“Yoga Master.” {reminds of Equinox video}

Via Waylon Lewis
on Jan 28, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

Correction: first of all, this video is awesome, and I shared it because it’s beautiful. Secondly, the criticism below was of the term “master” being applied to asana, merely, not at all to David Regelin, the teacher below. Thirdly, I don’t know him, and honestly the below was not meant personally, except again to the extent that I was impressed, akin to the Equinox video.

I blogged this up over-hastily, and meant only to criticize the term “yoga master” which seems to get tossed around with Tara Stiles and other colleagues accepting that term. I think it’s misleading and conveys the idea that yoga is about incredible asana practice, which is not the whole truth.

I’ve commented below in response to David, who I have no reason to have anything but vague admiration for, at this point, and will hopefully be offered a generous opportunity to make this right. ~ Waylon, ed.

David Regelin:

Asana [does not equal] yoga. You can be buff and have cool tattoos, doesn’t mean you know squat about yoga. Still, it’s a good start:

YouTube Preview Image

And here’s the Equinox Yoga video, in case you somehow missed it.

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

21 Responses to ““Yoga Master.” {reminds of Equinox video}”

1. […] Well, ladies, if you came wanting to see hottie yoga, can’t leave you disappointed. […]

2. david regelin says:

Hi Waylon,
    I'm not sure what compelled you to make that statement about me. Having a blog does not mean you know anything about yoga either.

3. Vision_Quest2 says:

This is the Iyengar master teacher?

[Maybe this had been from the archives … ]

Those Iyengar dudes are out to make a buck also … At least there's no setting/story/undercurrent (underwear) like with the upscale gym's one … and the tats show some spirituality–and some life other than the sensual, mainstream and materialistic …

4. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Well, I would have been more impressed if he were in his undies. 😉

5. jbnorton says:

Does having a beautiful asana practice preclude knowing more than squat about yoga?

6. Tea says:

For all of these super-yogi-videos, I find, that my body feels the freedom of their freedom, their movements, that wonderful space that comes with opening and strengthening echoes through the screen. I think it's beautiful. Yes, David is also a beautiful man, but first and foremost he is human.

7. Yogini says:

I'm amazed at how difficult it is to explain that the goal of yoga is to reach samadhi not to do difficult poses. There is no conflict that I can see here in this forum from the yogis. There is nothing more beautiful than seeing what the human body is capable of . There is nothing more satisfying than being able to do difficult poses too (for the ego especially!). But the asana practice is essentially done to prepare the mind and body for meditation whereupon the the possibility of merging with the Divine can occur.

8. Natalie Baginski says:

if david meditates and studies vedanta and cares at all about his spiritual Self and is working toward a higher level of consciousness (which it sounds like he is) then he has done nothing to justify the amount of criticism he's getting because he is actually practicing yoga.

since everyone is submitting their opinions i will submit mine: anyone who practices asana but doesn't have a meditation practice should not be invited to talk about 'yoga' at all online or in person. (yikes!)

david, you're awesome. if you post an hour-long video of yourself doing your meditation i will do the same. and we should do it in our underwear.