We export enough e-waste each year to fill 5126 shipping containers (40 ft x 8.5 ft each).
If you stacked them up, they’d reach 8 miles high–higher than Mt Everest, or commercial flights. Exported to poor countries, the stuff is taken apart for metals in horrific working conditions.
This—plus weak labor standards in China and many of the other developing countries where e-waste is sent—means that women and children are often directly exposed to lead and other hazardous materials.
Then there’s the stuff that remains here. In the United States, an estimated 70% of heavy metals in landfills comes from discarded electronics.
You’d think there’d be a law for discarding e-waste but, to date, there’s no Federal mandate. There are, however, 20 states and one municipality with e-waste laws. Find out if your state is on board here: National Electronics Recycling Infrastructure Clearinghouse.
What you can do…
- Treat your electronics with TLC in order to extend the lifespan.
- Recycle your electronics. Not sure how to do this? Refer to the Recycle It Right guide from The Story of Stuff Project. You can also register with ecycler to find someone who may actually pay you for your used electronics. Or, visit earth911.com to find a recycling location near you.
- Buy greener electronics. GreenPeace’s Guide to Electronics is a great resource. For energy-saving products, to to EnergyStar.gov.
- Buy refurbished electronics.
- Take a minute before you accept that cell phone upgrade. Do you really need it?
- Share this post with friends and family via facebook, twitter or large—but not overly obnoxious, preferably used—bullhorn from a mountain (preferably one that still has its top intact).
* originally posted on my blog, I Count for myEARTH.
photos: manowar064 via flickr.com
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 381 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 170 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 387 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 1,001 share Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 9 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,779 share The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,306 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 5,628 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 4,464 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 2,846 shares