December 4 – reverb11 – Guru (Teacher)

Via on Dec 4, 2011
Photo: Wonderlane

What was the most important lesson you learned about yourself in 2011? Was it a sudden epiphany or a gradual realization?

About Michelle Margaret Fajkus

Michelle Margaret Fajkus is an open book with an open heart. A writer, poet, artist, dreamer, partner, mother, daughter, mentor, and above all a human and a friend. She has been an elephant journal columnist since 2010. Hailing from Austin, Texas, she now lives in Guatemala.

Michelle is the author of a memoir, Yoga Schmoga, as well as a chakra guide, Flow and Flower and, most recently, Be Free, a collection of heart opening daily life practices. She is the founder of Yoga Freedom and co-creator of EnlightenEd, as well as retreat manager for Villa Sumaya at Lake Atitlán.

12 Responses to “December 4 – reverb11 – Guru (Teacher)”

1. Valerie Carruthers Valerie Carruthers says:

It's been a little of both. A few months ago while studying some of Krishnamacharya's teachings, I had an epiphany that took me to another place as a student and as a teacher. The experience continues to evolve and it may take some time to formulate completely but for now I'll say it's deeply related to a sense of truly connecting to the Teacher within.

• Michelle Margaret Fajkus yoga freedom says:

Interesting, Valerie. Connecting to the Teacher within is always a blessing. Your comment reminds me of how I was deeply (gradually) affected by the teachings of Krishnamurti, another great Indian philosopher. Thanks for reverbing!

2. Yikes! I am now 2 days behind in my Reverbing! Will try & catch up:

My most important lesson this year has been that I am stronger than I realized. It was a gradual thing, but then there was definitely an epiphany moment somewhere between "I can't do this" and "Hell yeah, I can do this! Just watch me!"

3. Craig Holliday craigholliday says:

That there is such a freedom within, that this freedom is always here, and that my mind is dualistic, divisive and cuts the world into pieces. and that freedom comes from giving ourselves to hugeness within.

4. Michelle Margaret Fajkus yoga freedom says:

I had to ponder on this one. I learned nothing and everything. I realized, above all, that I have faith in not knowing. I take refuge in doubt. I live in questions. I till the soil of fertile confusion. I explore paradox. I trust the sun and the moon and my breath and my heart. My gut is my guru. This moment is a wonderful moment. And life is beautiful.

5. Loren says:

The most important lesson for me was that I CAN forgive. For so long I have understood forgiveness, I have wanted to feel it in my heart, but it just never made that journey down from my head and in to my heart. This year it happened and old wounds I had all but given up on have begun to heal. Its a cliche, but true, time does heal, it just takes some of us a lot longer than others. Forgiveness is a kind of release, it allows those old holding patterns to let go and for new energy to fill those spaces, I am not sorry it took so long, everything happens when it is supposed to.

6. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

GREAT question!

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

7. Michelle Margaret Fajkus yoga freedom says:

Thanks for reverbing, Lynn! Great lessons. Writing is so therapeutic and cathartic, I agree!