Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?

Via Ben Ralston
on Nov 25, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Editor’s note: given the controversial and personal nature of this post, it seems necessary to remind readers that we do not and can not endorse views or opinions of our many writers as representative of elephant as a whole. Generally, we do not support “advertorial” (which this article has been accused of being—whether or not it is in in the eye of each reader)—but in any case given the valuable discussion below, that has managed to be mostly respectful and helpful, I thank Ben for putting himself out there. Comments that are critical or positive are equally welcome; personal or disrespectful comments will be deleted. ~ Waylon Lewis, ed.

Profound healing.

Last night I gave a presentation near Ljubljana.

Nataša came.

I barely recognized her, but as soon as she said her name I knew which Nataša it was.

I’d met her 18 months ago, just the once. She came to me for a single healing session. The email she sent me afterwards has been on my website as a testimonial ever since.

She’d been suffering from depression and (to put it mildly) ‘dark thoughts’ for most of her life.

Despite seeking help from multiple doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, and healers, nothing and no one had been able to help her.

When she came to me she had also been having serious problems with her thyroid and was due surgery to have it removed. That was actually the catalyst that led her to me.

The result of that single session:

total transformation

No more depression, and no need for surgery – normal thyroid function.

The email she sent me after the session said this:

“My son never wanted to cuddle me before… now he’s constantly cuddling up next to me, and the light in his eyes when he looks at me says it all.

Thank you.”

18 months later her thyroid is still fine, and she is still free of depression.

One. Single. Session.

I get that, really I do. Everywhere we look people are trying to sell us something.

And as the son of an advertising executive I’m particularly sensitive to it – the very, very last thing I want to do is come across like that, believe me!

But the thing is, it’s just not about me.

It’s about this wonderful, miraculous therapy: profound healing that actually works (on the causal level), permanently.

Your essence is pure, perfect consciousness. As such you are divine. Yoga calls this Satchitananda (pure being, consciousness, and bliss).

This is why it is easy and fast to heal almost anything. We are meant to be healthy and happy. It is our birthright. And whatever is blocking our experience of that perfection is easy to let go of, because it’s not really who we are.

In love,

For another (short video) demonstration of what is possible in just one session, see my blog Grounded Spirituality, here.

Please share this information as widely as you can. Help to change the world outside, one person at a time,  from within.

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston is a therapist, healer, advanced Sivananda Yoga teacher, and writer. His writings have been read by millions of people and can be found on Elephant Journal, Rebelle Society, and various other portals online. He has been teaching Yoga for 16 years in hotels, ashrams, beaches, gyms and rooftops worldwide. And he runs a busy international therapeutic practice from his home in rural Croatia. Offering sessions in person or via Skype, his therapeutic work is based on healing trauma, and the tools he uses for this are varied – mainly RPT, Shamanism, and energy work. He has also developed some of his own methods, particularly in the area of abuse trauma; ‘resource state’ awareness; and boundary reconstruction. He regularly runs retreats combining Yoga and other energetic exercises with his therapy. He would love nothing more than to see you on one of these retreats, since he believes that this approach to personal development is really the only effective way of bringing love and peace to global human society. Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his new website with integrated blog! Yes, he's excited about that :)

125 Responses to “Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?”

1. Jeanette Dunphy says:

Have just had my thyroid removed because of nodules presenting with possible cancer. I find this story very alarming!!!
    Fully trained medical professionals are the only people you should allow to treat you if you present with a serious medical condition.
    If I'd let it go, trying alternative healing, who knows where I would be in 6 months time. Dead or dying.

2. __MikeG__ says:

I agree with Jeanette, this is the kind of post that potentially can get people killed. There is a reason why people who sell this kind of magical thinking rely on personal testimony. Personal testimony is not proof. I have seen people who personally testified that they have been abducted by aliens and anally probed.

These kinds of claims always fall down when subjected to rigorous study. If Jeanette's precancerous thyroid modules really could have been healed by one session of talking then those kind of results can reliably be reproduced in a scientific study. As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". You only have half of that equation covered.

