10 Reasons Why I Deleted my Facebook Account.

Via on Jan 31, 2012

Today I permanently deleted my Facebook account.

I have enjoyed Facebook since 2008, and have been able to reconnect with a few good friends because of it. I once considered myself a fan.

It sounds silly, caring about a social network, someone’s company…but the fact is, it’s become a basic part of millions of lives, as basic as, say, cars and bikes…but I’m not a fan anymore. I have come to view Facebook as an insidious addition to my daily existence, one that has been sucking my lifeblood, drop by precious drop.

The following is a list of 10 reasons why I deleted my Facebook account:

#1 Facebook’s new layout sucks.

I’m glad it’s coming around, though, otherwise I might still be on Facebook. I find the timeline unnecessarily complicated; there is way too much going on at once. I prefer a simple interface. Perhaps, over time, my brain might get used to what I perceive now to be an intrusion, but I find the new layout so distastefully image-centered that I refuse to find out. It’s like watching a commercial of myself. In addition, the idea of delving into the past makes me uncomfortable. Let the past die, I say. There is simply no need to revisit things I said or did last year. Last year was not a good year. Likewise, I’m not interested in what my friends did or said in the past.  I’m interested in now.

#2 I don’t want to hear about someone’s illness or death via Facebook.

Jeez, I don’t want to find out via Facebook that one of my friends is seriously ill or has died.  And I sure as hell don’t want to read the condolences that people will inevitably write on his wall after the fact. I don’t mean to offend people who have done this, or who have taken comfort from doing this, but it’s not for me. I find the whole business bizarre and unsettling. If I died unexpectedly, I would find it ridiculous that people were writing on my Facebook wall. The whole Facebook and death thing is only going to get worse and weirder the more friends I amass.

#3 There is a dearth of insightful interaction on Facebook.

As a once avid Facebook user, I tried to foster meaningful discussions about political or interpersonal topics. These discussions were fun at times, like cocktail party chatter is fun, but they rarely gave me any insight into anything. I longed for these people to be in a room with me with hands waving and passions flaring where they could really let loose. But I kept imagining this nebulous periphery of casual aquaintances sitting in silent judgment of our musings and pontifications, and that freaked me out.

I was continually striving to make Facebook deeper than it was, and I think, fundamentally, that was the roadblock I couldn’t circumnavigate. Even though I delighted in crafting clever status updates and witty retorts, these were not deeply satisfying activities. I found myself craving more profound and actual interactions with my friends, ideas, art, and the like.

For example, I recently visited the Art Institute of Chicago, where I had an amazing time staring at its impressive Monet collection. The effort itself brought me a new kind of pleasure, a subtle and penetrating pleasure. I realized that to see the paintings truly, I had to look at them for a long time and from a distance. I stared at them for almost an hour, and in the process, they became alive and magical to me. There is so much to see within one single painting. And I have since realized that the pleasures that Facebook proffers pale in comparison…wait, what?! Facebook pales in comparison to Monet? I  know, it may seem like an obvious and trite observation, but it’s the simplest things that we tend to miss in our hurry to update our Facebook statuses. To me, this type of attentive interaction is the essence of yoga. Yoga is the ability to maintain an unbroken and profound union with life, with the universe, and with our deepest selves. Facebook can never give me the type of connection I long for with anyone or anything, let alone my deepest Self.

#4 I have ingested too many meaningless things on Facebook.

We are each responsible for what we let through our doors of perception. I no longer want to be careless about the things I allow past that threshold, and there is a glut of useless crap on Facebook. These stupid things get stuck in my brain all the time, and enough is enough. I don’t want to see your Crossfit motivational poster one more time or hear about your kid’s dumb social studies project or read about your crappy lunch. I simply don’t want to let everything in anymore. Even the good stuff on Facebook is not good enough. For instance, I have a friend who regularly posts about Rumi. It’s great. I’d much rather come across her posts than bad photos of someone’s Disney Land vacation or updates about dropped off kids. Nevertheless, even better than reading excerpts from Rumi, is taking my own book of Rumi poems off the shelf and reading one entire poem well. That is the deeper experience, and the one I would like to choose more consistently.

