Life is 10% what happens to me & 90% how I react to it.

Via on Feb 19, 2012

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.

It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a marriage, a relationship, a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable.

The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you, you are in charge of your Attitude.”

~ Charles R Swindoll

About Waylon Lewis

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

10 Responses to “Life is 10% what happens to me & 90% how I react to it.”

1. Joe Sparks says:

We must be in full charge at all times. To assign the responsibility for any difficulty to an external factor, or to another person, or to another person's reactions, is itself an irrationtionality. Attitude is everything.

2. lindsay says:

I love this article! Attitude is everything and exude confidence and inner strength, good things do come your way.

3. Greg Eckard says:

inspiring, especially the reminder that we have the power to change our attitude and how we react!

4. catnipkiss says:

OK, prime example: I was robbed in Santiago today. As careful as I have tried to be, I had my wallet out and was looking in my purse for extra change; the thief grabbed thw wallet RIGHT OT OF MY HAND and ran off. (I pursued for a while, screaming, but could not catch him. it was surreal…) But afterwards, I didn't cry. I tried to think compassionate thoughts mixed with wishes for a horrible painful death for him (ok, I'm still not perfect) , but filed a report, came back and used Skyope to call my family and my banks. I was fortunate to have another card stashed "just in case" and I never carry my passport. So, he got $150 (sucks as I am not employed…) two credit cards and my driver's license. Also my Starbucks card!! But my attitude was, these things happen, I'm travelling, fortunate i was not hurt, lucky I am smart enough to carry other cards,and thank god for the internet, Skype, etc., to make things easier. Got out some money with the new card, bought some rum. Life is ok again. Very little Poor Me, wringing my hands. Sympathy is still appreciated, though….. Alexa M

• gmcheeseman1 says:

I am really sorry that happened to you!!!! It really does suck! I am amazed and inspired by your attitude. Clearly, you are a spiritual person. It shows in your reaction.

5. Jill Destito says:

We cannot blame ourselves for everything. Sometimes external factors are to blame and if we continue to blame ourselves those things never change.

Example: Racism, Slavery. Imagine if Rosa Parks just sat in the back of the bus and changed her perception of the situation….

• Heidrun says:

I don't think this is about blaming ourselves. It's about feeling responsible for everything that happens in our lives. This is empowering – thinking that external factors are the cause of a situation has never changed anything. That is why Rosa Parks did what she did – and didn't wait for any external factors to change!

6. catnipkiss says:

Thanks. I think I am turning into a spiritual person, because not so long ago this would have ruined my trip, or at least the part of it in Santiago. But I'm back out exploring (a little more carefully) and I feel really good. People can rob you of things, but "things" are not what really counts in life. Took me forever to learn that….. and nobody can steal my peace! – Alexa

7. [...] the heels of realizing that something needed to be explored and looked at, we decided that we would expand the walls of our relationship to include others. We mostly invited others into our intimate encounters, and a few times I was with people on my [...]