3. yogijulian says:

this is very irresponsible.

4. yogijulian says:

what happened to my two comments?!

5. Louise Brooks says:

Beware anecdotal stories of successful miraculous healing. Anecdotes are not science.

6. yogijulian says:

ben i wouldn't have commented here unless i liked you and respected your other posts – i think yo will find that chelsea, jeannette and mike feel the same.

we have all been very clear about what is alarming and potentially damaging and unethical about this – you have not taken it seriously.

at a certain point i started reflecting back that this was the typical hubris of someone fairly new to an alternative healing practice – i stand by this, and in time i think you may agree.

your statements about science, healing and whether or not certain diseases are serious are very cavalier and ungrounded.

no offense, i wish you only the best.

7. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hi Ben. I'd really like to hear more about your technique and how it was that you were able to heal this woman – it would have been interesting to know where you are coming from.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

8. elephantjournal says:

Ben, I've edited the title to sound less "advertorial"—which we just can't do on this site. It now reads: "Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?"

I thank you and Julian, Chelsea or having a strong yet respectful debate. Let's just make sure our motives are clear—to communicate and be of benefit (and if clients are magnetized to such, great) not to sell, first.

~ Waylon

9. __MikeG__ says:

Ben- The very definition of magical thinking is believing in magic. You are playing irresponsible games with peoples lives when you make them believe your medicine man theatrics have healed a real malady.

Once again I challenge you and the others who posted to submit claims of magical healing to submit those claims to critical scrutiny. No more unsubstantiated 2nd and third party anecdotes. No more raising straw man arguments when people challenge your magic. If your claims are true then this "technique" will prove itself to be verifiable, quantifiable and repeatable.

And to repeat:

Your claim is that one session of talking will heal physical conditions. Talking. Just talking. No advanced techniques such as throwing bones or howling at the moon are required. Just talking.

But let's be honest, this post was a thinly disguised marketing ploy to sell magical healing. Science is not an enemy of truth, but science is an enemy of ignorance and charlatans.

10. dave says:

Waylon, perhaps rather than censor or edit testimonial based healing stories , Elephant can publish a sidebar accompaniment which gives bullet point guidelines for assessing therapies and techniques based on multiple criteria such as transparency, reproducability, etc., so as to give readers more tools for evaluating information.

11. Jerry says:

Steve Jobs tried alternative medicine for his cancer and some claim it killed him by not getting early medical treatment. Not sure why Elephant allows this thinly disguised ad for his services. Can't find anything on the author's website that leads me to believe that this is some huckster trying to drum up business.

12. yogijulian says:

here's the source of all this. he gives me the creeps:

13. yogijulian says:

i am done – you haven't heard a word.

14. Ben_Ralston says:

A comment from Facebook:

Still Ninetyninepercent Vince:
    I'm baffled at how outraged or annoyed people are at this possiblity of healing??? If it works on people, great, let's celebrate that. Why would anyone have a method that works on a majority of clients yet keep it to themselves, just to make sure they don't 'annoy' the masses who can't seem to think beyond western answers? Acupuncture and massage have been around for thousands of years. Qigong and energy work, even longer. India has been using Tantric work, Prana breathing and releasing of the Kundalini for thousands of years that has worked on millions of people, yet it is 'irresponsible' to bring it up? I feel that a country that relies on remedies for illnesses based on PROFIT margin is much more offensive to bring up in mixed company.
    Healing oneself through means other than taking another cortizone shot or popping another antidepressant is a lot like gay marriage…if you don't like it, don't do it, but why tell everyone else how wrong they are as well?