#5 Political action on Facebook is useless.

One of the reasons I enjoyed Facebook was the exchange of political articles and ideas. Initially—naively—I thought I could help affect political change via Facebook, but simply clicking and typing is a waste of time unless there is concrete human action behind it such as a phone call, a letter, or a protest attendance. Furthermore, political passions get watered down on Facebook by snarky, cutesy posts. These posts are cute and often funny, but they don’t do anything to foster actual change. There is no shortcut to live political action. None of my posts or well-intentioned political discourse achieved anything significant.

#6 Facebook offers even more distraction for my distraction-prone mind.

In this age of distractions, I scarcely need another one. Facebook consistently broke my concentration, and I began to resent it. I realized when it was happening, but I simply did not have the discipline to keep myself off it until my work was done. I found myself unconsciously logging on to Facebook throughout the day. That’s how addiction operates. Somehow you end up with that drink in your hand or the pipe in your mouth.

#7 With Facebook, there is less time to manifest my heart’s sincere desires.

There are many things I want to accomplish before I die; some of these I haven’t even discovered yet. And the more time I spend on Facebook, the less time I have to do them. That is a very simple fact. It’s not like these things have to be monumental accomplishments. They could be as simple as writing an essay, taking a class, reading a book, or cooking a dish I’ve always wanted to try. Nothing I do on Facebook could ever be as fulfilling as what I can do in real life.

#8 I don’t need to keep in touch with every person I know via Facebook.

If I see someone’s photos or status updates, it makes me think I know what’s going on with that person, and it quells my desire for deeper communication. However, if I have not heard anything from someone I care about in a long time, I might be more prone to write her an email or perhaps even a handwritten letter. Keeping in touch with people should be an organic process and not like amassing matchbooks from restaurants. Some people are meant to be in our lives only for a short time, while others stick around longer. Either way, we’re all going to kick the bucket and lose touch eventually.

#9 Facebook was making my ego bigger.

I am not an ego-vilifier. I believe the ego has a value, to a certain degree. It’s an excellent and necessary tool. Nevertheless, I’m striving to see myself as more than my body and my “likes.” The more I stay on Facebook, the more I see myself as only “Sunita Pillay.” I have gotten disturbingly attached to my opinions and photos of myself, but this preoccupation with image is bullshit. I want to work on expanding the radius of my Self—capital ‘S’ intended—beyond my ego.

#10 Mystery is a beautiful thing.

Once upon a time I liked to imagine what the people I used to know were currently doing, but Facebook has revealed that mystery to me, and I have to say, my imaginings were in many ways more entertaining. Likewise, I don’t want my life and musings to be a click away anymore. I’d much rather be a wonder away. As in, “I wonder what ever happened to Sunita…”

About S.V. Pillay

S.V. Pillay is a former high school English teacher and current freelance writer in the great city of Chicago. She enjoys writing about religion, spirituality, art, endangered species, the environment, and social justice. She is American by birth (want to see her birth certificate?), South Indian by DNA, a student of yoga, and a proud Generation X’er. She prefers interactions with real human beings as opposed to social networking. And although she owns her share of MP3s, she still listens to records, tapes, and Cds. S.V. Pillay is currently working on her debut novel, a book of poetry, and a bunch of short stories. Click here to follow her on Twitter. Click here to read more stuff.

106 Responses to “10 Reasons Why I Deleted my Facebook Account.”

1. Donovan Moore says:

Very good observations. Perhaps I may do the same. But what about my 1061 friends. Won't they miss me :)

• Sunita Pillay says:

Thanks for reading, Donovan. And yes, they'll miss you, but they'll get over it after a few clicks. :) You can get the email addresses of people you really want to keep in touch with..?

