We have another chance this year to be who we were meant to be—that is at least until the world ends in December. So it’s time to get on those resolutions.
My To Be list:
* I am going to be a better vegetarian, or vegan, and I’m definitely going to be gluten-free as long as I can still eat a little chicken and have a shot of vodka every now and then.
* I will talk less and listen more. Seriously.
* I will say the “F” word less. But not when I’m in the car, or at the soccer fields or when doing Hanumanasana (a yoga pose). And I’ll definitely try to give up the “M-F” word, except in handstand.
* I will be a better friend to the ones I have, and not care so much about the ones I don’t have, which takes a whole lot of people off my mind.
* I will make dinner for my family. But not lunch. Everyone is on their own for lunch.
* I won’t care if my kids make their beds. But we will work on being better people.
* I will make dinner for my five favorite friends, even if it is just spaghetti. And if they are already vegans and gluten-free, I’ll offer them peanut butter and a shot of vodka.
* I want to find five friends I’d like to have for dinner.
* Not one more practical thing will come into my life. I will buy high heels, a white car and never again a dark coat that won’t show the dirt.
* I will say “I Love You” more often, maybe every single day, but not in an inappropriate way (unless I really do get to meet George Clooney).
* I will repair those pesky family relationships instead of counting the miles between us.
* But mostly, I am going to slow down. I want to wonder at a beautiful day, the faces of my children, the blessings I have and be in awe of life. Really, I will.
Michelle Berman Marchildon is an award-winning journalist, a former corporate executive and a survivor of 50+ years of life. She’s the author of “Finding More on the Mat,” a yoga memoir available from Amazon.com. She teaches Anusara-Inspired and Vinyasa Yoga in Denver, Colorado. You can find her blog at www.michellemarchildon.com/blog.