December 8 – reverb11 – Dharma (The Path)

Via on Dec 8, 2011
wanderer
Photo: Cornelia Kopp

Wandering can be good for the over-focused creative. How did you wander well this year?

Mil Gracias to Jeffrey Davis of Yoga as Muse for providing today’s prompt.
m
WANDER – 1 : to move around or go to different places usually without having a particular purpose or direction ▪ 2 : to follow a path with many turns ▪ 3 : to go away from a path, course, etc.
~
m
I wandered far and wide. I let go of checklists and listened to my own inner rhythms. Whether I was still or in motion, sitting in my room or meditating on the passing scenery as I sat serenely on a bus, train or plane, I wandered and wondered.
m
Here’s a poem I wrote during Reverb10 and lived by as well as I could this past year:m

Wonder is
living in questions.
How can I unfold?
What if I don’t grasp?
What if it doesn’t matter what happens?
Who is my best self, after all?
What is my intention for this day?

No plans, no goals.
Openness. Honesty.
Can I stay open?
Can I let my heart keep shining?
How do I practice metta + mindfulness?
What is life but motion from moment to moment?

mmm

“We have to do our best and at the same time give up all hope of fruition.” -Pema Chödrön

Desktop/Tablet banner

About Michelle Margaret Fajkus

Michelle Margaret Fajkus ("fake-us") is a proponent of natural, lifelong learning through yoga, mindfulness, living, loving and letting go. An avid reader, writer and blogger, she's a longtime lover of words and languages, especially English and Spanish. Today, Michelle is a 34-year-old expat from Austin living at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala with her life partner, daughter and black cat. Michelle is the founder of Yoga Freedom. She learned yoga from a book at age 12 and found Buddha in California at 23. She's written over 250 posts about mindful living on elephant journal since 2010. Her writing also appears on Rebelle Society, Be You Media Group and her blog, Daily Life Practice. Read her memoir, chakra guide or (free!) beginners guide to mindfulness and yoga here, or come on down to Guatemala for a retreat! Connect with Michelle on Google+ or Facebook.

236 views

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

7 Responses to “December 8 – reverb11 – Dharma (The Path)”

1. Valerie Carruthers Valerie Carruthers says:

Wandering for me is about cultivating intuition. My hometown of New York City being a walker's paradise, I used to love walking on side streets, letting my nose lead me to discover some unique bakery or bookstore. I never had to travel really far to have sensory adventures like those.

These days, living in a far smaller community in Florida, my intuition guides me to a certain shopping center, supermarket or post office where almost inevitably I will cross paths with a friend or student from years past.

And when I return to center, to focusing in on the creative, my mind is ready for the journey within, to meander the nooks and crannies of my mind.

2. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

3. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage. Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook.

4. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

5. learningcurvesblog says:

Wander…something my mind seems to enjoy doing…often and to the point of becoming a distraction and causing much procrastination. I see this in my blog as it had wandered from being about my struggles to slightly "foodie" to "all things runner" and now back to what I hope is my intention. It's all a part of my own learning curve.
    But I also see this quality in other areas of my life…this desire to wander or to take the path less traveled. Whether hiking, biking, running or driving I have happened upon some of the most beautiful scenery, best restaurants and unique individuals by simply being inquisitive and open to wandering.
    I wander a lot and I wander well because,for me, it all leads to learning about and experiencing things I may never have had a chance to should I have played it safe.

“Never did I think so much, exist so vividly, and experience so much, never have I been so much myself – if I may use that expression – as in the journeys I have taken alone and on foot.” ~ JEAN-JACQUESROUSSEAU

6. Loren says:

I have wandered though new experiences this year. Each of them has taught me something valuable and I finally understand that the journey is the destination. I have also travelled to Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, England, Australia, New Zealand and around South Africa. As an ex-pat New Zealander living in Cape Town, South Africa it was particularly interesting to spend time in NZ this year. My friend and I rented a camper-van and wandered, we had no real destination, we went from place to place as the fancy took us. Meeting people from my homeland and talking to them (I have lived abroad for 17 years now) I learned so much about how the country I grew up in formed aspects of my baseline assumptions and personality. Certain attitudes and outlooks are more of a national identity than just mine. I have also adopted certain traits from my time in other countries. The rest is me. Wandering through NZ provided insight and joy.