• Nick says:

Oh yes, I'm sure your 1061 "friends" will really miss you…. if they ever even notice you're gone.

2. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Thanks for sharing, Sunita, but I will miss you there!

3. Vision_Quest2 says:

For someone who learned SO MUCH by reading Facebook feeds, I am now one of the most disappointed with Facebook. Sometimes, you could be defriended on a whim if other FB members are dogmatic and disagree with you …

I do want a place where there is interaction, since my life is fast and isolating. There are SO many social networks to choose from … I will just stay off of Facebook … I was invited to join Diaspora* …

• Sunita Pillay says:

I'm not suggesting everyone has to leave Facebook, but it was the right choice for me. Maybe there is a way for you to do more social activities, instead of virtual ones? Just a thought. Thanks for reading!

4. Well done, Sunita! Every day I tell myself I will limit my time on social media but … ugh! I, too, have so many things I dream of becoming and accomplishing. I do find Facebook is a great way to share my writing. However, I wonder: Are people clicking like as a way to just say hi I was here or hope that I click like on something they posted? Or is it because they thought it looked interesting because of the headline and/or picture? Or… did they sit there for 3-5 minutes actually reading what I wrote? A quandry!!! I admit I have a problem and, reading your post, helped me get back in touch with that. LOL. Yet, not really so funny.

• Sunita Pillay says:

Thanks, Lynn! I know all too well how you feel. My goal was simply to offer food for thought. That said, let's grab brunch one of these days. It would be fun to reconnect with you in person. :)

5. Chandrika Farrell says:

Well said my friend, I like #6(can totally relate). Will miss ya on fb. but look forward to meeting up with you sometime in person!

6. Valerie Carruthers ValCarruthers says:

Agree with you about Timeline, Sunita. Being confronted by those ginormous banner images pixelating into focus on my laptop makes my head want to explode.

May your departure from FB better enable the pursuits you have yet to envision.

7. Suri says:

Couldnt agree more i deleted mine a couple of months ago ….i was so tired of all the nonsense and irrelevant BS people post …and like you said Revisiting the past is creepy .

8. Hector says:

"9) Facebook was making my ego bigger.

I am not an ego-vilifier. I believe the ego has a value, to a certain degree. It’s an excellent and necessary tool. Nevertheless, I’m striving to see myself as more than my body and my “likes.” The more I stay on Facebook, the more I see myself as only “Sunita Pillay.” I have gotten disturbingly attached to my opinions and photos of myself, but this preoccupation with image is bullshit. I want to work on expanding the radius of my Self—capital ‘S’ intended—beyond my ego."

This happened to my wife.
    I kept pushing her to get on Facebook and it was the biggest mistake I ever made.

She STILL uses it to make her ego bigger while she is pretending to be spiritual (while I actually attempt to teach people how NOT to do this with mine.)

For proof, just look here: http://tinyurl.com/shewhoshallnotbenamed

I will admit I will always regret this mistake, after being able to read the journals left behind by her and learn she is a narcissist.

I see more and more yoga fanatics on Facebook whom have lost the way and do not understand the first thing that is the common sense that is the 8 limbs of yoga.

Due to her, I made it my mission to take my 20 years of life in buddhism and attempt to have others understand they are not on the path, yet they can be, if they were honest with themselves…..

• Vision_Quest2 says:

All those yoga asana poseurs and braggarts are on my current blogsite, too, Facebook already being old hat–they put their entire practices and "instruction" prescriptions I disagree with … Sometimes you can't do too much about all that, but ignore them. The worst that could happen is they defriend you. If I'm long gone from Facebook, would I care? [I currently post v-logs of myself to my blogsite, but all I do is talk about nutrition.]

