December 1 – reverb11 – Palabra (Word)

Via on Dec 1, 2011

Show up. Step on the mat, sit at the desk, execute yoga poses and breathe consciously. Write words on the page and keep breathing consciously. By doing so, you automatically shape time. You have chosen to make time for creative expression. You have prioritized yoga and writing above all else, for the duration. This is a gift to your best self.

If you get, give. If you learn, teach. ~Maya Angelou

Learn more about reverb11.

Read my response to today’s prompt.

About Michelle Margaret Fajkus

Michelle Margaret Fajkus ("fake-us") is a proponent of natural, lifelong learning through yoga, mindfulness, living, loving and letting go. An avid reader, writer and blogger, she's a longtime lover of words and languages, especially English and Spanish. Today, Michelle is a 34-year-old expat from Austin living at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala with her life partner, daughter and black cat. Michelle is the founder of Yoga Freedom. She learned yoga from a book at age 12 and found Buddha in California at 23. She's written over 250 posts about mindful living on elephant journal since 2010. Her writing also appears on Rebelle Society, Be You Media Group and her blog, Daily Life Practice. Read her memoir, chakra guide or (free!) beginners guide to mindfulness and yoga here, or come on down to Guatemala for a retreat! Connect with Michelle on Google+ or Facebook.

547 views

18 Responses to “December 1 – reverb11 – Palabra (Word)”

1. Michelle Margaret Fajkus yoga freedom says:

2011 was saturated with intention.

My word for 2012 is MOVEMENT. Movimiento. The act or process of moving; especially change of place or position or posture. A tactical or strategic shifting. A series of organized activities working toward an objective. The vibrant quality in literature that comes from elements that hold a reader’s interest. Voiding the bowels. Movement.

Plates are shifting. Energy is in constant motion. I will relocate to the other side of the planet in 2012. I am going to leave Guatemala City and settle in another international city, to be determined, though most likely in the Eastern hemisphere. But no matter where I am, I will continue to devote myself to The Movement: practicing, modeling, spreading, facilitating, teaching, and sharing yoga, creativity & mindfulness! Let’s get moving!

2. Shawna Turner Shawna says:

This is great! I'm in!

3. Valerie Carruthers Valerie Carruthers says:

Tired-wired as I am, here goes. My 2011 word is Shedding. Some major aspects of my life have been shed out of my desire to shift into aspects of myself that have been denied air and light for too long.

My 2012 word is EXPANSION. To grow into my truth as a writer as I listen more and more to what my heart needs to say. And to see what forms and places teaching Yoga takes me to. I have already ended a ten year period of teaching regular classes locally and have begun teaching workshops that empower through Yoga and Art. in new locations. Who knows where this will take me next year? Expansion encompasses discovery.

4. Loren says:

My 2011 word is Change. I started the year frantically employed and have ended it peacefully unemployed, the number of changes in me and my world required to get to peaceful have been many. I have not always had a good view of change and still rebel against it more often than not, but to evolve we must change.
    My 2012 word is Acceptance. Acceptance is at the centre of the understanding and exploration of self, it permeates relations with others and is key in the attempt to reduce judgement. I wish to enter 2012 with an open heart and acceptance of what that brings.

5. Doe says:

Grief: So much was lost, but it wasn't just about the loss, there was also growth, moving forward, finding peace. That's the way grief goes, you are there but hopefully not stuck there, and then it just becomes apart of you but it is no longer suffocating.

2012 will be breathe. Meditating more, breathing freely, exercising the breath, pranayama, reflection..to me all of these are present in the breath, so I will Breathe into 2012.

6. shannon says:

My word for 2011 is "present." I reflected and worked on a lot of things in 2010, and this year I feel like I truly stayed present. Through work, communication, a wedding, the birth of my sister's daughter, fears, questions, and just the little simple moments in between, I was there. Not just standing around…I was in that moment fully. I like that. I have so many vivid colorful memories.
    2012 word is settle. Not as in settle for anything but settle down. Settle in. I want to make decisions and stick with them. Choose a new place to live, settle in. I want to find a rhythm and settle into the beat.

7. shayne says:

ALLOW: This year began with ones, 1/1/11; that was the first day, and each day since has been the first day. Allowing each day to offer up what it will has brought change, invited but not coerced, welcomed despite the uncertainty that it always brings as its guest. There is always more space to be found, always another door to open.

UNFOLD: Next is continuing to open. Opening ideas like fortune cookies and unfolding the wisdom within. Unfolding the mental blueprint and checking for truth like an engineer checking for structural integrity. Actions unfolding like a windhorse unfurled in the breeze, setting intention in motion.

8. Michelle Margaret Fajkus yoga freedom says:

Grief and breathe. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing and reverbing with us, Doe!

9. [...] and essential qualities of your tribe? December 1 – Palabra (Word) Encapsulate your 2011 in one word. Why that word? What would you like your word to be for 2012? Why? Michelle Fajkus is the [...]

10. Colleen Nguyen Colleen says:

I am behind but better late than never! I reviewed the word I chose for 2011 a year ago – balance – and I chose my word for 2012: http://www.downwardfacingdem.com/2011/12/discipli

11. Michelle Margaret Fajkus yoga freedom says:

Nice metaphor! Enjoy the valley. I'm confident that your 2012 word will arise at just the right moment…

12. Michelle Margaret Fajkus yoga freedom says:

Awaken and empower — powerful words. Thanks for sharing your story, Lynn!