I have a doctor in town who insists on meeting me, because I've kept over ten of his patients from having to get surgery. He doesn't want to meet me because he's outraged or annoyed, he wants to meet me because his role as a healer is to help others any way possible, and if seeing me means their not having to go through surgery and physical therapy, he's more than happy to embrace whatever is possible. This is where the bridges are gong to be made, when those who believe in only one way, are willing to embrace they may not be the ONLY way, and perhaps face whatever fear they have. Something tells me a lot of people in this world are 'outraged' and 'annoyed' that an entire civilization is willing to pop a pill or take a shot, rather than find the TRUE reason for the illness and take care of the ACTUAL problem. If you really think about how we handle medical issues in this country, is fairly baffling…and pretty ridiculous. Yes Vince, this is it. Fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of change, fear of taking responsibility for their own power, fear of finding out that their social conditioning may just have been all wrong, and now they have to rethink. Or just think! ~ Ben Ralston

15. Valerie Carruthers says:

It's not like you're out there alone, Ben, even if you're being singled out for your views. The capacity and potential for dramatic healing within the bodymind complex have been documented and discussed by such leaders in holistic health as Carolynn Myss and Dr. Andrew Weil. Without the work of Ms. Myss and her former partner Dr. Norm Shealy, the formalized practice of medical intuition would not have come into being. Dr. Weil has written of dramatic transformations in his bestselling book "Spontaneous Healing," which is based on the concept of the body's innate healing abilities that can work, in his view, regardless of whether there is an outside stimulus. He also discusses how because of the ways that allopathic medicine is taught and practiced that the "healing model" vs the "treatment model" faces so many challenges in our society. That's why, in a nutshell, your claims about RPT are regarded as too good to be true.

Whether RPT is the healing powerhouse you purport only time will tell.

16. Sarah says:

"Sometimes people accuse me of narcissistic self-promotion, self-aggrandizement, and writing that reads like advertising." Your BS is so busted

17. Jade Doherty says:

Oh my! I’ve rewritten this comment so many times trying to properly articulate everything.

Ben, I do think it sounds a bit advert-y and that using words like ‘miraculous’ is a bit emotive, but at the same time, so what? If what you’re talking about works and has a transformative impact on people’s lives clearing issues that they hadn’t been able to clear, then I don’t see what the problem is.

This is kind of difficult because the argument doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. On the one hand there are people who are sceptical of what you’ve written and (as far as I can tell; correct me if I’m wrong) haven’t worked with this modality before, and someone who teaches it, is very involved in it and thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread, meaning that the argument is just going round in a ‘yes-no-yes-no’ circle.

And whilst I totally believe that what you’re saying is possible and have experienced huge shifts of awareness and changes from working with healers I'm most definitely a believer , having not worked with you I’m not in a position to make an educated and informed comment or criticisms of what you’re saying you can do, but equally feel like I just have to take your word for it as I have no way of knowing if it’s true, though I could book a session to satisfy my curiosity. This makes it difficult for an informed debate to occur as neither side can get through to the other.

What you write, for me, comes across as being a bit self promotional when you say things like ‘it’s about this wonderful, miraculous therapy that actually works’. The ‘actually’ makes it sound like ‘all others don’t work, but this one actually does’, but equally your use of words doesn’t negate what you do and it would be unfair to judge a healing modality on how you write about it.

Also, it would be great if other people shared their experiences of healing, as practitioners or clients, as healing is, in my opinion, an under represented topic on EJ.

18. samian says:

It’s a shame that Elephant lacks standards to allow garbage like this to be posted. It really taints the other posts and writers. Seems like the editors fell asleep on this one.

19. Petra says:

Wooow Ben, great job! I see and feel that you have triggered a lot of negative emotions in people. It makes me a bit sad, that people don't see that you are just a mirror for their own frustrations, fears, doubts maybe jealousy or envy??…
    I KNOW that you do a great job and I'm HAPPY that you spread the word of your work and RPT. The world needs it more than ever…

Someone wise once said:
    “if you are really effective at what you do, 95% of the things said about you will be negative. Keep your head on straight, don’t get emotional, take the heat, and just make sure your clients are smiling.”
    And another wise man, Einstein said:
    ""The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

love Petra

20. lovepaintingrainbows says:

This is only dangerous if you are living in fear. I have personally witnessed several people be cured of serious illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, and colon disease. I agree that there is a time and place for doctors, surgery, and medicine. However, so many of us (especially in the Western World) have forgotten, like he said, who we really are. Deep down beyond the soul lives The Spirit. We can access that Spirit and do miraculous things, which in reality shouldn't be that miraculous. Jesus came to teach that, as did many other prophets. When fear is driving anyone, Love cannot do it's job. Release the fear and you will experience Love like you never have before. It is hard sometimes, but just try to find the divinity in every single person you come across. Even the ones who make you so mad or hurt or sad. That is real Love. And it will set you free.