• Sunita Pillay says:

Hi Hector, that's too bad about you and your wife. (Ironically your link takes me to Facebook : ) Personally, it is not my mission to make others do anything or change anything about themselves. I believe that's a losing game, brother. They are who they are. The only person I can change is me, ultimately. If others come along for the ride, cool, but that was not my intention in writing this piece. Anyway, thanks so much for reading the piece and sharing your heart. Peace to you, Sunita

9. Jeanette Dunphy says:

Good on you for moving beyond FB. For me though, it's been a boon. I use FB to network with other Astronomers around the globe. It's given me opportunities I never would have had opened to me otherwise. I relish getting my science as it happens, from the source, before the media stir in their sensationalist garbage.

• Sunita Pillay says:

Now that's a cool reason to be on Facebook, Jeanette! Alas, I had no such cool reasons. :) Thanks for reading the piece and sharing your thoughts. -Sunita

10. Hector says:

That having been said, also, due to her, and her stealing every penny we had from me while also ensuring I would be unemployed from my secure and well paying position due to her actions, Facebook is my only interaction to the world until I can actually afford to use my passport to travel again.

Not everyone has the luxury (or funds) to just pick up and go at a moment's notice (something also seeming o have been forgotten by the current "trust fund spiritualists") and, let's face it, Facebook is all we got.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Agreed! I am isolated because of my lengthy commute, lack of bankers' hours and support of inveterate traveler boss who could be a contender for the most-traveled CEO (the Guinness holder actually is from Silicon Valley, and not MY boss but you get my drift) – thus obviating my ability to take time off. I have to keep Facebook account because immediate family is on it.

But Timeline turns my stomach, and I will be on some other social network including Diaspora and SparkPeople (even if I succeed in losing my regained weight), checking in from time to time to see how FB f*ks my profile up …

Not what was imagined by the planners, huh?

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Incidentally, there are alternatives to social networking that, essentially, serve the same purposes … such as OnSugar network and any blog with a large, large following …

• Sunita Pillay says:

I understand your need for connection after everything you've gone through. Circumstances will change; life will get better. It's the nature of things. Keep your chin up.

11. Thank you for the article, I have been considering doing the same thing for some time now.

12. elephantjournal says:

As Facebook values itself at 100 million [correction: 100, er, billion!] (what, 8 times what Apple is worth—Apple makes muuuch more money), some spiritual types opt out. I read the reasons, can't say I'm convinced. Meditation and the spiritual path isn't about navel gazing or avoiding distraction, it's about using the phenomenal world to wake up so we can better be of benefit. Still, a timely post, whatever our view.

#
    Philippine Yogi i thought it was 100 Billion? elephantjournal.com

#
    Tina Neidig totally agree "it's about using the phenomenal world to wake up so we can better be of benefit."

#
    Hippie Cupps I am not convinced either, facebook is what you make of it, and if you don't like what someone has posted or something you are reading then either don't read it or delete it. i have gained alot of insight on here and met alot of great people , and found alot of places to go, places to support, found where the best local foods are etc. so to me it has been a good thing, its all how you percieve things and how you decide to have your page. Just one user's opinion!

#
    Harleigh Quinn ‎"9) Facebook was making my ego bigger.

This happened to my wife.

For proof, just look here: http://tinyurl.com/shewhoshallnotbenamed

#
    elephantjournal.com Award for record-long comment HC! I'll move to the blog.

Phillipine, good call, huge typo, my bad! ~ Waylon.

13. Ross says:

Brilliant article, some great observations which I share. I have 120ish friends (once 600+, many of whom I’d never met!) and I think they should all read this.

