourselves transformed by it (and in many cases, have found our lives SAVED by it) owe to to ourselves and to one another to call out the truth and the hypocrisies in this latest contemporary American manifestation of the practice. I love it too much to let it be co-opted by the workout industry. Thank you for your thoughts. If you'd like to learn more about the philosophy behind the practice, Michael Stone and Steve Ross both have awesome books out on yoga philosophy that really cracked my heart open in the best of ways. Happy yoga-ing.

• Heather L. Ash says:

The problem lies with her putting her self worth in the shape of her tummy. I hope that we women in particular but all people can learn, through yoga, that our physical appearance and/or abilities cannot be depended on to make us feel good about ourselves in the long run because there comes a time in everyone's life that our bodies are beyond our control.

25. Rachel says:

Thanks for all your feedback, y'all. I dig folks who want to have real conversations about this kind of thing: impermanence and yoga philosophy and bodies and commodification and all of it. You rock for reading. Now, where did I put my legwarmers?

26. Julian Walker yogijulian says:

wow a lot of mixed messages. honestly i wonder of some of the eating disorder extremism is still at play here?

the body will be a corpse? yes, but then you keep coming back to it being able to breathe…

if the body will be a corpse and so therefore we shouldn't do abdominal work, then why should we stretch or breathe or meditate?

last i checked strengthening the abdomen also had to do with supporting the low back and building a strong core that was key to every other physical activity. what makes core work so lame and unspiritual and caturanga so sublime?

the body will be a corpse – so are we practicing yoga for the after life or something? we are alive for a brief moment as you say – but that is also a good argument for keeping as strong, flexible and enlivened as possible for our limited time….. sure we will all grow old and gain weight etc – but i am confused as to why this is an argument against non-yogic physical activity but not against yoga…

• Rachel says:

Great points, my friend. As I noted in a few comment replies above, much of what I've done with this piece is relied upon a fair amount of hyperbole to make my point. The body being a corpse wake-up call reminds us of that Buddhist Noble Truth of impermanence: that all things arise, suffer change, and fade away, including even our very bodies, which most of us have been taught to cling to by the current pop culture attitudes toward youth and beauty. If we can accept that our blessed time in these sweet bodies is indeed brief, we can better live well in them sans self-destruction of the kind that some of us have relied upon in the past. Waking up to our passing lives can help us to live more fully in the present. And there's nothing WRONG with core work. I do core in every class, and teach it via other methods that feel a little less gym-centric. The point is, there's so much more to yoga than a workout. Many people come to the practice for asana and end up staying for all the other holistic benefits, but as the industry gets more and more commodified and co-opted by the workout craze, it's incumbent upon those of us who love it and have been transformed by it to call out what feels false or dangerous or un-life-giving. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

27. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Rachel, I'm in love with your honesty and openness and even more so your energy. So glad to have you here. Looking forward to more!

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

• Rachel says:

Thank you, Tanya! So appreciate your support. Love that a space like this exists where we can speak outside of the yoga box. Looking forward to more myself!

28. angie says:

wow wow, loved this article. so passionate, so wonderful. It brought fiery tears to my eyes. thank you for this.

29. I wrote a similar article on this a couple months ago.. .http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/09/the-yoga-teacher-workout–hannah-siegle/

Is teaching yoga a workout?

• Rachel says:

Great article, Hannah. Thanks for the heads-up. It's an interesting question. I too came from the Bikram style background (and before that, dance classes where the teacher definitely isn't doing the moves with you), and one of the foundations of my vinyasa training has always been to learn to speak so clearly and confidently as to move throughout the room rather than ever practicing alongside folks. This changes according to setting, of course; in classes of two or three students, sometimes I think it can be appropriate to practice a bit more so they don't feel like I'm just staring them down the whole time. (I know as a student, that feeling is a real hindrance to my ability to lose myself deeply in meditation). But I've gotta admit, sometimes when I'm teaching 16 classes a week and don't have the usual time to practice in my own body, sometimes I feel sooooo jealous of those folks stretching up into a beautiful Trikonasana! The more I teach, the more I realize how very crucial it is for us to "fill up our gas tanks" by scheduling in time to practice ourselves. It only makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

30. elli says:

amen good stuff

31. Lauren says:

Just curious. Where do you live? Probably not America. More than half of us are overweight. There are so few that are 98 pounds and wasting away, worried about their abs. Most Americans are fat, on a couch, and watching QVC. This sounds like a directed attack on a few women who drive you crazy. A little humility goes a long way. Let it go. Chill out.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

And thus, with punishing cleanses, guilt trips and eating disorders lain upon us (someone's anorexia trip could serve as a reproach to we who have arrested compulsive eating disorders), punishing, self-mortifying workouts … another misogynistic diet/fitness industry is born …why should I be paying for this?

