It is easy to establish a rhythm in the familiar environment. You can control your schedule, sleep, meals and fitness activities. It creates a routine. Even going to a place you really like can put a toll on the system. You can try these strategies to adjust and enjoy the journey.
- Check your tickets and identification.
- You can print your boarding pass 24 hours prior to the trip.
- Pack an organized carry-on. If you can, try not to check in your bag. It is very easy to over-pack only to end wearing the same clothing over and over.
- Check the information about the liquid rules for carry-ons.
- Check the prohibited items.
- Bring some snacks: your favorite fruit, nuts, a few bars. The food in the airport is rarely healthy.
- Don’t forget a few good books and tunes.
If in doubt, leave it out…
- Unpack your bags right after arrival. A messy room can add to your discombobulating phase.
- If you like candles, use a scented one with lavender to refresh your senses.
- Yoga comes extremely handy on the road. Try a few easy lunges, arms Vinyasa to release the shoulders, downward dog on the wall, cakravakasana – cat to child pose and apanasana – knees to chest.
- If you have a regular practice, try it, but don’t force your body.
- You may have no space or energy for a yoga asana practice, but you can always practice Pranayama. Start by closing your eyes and focusing on your breathing, slowly deepening the breaths and making inhalations and exhalations smooth and even. Try inhaling and exhaling on the count of 3 or 4 for twelve times.
- Meditate. Simple focusing on your breath, a heartbeat or a candle light for a few minutes will ease your tension.
And finally, let it all go. It’s easy to over-schedule the trip and craft a dream of perfection.
Remember, you’re on vacation! Slow down, chill out and have a good time.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,371 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017’s First Full Moon in Cancer: Everything we Want is on the Other Side of Fear. 22,561 shares Why I Snort Raw Cacao. 9,343 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 1,987 share If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 6,787 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,232 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 149 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 3,437 shares You’ve Ruined Me for Anyone Else. 1,731 share