Yoga is Beautiful. {Equinox Video}

Via on Jan 5, 2012

It’s also Tough.

Yoga is beautiful. It’s also hard work. It’s breathing through that moment of tightness. It’s getting to the mat. It’s remembering proper, subtle yet vital alignment. It’s staying with whatever’s happening right now, but being gentle with oneself, too:

YouTube Preview Image

(Let’s hear it for the core)

This video has been making the rounds of mega-web site Reddit—2 billion readers this year—a site largely populated by young men. And most of the comments? Wow. Mind blown.

Yoga isn’t an “easy,” “girly” “sport.” It isn’t just stretching. It’s this moment, right here. It’s drishti. It’s alignment. It’s sweat. It’s getting to the mat in the middle of an impossible, stressful, hard-to-breathe day. It’s remembering to turn off the light switch and kiss your loved one goodbye for the day and mean it. It’s a deeply “human,” if not Divine, “practice.”

~

Credits: “Eager to master the arm balance? Equinox’s Briohny Smyth shows there’s no limit to what the artfully honed yoga body can do.

~

Totally mostly unrelated bonus:

About Waylon Lewis

If you liked this, you might like these:

47 Responses to “Yoga is Beautiful. {Equinox Video}”

1. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

• janetlandis says:

I saw nothing but beauty, peace, and a lot of practice. How inspiring. May your daughter feel as comfortable in her body as you've worked so hard fo feel in yours. I bow in respect to your practice and your compassionate presence. Namaste'.

2. anon says:

I am getting a little of these videos of hot ex dancers doing beautiful vinyasas. Looks like she should do some seated meditation instead.

3. Kimberly says:

I appreciate the sensual athleticism but is it really necessary to video this in your underwear?

4. jenn says:

To the comments above.. Really! I would guess she is taping her own private personal practice and the rawness of it.

• Jessica says:

I agree. Plus, you cannot gain the full appreciation of her skill without seeing her body. If she was wearing baggy pajamas, we wouldn't be able to see her form. For those of us who are regular practitioners, we like to watch people who are better than us and see just how their body moves and aligns. It helps us become better. I, for one, didn't even notice the bed until I went back and watched it again. I was too busy wondering if I would ever be able to do half of the moves she does.

• guest says:

um. You think she taped this herself? How's she get the butt shots?

5. Hannah B. says:

And why is she practically naked? With an unmade bed in the background? Looks more like selling sex to try to sell memberships than yoga to me.

• Del says:

Get over yourself. Most people with real home practices have little on when they do yoga. This video is pleasant, inspirational and a fine way to spend two minutes of of your day.

• VedderLover says:

Doing it with little clothing on is a great way for viewers to see the muscles at work and get a great view of proper alignment. As for the unmade bed…not everybody makes their bed first thing before they practice..it makes her look real…like she just crawled out of bed and couldn't wait to get started.

6. Isabelle says:

I never even noticed the unmade bed, or the heiny shots….I did notice the strength in her arms and core and her breathing. To me it was beautiful!

7. Jessica says:

Amazing! It's videos like this that make me want to keep practicing, keep pushing myself. I can only dream of being as gorgeously fluid as she is, but wow! I feel a little surge of motivation right now!

8. [...] The world is living through a lot of tumult at the moment: governments falling, economies teetering on the brink of failure, natural disasters, etc. As if that global drama is not enough for us to deal with, it seems that this tumult is also playing itself out, albeit in a much more minor and somewhat ridiculous way, within the yoga community. Lately there has been one yoga controversy after the next. It seems there have even been too many for me to remember, but these are the ones that stand out: First there was the so-called scandal about teachers leaving the Anusara community, then there was the subsequent interview of John Friend by Waylon Lewis, where John dispelled all rumor and innuendo. Next was the Lululemon and John Galt scandal, revealing Lulu’s ties to a conservative agenda and the crisis of conscience that that invokes for the average left-of-center yogi. Then there was yet another John Friend scandal, this time involving the size and the commercialism of his new Manduka mat. Next was the news that Bikram was suing Yoga to the People. More recently, this week was the controversy about the New York Times article labeling yoga as “dangerous.” That one kicked up quite a firestorm! And most recently, the one that is currently swirling around and in which I have found myself front and center, is the controversy of the Equinox Sex.. er, I mean Yoga, video. [...]

9. ditto says:

Maybe we could add a pole into the shot?

10. Madelain Burgoyne says:

I loved watching this!

Totally, totally couldn’t move my eyes away. I found myself following her movements with my own breath! D/dog, Inhale, look forward, prepare; Exhale, (root & naval lock), jump into handstand gracefully & with complete control….

I in no way found any of this offensive! What I liked most about this vid, is that she depicts dedication to her practice despite her modern contemporary lifestyle. How can anyone say that what she’s doing has nothing to do with meditation. Physical posture, deep continued concentration, breath = Meditation. Not all meditation has to be done sitting!

Very inspiring… now I’m going to go work on getting into handstand!

• Vision_Quest2 says:

If I wanted inspiration of this sort–of watching a yogi fly around on her mat … (and I am a little too old and weak to, in my right mind want it) I would go for the mindfulness and the breath-centric focus of a Dr. Satkirin loooong before this … this is purely done for the aesthetics … and the ability to make an ADVERTISING impression. After all, Equinox is JUST A GYM (if, to me, a particularly upscale one) … and with all these yoga studios around, they have to put themselves front and center to get the bodies in … pardon my cynicism here …

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Or even a Farnoosh Brock … I really think she has what it takes, and I heart her.