14. Lucy says:

I agree with some of the things she said and I respect her decision. However, in my opinion, the most important thing is that we are AWARE of some of the negative things that facebook have. If we are aware that facebook is making our ego bigger and wasting our time instead of doing something that is more useful, then using that awareness we can learn how to gain control of ourselves. Some of the things in life we can't just delete or avoid, if deleting and avoiding become your pattern in life then you are not living.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Not 100% true. Depends on what you need and where your incentives lie. For instance, I certainly have much more incentive to avoid Facebook than someone who telecommutes, has a cottage profession or does not report to any job at all …

Avoiding Facebook helps me keep my job, in a better way …

• Sunita Pillay says:

Hi Lucy, for me FB became addictive and toxic, and when you have an addiction you have to cut it off at the roots. In this case, there was no way to live with moderation. But in general, I appreciate your viewpoint. Thanks for reading! -Sunita

15. I respect your decision Sunita, however it is nothing wrong with facebook.
    Manage your time and select the info/activities that you want to share. Make it simple

• Sunita Pillay says:

Easier said than done, Falatehan. For me, there was plenty wrong with Facebook, thus the article. Moderation works for some people regarding FB, but not for me. Thanks for reading! -Sunita

16. Sunita Pillay says:

Yeah, the new layout is such a bad idea. I don't understand the logic behind making something more complex. Thanks for reading, Suri! -Sunita

17. so I'm not really "trying" to snarky — but the thought I had was this…so am I expected to share this on facebook? and does reaching people with this via facebook make this a mute point?

I respect your decision to leave and even understand why you did to a point but i'm always a bit fascinated by people denouncing the very thing that is promoting them? Like a tv show talking about the evils of tv…it seems a bit odd is all.

PS I love time line — I love seeing my friends pictures I love knowing what their life has been as well as what it is…ignoring the past doesn't mean you are living more in the now necessarily — the past did happen and we can learn from it and grow.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

And, assuming one is relatively young, possibly college-educated and/or a reformed debauched partier, etc. but involved in the competitive straight-job marketplace, Timeline will be sure to enrich reputation management specialists' coffers …

• jagme says:

moot point

18. Yogi says:

I respect your decision as well. But as a freelance writer, I'd imagine FB is a conduit to disseminate your information. I will not be sharing this to my couple thousand friends of FB because the irony would be too great. I think the timeline is wonderful and I choose very consciously to stay connected on FB to the many people whom mean a great deal to me but I know would rarely be able to connect at this point in our lives in any other way.

• Sunita Pillay says:

Hi Yogi, yes, I did agonize over the promoting of my writing aspect of all of this, but I realized my mental health was more important. And I believe my readers will manifest through ways other than me being on FB. This article is a case in point, I suppose. The irony, to me, is fun. I'm a fan of irony. Thanks for reading the piece and sharing your thoughts! Peace, Sunita

19. LDighera@att.net says:

You’re Not the Custome;, You’re Facebook's Product!
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-09/21 http://techland.time.com/2010/10/15/facebook-your

20. Lifeissweet says:

Do not ding me for the typos, ha, I recognize there is no such thing as a negative compliment. Or maybe there is if you have a sense of humor. My intention above is to share my growth and to note I agree with the author's observations. My intention is not to say this is the only way or to expect millions of people will withdraw their membership. That really is none of my business.

• Sunita Pillay says:

Haha, point taken. We are NOT trying to get people to leave Facebook. I repeat: we are NOT trying to get people to leave Facebook. LOL

21. Vision_Quest2 says:

And, you know,IPO timing, and controversy ….

22. Don says:

Facebook is a tool which can be used for good or bad.

23. dan says:

The most worrying scenario MacKinnon conjures is not an Orwellian world of Big Brother censorship, but one more along the lines of that envisioned by Aldous Huxley, in which "our desire for security, entertainment, and material comfort is manipulated to the point where we all voluntarily and eagerly submit to subjugation." ~http://motherjones.com/media/2012/02/review-consent-networked-internet-freedom

24. bobo says:

this girl really has emotional problems! jajajaja remember everything in excess is bad.

