Amy Ippoliti: “I have decided to leave Anusara yoga.”

Via
on Jan 25, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

Update: this is Amy’s letter on her web site. An expanded letter for we elephants is coming down the pike—check back here if so inspired. ~ ed.

PS: here’s my interview with John Friend, Mr. Anusara himself, from a few months back following the resignations of Elena Brower, other senior Anusara teachers. ~ ed.

Dear friends, students, and dear Ones,

I have decided to leave Anusara yoga.

It’s been a wonderful ride and one that has deeply influenced my life in infinite ways; however, I have found myself no longer in alignment with the direction of the organization.

Some of you will be upset with this decision, others will be elated, but one thing I can assure you is that I am not going anywhere. I am still Amy, and will continue in my mission to expand the horizons of yoga, and to teach from my ongoing practice as creatively as I know how, and in doing so, I will not compromise my personal values or commitment.

My calling is to help yoga teachers and practitioners of all styles.

Over the past several years I have developed professional programs for yoga teachers that are helping to bring more students to the mat. I am proud that these programs have helped equip thousands of our prized yoga teachers around the world with the tools to serve students better.

My move from Anusara Yoga will allow me to best serve students and teachers from all schools, and I am committed to doing so with the integrity they deserve.

I know that the world will be a better place with more yoga practitioners, and my dedication to this goal will always continue.

Thank you so much for being a part of my life and for your presence in yoga.

I can’t wait for what the future will bring, and to practice with you in this New Year!

Be the light,
Amy

About elephant journal

Comments

23 Responses to “Amy Ippoliti: “I have decided to leave Anusara yoga.””

1. john cargile says:

Love you, Amy. Can’t wait to see what is on the horizon.

2. yogadivina says:

You Go Girl!! I love Anusara, and as the Dalai Lama once said.. "use what you have learned as stepping stones to where you need to be"
    You will continue to ROCK!
    Jai Ma! on your ventures!

3. Madelain Burgoyne says:

Follow your heart honey!

4. FurryFred says:

It's just asanas, people. Everybody relax…..

5. Adam says:

I guess you can make more money by setting up your own thing than following someone else's. Ah America! Land of the buck.

6. anouscka says:

New Chapters! Great to follow your hearts call.

7. Jenny says:

Dear Amy, Lineage is very important, and obviously being free to make the choices you want is as well. Even more important is making yoga openly available without preference to those with money. Whatever your yoga lineage is, was, or will be, I hope you choose to start to offer financial aid or work/trade options at all of your events or offer events in less expensive places that do not require you to ask such big fees from your students (yes, I applied to one of your events and was told no financial aid is available for anyone for this event, and as a not-so-famous yoga teacher, I cannot afford all the costs of traveling to and attending a $800 yoga workshop. I know I am not the only one, and well I teach by the policy of accepting what people can pay me and rejecting no one). Sadly these days, the most popular forms of yoga are often only for people with a good chunk of extra money. The true yoga revolution will come when the superstar yoga teachers and lineages lead the way and take their yoga ethics to heart and go out to offer yoga to everyone, in every neighborhood, around the world, whether they have hefty paychecks or not. It's time to quit living out of fear of lack of having enough money and to start living fearlessly, with our fiery compassion and learned yogic wisdom as our supports and our hearts as our guides. I speak generally as I do not know your personal reasons for workshop prices, etc. Best wishes to you in 2012!

8. notarecoveringyoga says:

Is car insurance, food, clothing 'affordable'? Why should yoga be? Why should yoga teachers put themselves on sale and not be able to afford to live comfortably?

9. […] The situation is this: many of your senior teachers—Darren Rhodes, Christina Sell, Elena Brower, Amy Ippoliti, Laura Christensen, have resigned from Anusara over the past few months. We talked about that, you […]

10. Many thanks for sharing these kinds of wonderful threads. In addition, the perfect travel and medical insurance plan can often eliminate those worries that come with traveling abroad. A medical crisis can quickly become too expensive and that’s sure to quickly decide to put a financial weight on the family’s finances. Putting in place the suitable travel insurance package prior to leaving is well worth the time and effort. Thanks

11. Can I just say what a relief to find somebody who really understands what they’re talking about online. You certainly know how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people really need to check this out and understand this side of your story. I can’t believe you are not more popular since you certainly have the gift.