21. Jeff Krouk says:

"A third function of Iodine in the human body relates to clear thinking. The mind simply works better when the body is supplied the iodine it needs."
    The Usefulness of Iodine by Dr. D. C. Jarvis

22. Priscilla Wood says:

So much fear in these comments. When it comes to energy I try to keep an open mind and let it to its job. It may not be the conventional way we do things but it could be the gateway to find real healing from the inside. I think most diseases/disorders are symptoms of deeper issues, they only happen to manifest in our physical body so why so judgmental?

23. Judy says:

Where's Bob?

24. Ben_Ralston says:

Nice comment Alli, but actually I do have a choice. I don't have to defend myself, as you'll see from many of the most negative and reactionary comments above – I choose just to ignore them, because they're not worthy of my time.

I chose to enter into a debate with Julian, and to an extent Mike, but when it became clear that they were only interested in branding everything I said as 'magical thinking', (whilst simultaneously accusing me of not listening to them!!) then I also chose to opt out of that one too. And I let them have the last word, which seemed to be important to them.

There is so much ego at play here. And often the people who call themselves 'yogis', and who work in the world of healing, are the most egotistical. It's a dangerous trap – you stand in front of people and are immediately in a position of power. Dangerous because, it's not your power. It's the power of the person standing in front of you, and you are stealing it from them.

My work is about the opposite though: empowering others. I don't see other people as vulnerable, I see them as pure potential. And I see my work as simply allowing that potential to burst forth, by releasing the subconscious blockages caused by trauma. It's a very beautiful, fulfilling, and enlightening work, and that's my only motivation really. And that's part of what's alive inside of me.

Thanks for asking interesting questions 😉

25. Peter says:

Fake therapies like RPT crop up every couple of years until they are closed down by lack of business when people realize what a bunch of BS is involved or forced to by authorities. What is bad is that it preys on people who are in danger and distracts them from getting proven treatment. I wonder how long before we get a Scientologist infomercial such as this

26. yogijulian says:

the next level: stop and think.

27. […] ago I and several other EJ contributors were concerned about an article in which it seemed like Ben Ralston was claiming to be able to cure serious medical conditions (in this case a severe long term thyroid imbalance and depression) with a therapy he has learned […]

28. Yogatchr says:

Claims of emotional healing are one thing. You crossed the line when you got to the thyroid part though. This is dangerous and possibly even fraudulent. http:[email protected]

I am not trying to say you are not a nice guy with lots of enthusiasm, I am saying there is a tremendous responsibility for burden of proof when it comes to healing claims and you really should proceed with the utmost caution for your own good and those you want to serve.

29. michelle says:

Wow, Ben. I just watched your video interview about RPT. I find you refreshing because you are matter of fact and straightforward about who you are; you don't try to come across as some spectacular person with special powers and for the cool price of this many Euros you can acheive enlightenment. You are approachable and respectful; you come from a place on the same level as all of us as spiritual beings contributing to the same consciousness. Your healing is simply a sharing to help those actualize what we are all deserving of. I feel sorry for those who feel the need to attack you based on your enthusiasm for seeing someone experience healing because it seems to me they are experiencing some self limiting thinking. You haven't taken credit for curing someone of their thyroid disease; you are merely pointing out that miraculously enough this person did experience a complete turn around in their health. I believe in miracles and if others would be open to this possibility they might see some miracles too. I would love to meet you and your wife one day, I hope to attend one of your retreats in the future! Cheers, M