25. Robert says:

I understand every single point you make and think it is 100% valid. Here's my perspective as an artist/photographer. Facebook has allowed me to welcome the world into my living/breathing/ongoing creative flowing studio. There are times when I feel a bit self-conscious that I am putting out too many images. I try to release, on average, two works of art a day.
    HERE"S the most important thing that has kept it clean for me: I do not look at the newsfeed, EVER.
    I have a few friends I check in on – they don't post nonsense. I follow paths of information, on occasion, through their pages. The newsfeed does not exist in my world and this is what has saved me. The challenge for me is to learn how to use it mindfully because it is a remarkable vehicle for putting poetry (that life is hungry for) into the world. But, there is also nothing wrong with eliminating it from your life completely.

• Marlana says:

you don't look at newsfeed, ever? you should get self control of the year award. only times I've stayed off newsfeed is when I wasn't on facebook.

26. Very good read… You need to go to Giverny, France and view some Monet’s from his home town…

27. YogiChic says:

Totally related to your story. I deleted my FB account, too, but realized there were sites (such as Elephant Journal) that I enjoyed reading. So I created another FB account using an alias, "liked" the organizations that I wanted to continue to connect to (if I didn't do that I would not have read your story!), and have only one friend…my son.

Thank you for sharing.

28. beastybat says:

Actually, Facebook outrage helped push the Komen foundation to reinstate their funding to Planned Parenthood. So, no, individual political action won't make much of a difference, but opinions that go "viral" can orchestrate change and bring pressure. Just my two cents.

• Sunita Pillay says:

True. And then there was the Egyptian revolution. Apparently FB was instrumental in organizing aspects of that. But for me, the cons of FB far outweigh the pros.

29. LIZ says:

I believe that with the invention of FB, real relationships and meaningful exchanges disapeared. Posts and posting to multiple listeners is an unfulfilling way to relate as a human being. I mostly use it as a phonebook and to keep track of people and read articles but to think that having "friends" on FB is real support is a mistake. When my dog died recently, only two people made comments and I began to delete people and came to the conclusion that FB has ruined friendships and relating in a human way forever. The only way to get it back would be for FB to disappear.

30. swedishfish says:

I love the Art Institute… I try to visit every time I'm in Chicago.

31. Jenn Chic says:

I loved your article – and I totally agree with you. It boggles my mind that more people don’t see Facebook this way. I lived in Japan for 2 years and craved long talks and connecting with people in a way that I was used to but was quite uncommon in the Japan that I experienced. There was that language barrier but it was more than that. When I returned home Facebook was just taking off and I couldn’t believe my friends down the street would FB me rather than calling or stopping by. Something was changing in how we communicate. I long for hand-written letters and phone calls from long lost friends. Sigh. I’m getting ready to cut the FB ties in order to connect deeply with those around me now and to practice presence. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

32. Kelly says:

I stopped using FB 18 months ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

33. diane Hudock says:

I so love this!! When did it become work to keep your ‘friend’s’?

Maybe you’ll start a movement! :)

Peace

• Sunita Pillay says:

Seriously! If I do start a movement, it wouldn't have been intended. But wouldn't that be fun? :) Thanks for reading! -Sunita

34. Dr. O. P. Sudrania says:

I agree with her. These are social open websites with a crowd more in indulgence than diligence. Hence a selective judicious use is the best option.

35. Rick says:

Excellent!

I agree with your ideas completely!

Facebook is a total brain drain. I did the same a couple months

ago. Liberation!

I never was much of a FB user but tried for the sake of my business. It did

Nothing for that either. Because I was a popular high school teacher for 7 years ( i taught ceramics) I had all my former students as friends. Bad idea!

I have essentially seen them all in college, at a party, drunk and usually in their underwear. Yuk!

Political ranting and activism fell on hollow, self agrandizing ears as well.

In the end it was my old buddy that made me sad and disgusted. He’s in his 50′s and posting 50 times a day about the minutiae of his obviously terribly

Lonely Life.

The constructed ego persona created by people using (anti-) social media is precisely the fundamental disconnect of mindfulness and from reality.

Back to, as Suzuki roshi would say: ” things as it is”.