• Rachel says:

Hi Lauren. As my bio above states, I live in San Francisco, which is admittedly as far away from "normal" America as you can get. I grew up in the Great Plains, however, so I know the Heartland, and I know that while what you wrote about QVC is very true, what I experienced in that very Heartland was also very, very common. From the comments I've received after sharing this piece, I know it was not an isolated experience. So no, I did not intend this reflection on death, impermanence and bodies to be a direct attack on anyone. I'm sorry that it read that way to you. The writing came from my own experience in the yoga world, watching this meditative practice be turned into yet another workout craze. I love this practice so much, and I believe that we who love (and have been transformed by) it owe it to ourselves, to one another and to future generations to keep it rooted in the mindful principles underlying its modern, contemporary, pop culture co-option. Thank you for reading.

32. LOVE this Rachel!! I originally sought out yoga as one more workout, but turned out it did far more to sculpt my heart and soul than my body. <3 thanks so much for writing this!

• Rachel says:

Thanks, Kate! That's what's kind of amazing, isn't it? So many of us came to yoga for the workout, and stayed because we found ourselves emotionally and spiritually changed. Powerful stuff, that. Thanks for reading, and for your sweet support! Love.

33. Holly Meyers says:

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing so frankly and poignantly. The first time you wrote "This body will be a corpse," I immediately thought, "Every Asana session ends in a little death." I can't just practice yoga on a mat, it has to translate into every part of my life. So when I lie down for Savaasana, I can reflect – I just practiced 60 minutes of healing and growth. And when I lie down to die, I want to think – I just practiced 100 (!) years of healing and growth.

34. Jessica says:

I teach mindful movement and meditation classes that incorporate a blend from my studies of Pilates (therapeutics), Feldenkrais technique (awareness through movement) and hatha/restorative asana (depending on the needs of the given group or student). I agree with C.Horton that there is a distinction to be made, and currently core and accessory exercises that can really enhance awareness are being integrated without encouragement to explore experientially.

There is a mindful quality available in all we do, and going to our deepest muscles can take your practice to new heights (not to mention it provides more material that lends more modifications to asana making them ultimately more accessible and safe at any level).

• Rachel says:

Love this, Jessica. Thanks so much. It's funny, one of the unexpected graces of writing this piece has been that I've learned so much more about how to integrate mindful core work into my teaching via various methods outside my usual vinyasa style. What a gift that's been. Although I used a fair amount of hyperbole about abs here to illustrate my point, I've been grateful to be reminded of the power and potential for core work to be so very mindful. Thanks for your feedback.

35. [...] Why Yoga’s Not a Workout. ~ Rachel Meyer [...]

36. gymnastics says:

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give one thing again and aid others such as you helped me.

37. Kerri says:

Yoga is one of the hardest things I have ever done, but there's a love there, for how it makes you feel. Time to get back to it.

38. [...] ‘yogacising’ phenomenon fits really well into our go-go culture. For most of us, we think that sitting still [...]

39. Kristin says:

As someone who struggles with an eating disorder, this post is beautiful.

40. Jerald Wirfs says:

great website!! You could start many more. I love all the info provided. I will stay tuned.

41. hjcotton says:

I feel i need good sustenance in order to do my yoga effectively especially in inversions and backbends.

42. [...] she began rattling off her response, I felt disheartened. Her list of answers included “sweat”, “work-out”, “toned” and [...]

43. ashki says:

1) white girl is correct, its not a workout… its about hinduism at its core. you will be dumb to call it otherwise.

2) westerners dont know jack about real yoga… go find a ashram in india to get the real deal. Make sure you commit.
    I will never trust a westerner who thinks " it will make me more bendy" and disregards the true meaning.

3) We made it as 5000 years ago, as a total mind and body system with the end goal being enlightenment.
    Not "something you do just because Angelina jolie does it"

4) Christians, kid yourself all you want.. but this is hindu spirituality at its base.
    I dont think your god will like that, we being "Pagans" and all. There is no such thing as "christian yoga"

5) Angry?, Curious?… good. Learn the truth and enlighten yourselves :http://www.swamij.com/traditional-yoga.htm

44. [...] had heard of any of the “other” yoga teachings; they just knew and taught Hatha yoga as an exercise class. This is not unusual, but hatha is only one aspect of a rich and expansive system and these [...]

45. [...] challenging, and yes, I understand that certain styles honor the rigorous and meditative origins). Personally, I enjoy sweating with a few dozen friends in a humid room. Workout aside, what we’ve lost in transition is the mirror that we need to hold up so that we can [...]

46. [...] challenging, and yes, I understand that certain styles honor the rigorous and meditative origins). Personally, I enjoy sweating with a few dozen friends in a humid room. Workout aside, what we’ve lost in transition is the mirror that we need to hold up so that we can [...]

47. Sorry, but I use yoga as a workout, along with spinning, trailrunning and swimming. My spiritual life is my business! If it is your spiritual practice, that's wonderful (as is running for some people). But saying yoga shouldn't be regarded as a workout is at best forcing your ideas on others, and at worst, straight-up prosteletizing your spirituality – which is just as offensive as when Mormons, Christians, or others do so, and which I find totally disgusting.

UGH, I would never take a class from you, or anyone who forced their ideas of what a spiritual practice IS or IS NOT on me. That's just plain old rude.

48. akreimer says: