Via on Nov 26, 2011

Or why diet soda isn’t diet.

Nutrition is not boring, tasteless or complicated.

Nurturing yourself and taking an active part in your becoming is one the most creative and revolutionary acts, because through it, you are literally making new pieces of You, building new cells that form your body and your mind. Your brain—the place where you design the rest of your life—is also made of flesh.

“You are what you eat” is not a metaphor but a literal statement.

You can always do something, under any circumstances or excuses. And it’s never too late…until it is.

It all starts with educating ourselves and unlearning a lifetime of madness, artificial food, and unconscious self-destruction.

Here’s an entertaining 9 minute video that shows you how to maintain your pH on the healthy side of town, like they never taught us in elementary school.

You can’t possibly know thyself if you don’t know thy food. You’re voting for your health and wellbeing with a fork at least three times a day and these votes add up, one way or another.

So, dear you (and dear me), start acting like the president of your body, mostly because you are. Invest in balance and your healthcare will come free of charge—or at least cheaper, in every way.

About Andrea Balt

Co-Founder / Editor in Chief of Rebelle Society, Wellness Alchemist at Rebelle Wellness & Creativity Curator at Creative Rehab. Unfinished book with a love for greens, bikes and poetry; raised by wolves & adopted by people; not trying to make art but to Be Art. Holds a BA in Journalism & Mass Communication, an MFA in Creative Writing & a Holistic Health Coach degree from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition®. In her work she tries to reflect the wholeness of the human experience by combining Art & Health + Brains & Beauty + Darkness & Brilliance into a more alive, unabridged and unlimited edition of ourselves. She is also on a quest to reinstate Creativity as one of our essential Human Rights to (hopefully and soon) be included in the UN Declaration. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and sign up for her Monthly Stroke of Renaissance.

34 Responses to “Acid vs. Alkaline: All you need to know about your body pH in less than 10 minutes.”

1. Andrea! This is such a wonderful, concise explanation of something so important! Thanks for sharing it!

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Thanks Kate! Always a pleasure. I find nutrition very similar to art, it's a misunderstood creative power that we've never been taught how to use properly. All that most people know is "something about calories". Once you get over that first (false) impression though, it's fascinating to learn about your body and take an active part in its constant creation.

The PH issue for instance, sounds like a foreign language, until someone has the kindness to tell you a story about it, as shown in this video. I ran into it last night and I'm glad to see that it's being helpful.

2. Jeff Krouk says:

from Dr. Jarvis at http://www.lugols.com
    The knowledge that acids thin body fluids has been brought over from the days when blood-letting was a common form of treatment. We have found in the barn that the milk of a normal cow is weakly acid. When the reaction of the milk changes to alkaline, the milk becomes soup-thick. This thickness will disappear and the milk will return to its normal watery character, however, if and when the cow is given four ounces of apple cider vinegar and four ounces of water by mouth from a bottle, night and morning.

There are other ways of observing this principle in action but this is sufficient here. The point is, no busy executive wants his blood to be on the thick side, like soup; he under-stands that it should be thin, in order to circulate easily throughout the body, making easy work for his heart as it pumps blood with each beat.

At breakfast this man omits wheat foods, wheat cereals, white sugar, and citrus fruits and fruit juices because in the majority of people these foods change the normal acid reac-tion of the urine to alkaline. The alkalinity is a signal that the blood is thicker than it should be, that it is not easily circulated and requires more heart effort to pump it. There-fore this man replaces these unwise foods with rye and corn foods and cereals. Instead of white sugar he uses honey. In place of citrus foods and citrus juices he takes the contents of a bottle of fruit sold at the grocery store under the name Junior Foods. Or, if he chooses, he may take apple, grape, or cranberry juice

3. Jeff Krouk says:

and another bit from the same artricle above: A young Vermonter not only learns about the virtues of apple cider vinegar, but he is also taught the value of Lugol's Solution of Iodine, which was devised in the nineteenth century by a French physician.

At one time I enlisted the aid of twelve small children, none of them more than five years old, who were to serve as human guinea pigs for two years, so that the second year might be compared to the first year. The object of this study was to learn whether little children got sick on an alkaline urine or on an acid urine background. In time I learned that they did indeed become ill on the alkaline reaction and recovered when the urine was restored to its normal acid reaction.

4. Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Thank you for reading and commenting, Jeff. I read both of your comments twice because I wasn't (still not) sure if I followed.

Perhaps it's just me and my blood is too thick this morning, but it appears like you would be defending a diet that leans more towards acidic foods? I'll take a look at the article you suggest to get a better idea.

5. John Dalton John_Dalton says:

This is brilliant Andréa. Simple, clear and very helpful. I'm going to share it over on the Open source Cranio page. http://www.facebook.com/OpenSourceCranio

6. Nicole says:

I enjoyed the video, such great food for thought. I am entertained/educated by comments, as well, and like how you (Andrea Balt) phrase your responses to your commenters. This article/video has compelled me to do more research on my own–thanks for the inspiration!

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Thanks so much Nicole. That was exactly my intention, point at something greater – an entire adventure with one's health (and life) that cannot be entirely explained in just 10 minutes, only suggested. Good luck with your search. It's always rewarding, even if sometimes it may not seem like it. :)

7. Brian says:

being strictly accurate in your typo's: In a sentence were YOU, Andrea Balt, tell I, what I cannot do, is a limiting belief of your own which shares no purpose then what it ment to you. As knowing thy self, can arouse from any circumstances as nothing happens without the presence of self. As that being said, I like the simplicity in the movie, explained benefits and lack off's as seen by narrator in choosing a balanced diet, of alkaline and acid supplements.
    Tendency noticed; as an alkaline body ph level, your connections and associations towards needs, suffering and so on, will often be recognized as possibilities to learn more about ones habbits, than as a Acid body ph level, the victim hood often comes in and symptom treatment will begin.

Great insights in a efficient package of visuals, relevant questioning and fast paced observations.
    Love it!

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Hey Brian, I find your psychological description of alkaline and acid ph levels interesting.

On the other hand, I had a hard time reading through the first half of your comment. I’m still not sure if I’ve fully understood. At first I thought it was spam (LOL).

If I am not mistaken, you seem bothered by me saying that "you can't possibly know thyself if you don’t know thy food”, because you see it as a limitation and you think that no matter what you do you will be knowing yourself in the process… as in "don't tell me what i can or can't do"… I was actually pointing to the Socratic aphorism "know thyself", not using the expression literally or “scientifically”.

That is why it's in italics and I didn't think of including any link or further explanation because it seemed to me to be common knowledge and self-explanatory. I guess I was careless about that.

When used in this context and in its most common version, “know thyself” = "understand yourself". It transcends the literal meaning, pointing to a deeper and more intimate relationship with oneself. As such, I was stating that "understanding one's food, one's fuel and nutrition" is an essential and a non-negociable part of understanding (knowing) yourself more fully, in a deeper way. You can read more about the meaning and uses of this aphorism throughout history, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_thyself

But I am glad that, even though you disagree with my use of Greek wisdom :), you still enjoyed and found the video helpful, because that's what this post was all about.

8. doro says:

thank You for posting this video, I like it! and for me it is not showing in anyway a diet You have to follow it is rather a simple explained tool to balance the intake of your food. Chinese cooks with the fife elements and they watch careful that every meal has all fife of them and in a balanced way and for me this video gives us a tool to do she with western food, just to balance the our intake on a day basis maybe…

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Thanks Doro. I've been wanting to learn more about Chinese medicine for a while, but haven't found the time. Most of what I had a chance to read makes a lot of sense and it does take balance into account. The good news is that these basic principles of balance can be applied to any diet, especially the Western one. You gotta do what you can with what you have, right?

9. Troy says:

You conflate brain and mind.

10. Gretchen says:

I liked the simplicity of this video post. It gave a perspective of balance to me. I see other comments saying well if you eat all alkaline foods you'll kill yourself…That says to me that people are not actually hearing what is being said. If I got it right, and I think I did,…Even if you eat more Alkaline foods than Acidic your outside influences, stress, lack of sleep will still offset your PH which your body in turn has to remedy. In turn those activities of more stress and lack of sleeep can usually drive people to drink soda's and energy drinks for a quick jolt more often than not.

I am always looking at ways to better what I eat and how I can contribute to helping my bosy come back into homeostasis. WHere can I get that chart of Acidic vs. Alkaline foods the video maker mentioned? Thanks again.

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Hey Gretchen. Yes, there are plenty of opinions to justify everyone's actions and food choices. In the end though, I think the choice should rely more on reason and evidence than taste preferences (though healthy food is often tastier, in my opinion, and when it’s not, it gets there). What there's no doubt about is that a change is needed in our Western diet. Already on its way.

I have no idea where you can get the charts. Maybe you can try to trace them back to the person who made the video. I tried but wasn’t lucky.

11. irenioskamoska says:

The video has been removed. It was linked somewhere today and came to read and see, but it´s gone

12. [...] Alkalizing the body helps keep the blood healthy and the lymphatic system moving, maintaining a constant natural detox. [...]

13. [...] you refuse to take care of yourself physically by eating badly and not exercising, possibly causing yourself severe health problems, your partner may feel [...]

14. Rick says:

I want to believe this stuff, but as an intelligent sceptic, I realized that while the explanation is simple and well thought out, it lacks even a single reference to a credible scentific study that supports its assertions. For example, it repeatedly states/implies that the reason anti-acid use is going up, is because people are eating more acidy foods and drinking more soda. However, there is no evidence presented of a "causal relationship" between these to observations. Another explanation, and one that I have heard from doctors, is that people are simply fatter, and that this pressure on the stomach forces acid into the throat, causing acid reflux, and thus the need for antacids. So it is not the acid itself, but the fact that people are fat, and should simply consume less calories.

I am diet-coke addict. However, I am in excellent shape, and after losing 30 pounds, have no acid reflux symptoms – though I used to when I was heavier. That said, if I was compelled to believe the information in the extremely well-done video, I most certainly would kick my addition to diet-coke. However, there seems to be no support for the assertions in the video about the benefits of an alkaline diet from a respected source such as the AMA. I am able to keep a near-ideal body weight without acid-reflux issues, while drinking an admittedly obscene amount of Diet Coke a day, and this seems to fly in the face of the assertions presented.

So in short: Is there any REAL scientific study from a respected source that will back up the cause relationships of weight gain and acid problems associated with a diet that is too acidic? I am talking about something that really says that eating acidy food causes your system to work to hard to keep an alkaline balance and thus causes weight gain, acid reflux and/or other problems. Thanks in advance for any thoughtful replies.

15. Dr Berg created the alkaline/acid measurement of food. His scale says that coffee is alkaline. He does not use PH. Green tea is the most alkaline food– alkaline level of 54.

16. [...] you balance your pH, energy, clarity and a clean feeling arise as a fully functioning system clears out waste and good [...]

17. Jennifer says:

Rick, exactly. I have no idea if this is pseudo-science mumbo jumbo or reality because it was presented with nothing to back it up. I have been burned too many times before with that approach. Show us the science, lady, or else stay out of it.

18. Ringo Gato says:

I am a little late to the discussion but I assume you mean to illustrate the acid/base balance of foods (the term “alkaline” is not truly correct in this matter). The relative acidity of a food before it is eaten isn’t necessarily an indication of how the body deals with it as it is processed. As Loren Cordain, Ph.D. points out, “All foods upon digestion ultimately must report to the kidneys as either acid or base. When the diet yields a net acid load (such as low-carb fad diets that restrict consumption of fruits and vegetables), the acid must be buffered by the alkaline stores of base in the body. Calcium salts in the bones represent the largest store of alkaline base in the body and are depleted and eliminated in the urine when the diet produces a net acid load. The highest acid-producing foods are hard cheeses, cereal grains, salted foods, meats, and legumes, whereas the only alkaline, base-producing foods are fruits and vegetables. Because the average American diet is overloaded with grains, cheeses, salted processed foods, and fatty meats at the expense of fruits and vegetables, it produces a net acid load and promotes bone demineralization. By replacing hard cheeses, cereal grains, and processed foods with plenty of green vegetables and fruits, the body comes back into acid/base balance which brings us also back into calcium balance. The goal is to avoid a net acid load on your kidneys.”

A net acid-producing diet contributes to calcium kidney stones, age-related muscle wasting, hypertension, stroke, asthma and exercise-induced asthma. On the other hand, a balanced diet that supplies of acidic and basic foods (i.e., grass produced or free ranging meats, fish and seafood, fruits, and vegetables) and will not cause bone demineralization or other maladies associated with a net acid-producing diet.

19. Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

I understand your position Kitty. Nutrition feels like a battlefield sometimes. It admits so many different, even opposite opinions and theories; and they can all be “scientifically” proven by their defenders. They all claim objectivity and regard their opposites as "unscientific". There's a relative side to everything, of course, but then again, in my own experience, I've come to see some objectivity as well, some truths that are echoed through many different theories, the PH balance and the issue of inflammation being one.

In defense of this video I will say:

- You're right in that it is a video "someone made on the internet", and that is exactly why it doesn't come with the archives from the scientific journals where the studies are published. But no one (not even the people who made it) is pretending otherwise than to give their opinion (which you are also doing and have a right to).

- You're also right in that food and drink are not the only factors that determine one's PH. But if you watch again, you'll see that it also mentions stress and lack of sleep as two other factors. And nowhere does it say that these are the only factors.

- Most people don't care about all the scientific data, but about the story of their lives (and they are awfully busy). If they feel sick, you give them an advice — which is what this video is trying to do in less than 10 minutes — on what the causes could be and on what they could do to feel better, something that will stay with them and remind them to look further. You do it creatively and you make it interesting. No one is trying to defend a thesis here, in front of a Harvard jury. Saying “eat more vegetables” is not less scientific than saying – "The Oxford Vegetarian Study: An Overview, Appleby et al. 1999, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 70, 525S: A 16-year study of 6000 vegetarians and 5000 non-vegetarians in the UK found that the vegetarians generally had lower LDL cholesterol levels and lower death rates for each of the mortality endpoints studied."

- Increasing your consumption of alkaline foods as opposed to continuing on a diet that is making people sick and obese is not "a bunch of invalid assumptions" but the most basic advice given in nearly every dietary theory with any study approved by and published in any scientific journal.

- The standard for eating something or not eating it is not "if it makes you feel better, by all means eat that way". What is "better"? Pizza, burgers, pasta, coke (insert refined food of choice) make a lot of people "feel better" or at least think that they do – to the point of addiction. But are they though?

- You mention that "if you were to change your body's PH you'd likely kill yourself." Isn't that what heart disease, cancer and diabetes (the three most prominent murderers in the Western world) are doing to millions of people? All three of them strongly correlated to inflammation and acidity, by the way. If you can obviously kill yourself by eating this way, why is it so hard to believe that you can revert the damage by doing the opposite? I mean, it's pure animal logic, even if there was no "scientific" data to back it up. A dog would know. Why can’t we?

20. Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Thanks Karuna,

Organic locavore! So relevant and urgent. It's one of those topics that could be used for both, small and big talk. (Instead of saying: Cold outside, huh? I say: Organic, huh? Organic…) I'm 150% in. In fact, I'm plotting against Monsanto as we speak. :)