Thanks for the voice of reality!

• Sunita Pillay says:

Thanks, Rick. As a former "popular" h.s. English teacher, I can totally relate to the horror of having your students as friends, ugh. The story of your buddy is sad; I too had friends who posted too frequently instead of connecting with the real world. There is so much stuff to do before our time's up! Again, thanks for reading and giving your thoughtful feedback. Peace, Sunita

36. guest says:

Opted out of FB almost a year ago (for almost all of the same reasons) and haven't looked back… Great article. Thanks!

37. Ruardt Prozesky says:

Thanks for a great article!

I also deleted my profile a few weeks ago and at that moment it felt like social suicide. To the contrary it was actually a very easy adjustment. I believe we are spreading ourselves too thin. We can’t possibly be in touch with that many people on anything other than a superficial level. Let’s rather focus on who and what we have with us now.

• Sunita Pillay says:

Yes, it was easier than I thought it would be. I too wondered how it would be not to be "in touch" with all those people. Looking back, it's like this strange trip I took for a few years. And yes, the now is so important. It is always worth a reminder to come back to it because we are forever forgetting about it in our rush to do something in the future. But now is all there is! Thanks for reading, Ruardt! -Sunita

38. Dee Greenberg Dee says:

I liked this so much, I shared it on Facebook! :-)

39. Hugo says:

Thoughtful commentary. Makes me revise the way I am dealing with friends after FB. Not calling or visiting them anymore. Strange behavior to
    revisit. Thanx again.

40. Slava says:

Interesting – I like your perspective.

41. lolyeah says:

Is easy to delete FB when you are ugly

• Trollslayer says:

'Is easy' to troll when you are unidentified…
      And, your aesthetic sensibility is horrible.
      Yutz.

42. [...] This entry was posted on February 21, 2012. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a [...]

43. Marlana says:

Best article on this I've ever read on facebook. Wonder how much money people could make just by not getting on fb.

44. Yvonne says:

I appreciate this post. I am begining to embark on my own facebook deletion and am considering putting up a post like this of my own (somewhere, I’m not an avid blogger). I have come to share almost all of your feelings regarding facebook except for one. It seems to me that political change can and is brought about through facebook. This can be for good or ill, but either way I find it unsettling. Political images, statuses, video links, etc. can go viral on fb in a way that does affect group consciousness like newspaper editorials never could, but it seems to lend its way to mob mentalities and mass hysteria faster than anything ever has before. Even when I agree with a position being promoted through these methods I tend to question where I’m coming from with it. If I click like or repost am I helping promote something I believe in, or am I merely spreading a cheapened version of something I feel strongly about in a quippy ‘viral’ form? My uneasiness was heightened when I watched the nbc mini documentary ‘The Facebook Obsession’. In one brief segment, Mark Zuckerburg was shown with several prominent world leaders, all of whom were turning to him for advice. I don’t really understand how this is, but facebook just seems way to powerful to me now.

All that aside, even if facebook is an innocent cyber-entity in every regard, it is still a heinous life-wasting time suck. I am gone.

45. Psycheplay says:

Sunita, you've written what I've been telling my friends why I deleted my facebook so well that I might just forward them this blog

46. [...] I permanently deleted my Facebook account several months ago. I’ve detailed some of my reasons here. [...]

47. Agnes says:

I did it tonite:-)

48. [...] I permanently deleted my Facebook account several months ago. I’ve detailed some of my reasons here. [...]

49. Less Is More says:

I am right there with you. I enjoyed reading your story. I deleted my fb account 3 months ago and never looked back. I am so excited I did. I became addicted to it too and felt so narcissistic and that is not what or who I want to be. I enjoyed it for a while and then got sucked in and it was in so many thoughts of my day, that I knew i was an addict. Since I left I feel free. It started to feel totally unnatural to see what people from hs were doing on a daily basis. Anyhow I enjoyed reading your post! Thanks for sharing!