2. Be patient with your body and your mind. Trust that everything will come when you are ready—not when you think you’re ready, but when you are really ready.
3. Never compare your practice to the practice of someone else. You do not know their story. Your practice is beautifully and uniquely yours, as is theirs.
4. Do not be afraid to fall. Falling is how we learn. Get back up, and try again.
5. Do not give yourself deadlines. Goals are great, timelines are not. If you want to touch your toes, practice that every day. Whether you get it in six days or six months is irrelevant.
6. Do not wait until tomorrow. Do it now, because tomorrow you will wish you had started today.
7. Nix the word ‘impossible’ from your vocabulary. Whenever things seem that way, trust me, they are not.
8. Stick with it. Do not give up. Whatever you do, do not give up. When you hit a plateau, keep going. When you face-plant, keep going. When you finally ‘get’ a pose, keep going. Do not stop.
9. Remember that you are amazing. You are light, you are love and you are strength. Everything you will ever need is already inside you. And when you start to doubt that, read this again. And again. And again.
10. Yoga is not about balancing on your arms or putting your leg behind your head. Yoga is about the breath, and creating a deeper connection to your Self. The physical practice is beautiful, but what’s really beautiful is what lies within.
Article prepared by Assistant Yoga Editor, Soumyajeet Chattaraj.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,359 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017’s First Full Moon in Cancer: Everything we Want is on the Other Side of Fear. 22,475 shares Why I Snort Raw Cacao. 8,905 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 1,940 share If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 6,076 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,202 shares The Power of Saying “He’s just Not into Me.” 1,751 share How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 133 shares You’ve Ruined Me for Anyone Else. 1,690 share