But perceived mindfullness and audible breathing will not sell gym memberships …

11. Check out my response to the video- http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/01/the-equino

While many saw sex, I saw nothing but raw beauty and art in this video.

• lifeline says:

There is definitely a sexual undertone to it. Why do we need the setting of the bedroom with the unmade bed, man asleep in it, and lacy black underwear?

If you want raw beauty, show her, just in some basic underwear or tight exercise clothing that allows to see the full body- jeez you could even show her naked and make it less sexual than this video. Make the focus her movements, not the scene. Make her moves more about yoga than ones that like they should be done accompanied by a pole. Create a setting that is peaceful and basic, a white background, maybe a plant.

I'm not prudish in the least, but this video isn't JUST a beautiful person, a beautiful body, with beautiful form doing a beautiful practice. It's definitely got more going on..which is fine, but just call it what it is…which is..I'm not sure. Sexy, semi-yoga video?

12. dan says:

Geez what a nice place… am I the only one who was distracted by the apartment and not the "lack" of acceptable fashion?

13. allison says:

This shows eloquence and beauty. She depicts what we should all feel when we wake up in the morning. While showing inner peace she is also showing strength, the contrast is amazing. Very inspiring.

14. Paulina says:

Honestly, I just was relieved to find out I'm not the only one who does yoga in their underwear. (Seriously, after a day in an office I used to come home, roll out my mat, strip down, and do some asanas for some instant relief from the grind)

15. Adrienne says:

that is badass. awesome. i wish i could just do as 1/2 as good of a downdog! never mind all that other stuff! it was beautiful and sexy. ain’t nuthin wrong with that! i saw strength too. and most of the time was thinking…’i hope when she is done she gets back in bed with that (probably) hot guy and gets to business.’

16. Blossom says:

This girl has the build of a gymnast and all the comments about how she is an icon of something are acceptable because she did seem to be very poised but people don't notice that all the so-called yoga teachers are young and athletic and a girl with rocket body like this is a happy accident of nature. I am really happy for her and hope she has something equally impressive to offer on some other layer of yoga when she is fifty.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Yes, and I say that to Kathryn Budig, too … even though she may be more mindful and have a large media following …

17. Guy says:

Very beautiful video. Really enjoyed it. Very well produced. Loved what they did with the effects. Very subtle, yet gives a strong impression.

By any chance, did anyone notice the other person in the unmade bed? I don't usually make my bed when there are people in it, so that might explain that.

18. snow queen says:

that's not yoga.

19. mary beth says:

soooooo gorgeous bri. there's nothing about this video that was offensive. your strength and beauty steal the show.

20. liza says:

Beautiful.

21. Youngest Yogini says:

To be able to do Yoga one must get alignment.
    To be able to get alignment one must understand the body.
    To be able to understand the body one must know the body.
    To be able to know the body one must see the body.
    To be able to see the body, know the body, understand the body, get alignment and do proper yoga the amount of clothing is not mentioned!

Thank you for this inspiring clip! It definitly shows the art of yoga and the total control this young woman owns!

22. uninspiring. says:

crotch shots to sell a gym; I guess meat-markets are alive and well. As far as the postures, some was yoga, some was.. circus stuff.. find it funny that a gym uses a home practice of sort and wonder if people actually are going to sign up or go buy white comforters? hahaha

23. Lana withers says:

More gymnast than yoga, but beautiful none the less. If it inspires one of us seeking a more perfect practice all the better, Yoga is about oneself. Go for it! I loved it. Thank you Punkie

24. [...] yogini in the video’s name is Briohny. Her fiancé, asleep in the bed, is Dice. You’re going to hear their names more than Shiva [...]

25. [...] Some defend it, some appreciate it, some are “triggered” by it. I found it simply beautiful—powerful. [...]

26. [...] Here Kathryn Budig, a fast-rising (okay, risen), bright-shining star in the yoga world, the dog-snuggling force behind Poses for Paws, who has seen her share (as she notes, below) of accolades and criticism, talks with Briohny Smyth—whose Equinox yoga video [...]

27. [...] I recently wrote a blog about yoga as the pursuit of unity. I wrote this amidst the release of the Yoga Equinox video. [...]

28. [...] interpretazioni di una sequenza di Astanga Yoga da parte di una donna e di un [...]

29. [...] a few short months, The Equinox Yoga Video has reached 2.5 million views, making it one of the two or three most-viewed yoga videos in modern [...]

30. [...] swirling around and in which I have found myself front and center, is the controversy of the Equinox Sex.. er, I mean Yoga, [...]

31. Coco says:

Every time I watch this I can't help but smile! Fluid strength mixed with such beauty; I can't help but be happy for her:-) It inspired me to want to rededicate myself to my home practice!

32. Lelu says:

inspiring!! I love the dedication, commitment, wow…makes me want to go for it…very beautiful I loved the serentity of her home and getting out of bed to practice

33. klockten says:

What's up this the dude asleep in the bed? Random…

34. Julianna says:

As a teenager I started playing soccer, and working on the gym and learned stretching that I use up to this day. I have always practiced yoga without being conscious of it, or learning about yoga… now I see many of the exercises I've always done, people call "Yoga" :)

35. solfulsoul says:

I love how there lays a limp and lifeless man in the background…

36. Brett says:

When did raw physicality, strength, athleticism, focus and yes, sexuality become a bad combination? What is wrong with the duality of appreciating the talent and dedication of the individual while at the same time appreciating the entirety of the results of that dedication which includes the fact that she looks fantastic? I enjoyed every facet of this video and don't feel dirty admitting it.