Via on Feb 3, 2012

Excerpt from a discussion after class lead by Dearbhla Kelly, the writer I am collaborating with on the next series of articles and images from the inside. On this day, the prison yoga teacher encouraged Dearbhla to teach the class and then lead the discussion.

(If you are inspired, please leave a comment below.  This project, along with the the public response, is shared with the government officials who have made it possible for me to navigate the prison system)

To close ones eyes in an open prison environment is unheard of.

S A V A S A N A ~ Friday 11 am yoga class ~ State Penitentiary: Northern California.

~~~

You can follow Sturman’s artwork within the prison system  on Facebook.

Previous article by Robert Sturman: Why I Love Prison: It’s My Turn to Talk

Check out  The ‘Cell Block D Sukhasana’ Tee for Men and Women

100% of the Proceeds Benefit this Project

About elephant journal

17 Responses to “Prisoners: Eloquently Reminding us of the Essence of Yoga. {VIDEO} ~ Robert Sturman Photography.”

1. Dearbhla Kelly Dearbhla says:

Thanks for the visceral reminder of that humbling experience hanging out with the freedom yogis. They taught ME about the practice. Amazing. Humbling. Deep. Touching. Clarifying. Edifying.

2. kiwiyogini says:

Wow. very moving.

3. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

I love this so much. I'm grateful you are here to share all of this.

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

4. romi says:

wow, simply beautiful. as yogis, we all know the profound shifts it makes in us. physically, spiritually, intellectually, it has the ability to " calm the beast" shall we say, to calm the inner being from constant ,nonsense chatter. these videos and photos are proof that these profound shifts can occur, no matter what the situation. kudos to this beautiful program.

5. Yogini says:

Well done. Keeping yoga real is a great relief.

6. laura says:

my initial impression of the photos was very deep and difficult. in my own life, with struggling with mental issues and being ‘locked up’ in psych wards, sometimes with being court ordered–not knowing when i will leave and be home again, yoga on my own terms helped me to cope with long days of solitude. i cannot say how important it is to me to be given Hope and a Chance to recover and have a sense of peace or serenity for anyone and in those conditions, regarless of their /our past. and for these specific individuals, the video is stating that while their condition is dramatically altered by being in prison, they are getting a deeper connection with something that is Helping them and Changing their lives. i am infinitely supportive of your project and have so much hope that this continues and spreads. i have made mistakes, i have been scared for my life, i have done things that give me guilt and shame that i will always carry on my shoulders–there are days when hope is how i am able to carry on and get to the next moment. yoga helps. it helps tremendously and is a great gift. thank you for what you are doing.

7. Swapan Munshi says:

This is what makes me do what I do. Thanks for the inspiration Robert. I am blessed to have come across you in my life, for you help me strengthen my own virtues. Yoga Sanatana……. and there is a reason why… lol

8. Rachel says:

This is so inspiring, on so many levels. Thank you for doing this work.Ra

9. yogadivina says:

LOVE LOVE LOOOVE!

10. [...] Prisoners: Eloquently Reminding us of the Essence of Yoga. {VIDEO} ~ Robert Sturman Photography. [...]

11. yogatravels1 says:

This is yoga – pure – freeing people fromt heir mind set of what they believe they are supposed to BE. Yoga brings you back to who you really are. I am inspired by the love that flows out to the world when you allow it to enter your own heart.

12. caroline says:

INSPIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would love to be part of this program too.

13. Natalie says:

What an amazing program! I'd love to know how to support this program.

14. [...] me like things in motion around a carbon-based life form. The effects were, of course, short-lived. Life has a way of re-inserting [...]

15. Mona Halsey says:

Hello,

I think that this is an-amazing program and should be offered in all the prisons.