Remember when you were a kid. When you did something that you instantly knew you could do better (kick a ball, do a cartwheel, dive into a pool), you would instantly say, “Do-over.” Sometimes your friends, if they were cool, would accept this and let you do it again, and sometimes they wouldn’t (and chances are, you are not friends with those people on Facebook).
How cool is it that as adults we have the same thing? It’s called a New Year’s Resolution. There is a magical day every year, January 1st, that we can say, ok, starting today, things are going to be better… Relationships, career, health, we can be as creative as we want with the changes we want to make in our life, and it can be anything.
“Do-over.” Think back again to when you were a kid and your friends offered you a do-over. Did you ever waste that opportunity? Chances are, no way. So, why waste it now? Let’s take advantage of this opportunity to make some serious resolutions this year, and better yet, actually achieve them.
Let’s not just say Happy New Year this year. Let’s actually mean it.
Here are some ideas to get you started. In 2012, I will …
- Travel to a place I have never been before. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neal Donald Walsch
- Find more balance in my life.
- Be more accepting of others. “Be curious, not judgmental”. Walt Whitman
- Smile more. “Renew someone’s faith in mankind. Smile at them.”
- Stop caring what other people think. “The opinion which other people have of you is their problem, not yours.” – Elisabeth Kubler Ross (Remember, as much as we think the world revolves around us, people don’t really care/talk about us as much as we think they do. Sorry.)
- Find a career that allows me to do what I love to do. “The work you do while you procrastinate, is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life.” – Jessica Hische.
- Spend less time on Facebook and more time outside.
- Dance more.
- Stay in better touch with my family & friends.
- For the first time, successfully achieve my New Year’s Resolutions…and support my friends and family to do the same.
Happy New Year!
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 569 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,560 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 906 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 7,142 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 714 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 6,118 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,387 share