This One Goes Out to All of Us Liberal & Conservative Obama Doubters.

Via on Feb 19, 2012
(Photo: Facebook)

President Obama’s approval rating has been at 50% lately for the first time in a long while.

I don’t know about you, but he’s gotten a hell of a lot more done in the past three years than I have.

What else does the guy have to do?

(Maybe some donuts will help.)

Let’s refresh our collective memory: from Sotomayor through the fly swat heard around the world:

Video: A New Media Tour through Barack Obama’s First Term.

YouTube Preview Image

About elephant journal

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

38 Responses to “This One Goes Out to All of Us Liberal & Conservative Obama Doubters.”

1. Robert says:

I posted the following in response to Waylon's FB link. Here it is again:

I'm not seeking to detract from Obama's real achievements. By and large, I hold the view that he's done a reasonable job in an incredibly challenging role.

That said, this list suffers from a huge credibility gap. To name a few:

~ "Wall Street Reform"? Such as?
    ~ "Toppled Gadhafi"? Yeah, and left a massive power vacuum in Libya that is now resulting in widespread torture, racism, and infrastructural breakdown.
    ~ "Unified the world against Iran"? Er … no. If anything, the US comes across as an aggressor against Iran.
    ~ "No tax dollars spent on BP clean-up"? I wonder what ecologists and local people have to say about the current state of the Gulf of Mexico.
    ~ "More deportations per year than Bush"? How is that even considered a good thing?
    ~ "Saved the world from global financial collapse"? That one's just there as a joke, right? Since when did pumping money into an inherently unsustainable and divisive system constitute salvation?

He DID block the Keystone XL pipeline, one of the few decisions of his I can genuinely admire.

On the other hand, he signed into law *indefinite military detention* of US citizens. Have you stopped to contemplate quite how dangerous that power is in the hands of Government?

He also continues to employ Monsanto shills in his cabinet, endangering public health on a colossal scale.

So, no, I haven't accomplished as much as Obama in the last three years. On the other hand, I haven't been responsible for opening the door to the US becoming a totalitarian state, or supporting a technology that already destroys the lives of millions of Indian farmers, and has the potential to have equally catastrophic effects in America. That's without even getting into the impact of US foreign policy on civilians around the world.

Like I say at the beginning of this post, he's in a deeply compromised position to begin with. I very much doubt that there's a realistic candidate to do a better job than he does. His genuine accomplishments deserve to be recognised. That doesn't mean, however, that he should be accorded the kind of unthinking cheerleading this poster implies.

In short: get real.

• Want to write it up a little more thoroughly & contribute to the conversation? It's great to hear respectful debate. Even when I don't agree, I always enjoy it when people have more to say than "Obama sucks." Flesh something out & send it over to write@elephantjournal.com or kate@elephantjournal.com.

• Robert says:

I'm afraid I don't have time to do that, Kate. To thoroughly research every point on that poster would take me hours. It's also ~ I speak from the standpoint of having begun the process ~ an extremely dispiriting experience.

Unfortunately, it takes a lot less effort to make bold claims than it does to critique them fairly and intelligently. I learnt as much from seemingly endless discussions with climate change deniers, who I've known to put up straw man after straw man and expect whoever they're arguing with to address each outlandish claim they make.

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to place a number of the assertions on this poster in a similar category. None are adequately sourced, and many are little more than opinion presented as fact. Most egregiously, those that relate to Libya, Iran, and Syria imply that the US presence in those countries is, and has been, motivated by humanitarian concerns. Any serious consideration of geopolitics gives the lie to that perspective.

I acknowledge that it's easy to condemn Obama with little understanding of the complex pressures he faces on a daily basis, and I recognise that redressing that situation may have been a motivation for the creation of the poster. I don't think, though, that the antidote to unfair criticism is unwarranted praise.

If you, or whoever created this poster, want to promote Obama's genuine accomplishments, it's your responsibility to present them in a fair, balanced way. Attempting to engage with them in the form in which they're currently laid out is exhausting me, and I need to stop.

• KSC says:

So true, Robert! Not to mention "healthcare reform" is a corporate/insurance giveaway and mostly he has foxes guarding the hen houses.

2. Ozz says:

Most of the 'accomplishments' listed in that image are at best arguable – and at worst bogus. Furthermore, even if every single one were true and accurate, they would not begin to make up for these other "accomplishments":

Mass murder: "no president has ever relied so extensively on the secret killing of individuals to advance the nation’s security goals": http://www.salon.com/2011/12/28/snapshots_of_wash

Opens the door to rendition of US citizens to torture states by US military with NO DUE PROCESS: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/why_im_suing_

Note both of these hard hitting pieces written NOT by Obama bashing conservatives, but by liberals who have integrity.

And of course, this does not even touch on the trillions of dollars Obama paid to the banksters, as he shifted THEIR bad assets to YOUR balance sheet. Actually, your children and grandchildrens' balance sheet.

Most especially, to ignore the mass murder of innocent Muslim women and children in drone strikes in half a dozen countries – but to tout Obama as noble for either non-factual or actively harmful and offensive policies (deporting more people is an accomplishment to be proud of???) – as though "saving" the US auto industry (actually, he saved the corporations and their bondholders – and the auto industry is one of the world's worst polluters to boot – I mean, why not claim he 'saved' the tobacco industry while we're at it?) makes up for bombing and killing small brown people world wide.

This is really an obscene piece of propaganda – pure spin, and I'm truly saddened that EJ saw fit to publish it.

3. SQR says:

I'm not particularly disappointed with Barack Obama, because I didn't have a huge amount of faith in him to begin with… his heart may well be in the right place, but the political system in this country makes it difficult (to say the least) for any one elected official to bring about the kind of change the President's supporters are looking for. It's obvious to me that, as bad as things have gotten in recent years, there are a significant number of republicans in power who would've happily made things even worse. Fine examples of the best Congress money can buy. That said, however, when the New York Times characterized Obama as capitulating to the right when signing the NDAA, with it's indefinite detention provision, my jaw dropped… that provision is something the Obama administration specifically stipulated be written into the bill! Now, I'm not under any illusion that a Republican president wouldn't have done the same thing, but the fact remains- Obama is the President who did it. I'm hoping he will address this in some way before the election…

• SQR says:

It's harder to be disappointed when you don't put someone on a pedestal to begin with (Anusara yoga?). The President is a human being, who probably believes in many of the things I do- and human beings make mistakes. The President made one. You can't hold someone to account simply by saying they're better than the alternative.

4. dan says:

It's always difficult to say what a president is actually responsible for, and what he just happened to be around for. 50% approval is pretty amazing. Obama is polling with the same numbers he had when elected. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/
    His tacit endorsement of heckling law in the name of justice (Gadaffi, Osama, drones) is nothing to brag about, but yea, he's no Bush.

5. [...] what does all this have to do with Barack Obama? This morning, I read a piece on Elephant Journal highlighting Obama’s achievements in his first term as President. The piece seemed to be [...]

6. jrb says:

I haven't been able to get a job that covers costs for the last 3 years. I've been homeless twice and Obama fired me for treating government inflicted ptsd with marijuana.

7. Ozz says:

Kate, you said:

"Is this photo and commentary "spin?" In my mind, looking at the positive isn't necessarily spin any more than looking at the negative. They are both valid perspectives and we need to weigh it all mindfully before we vote."

But…this post included none of the negative – I had to post links to Glenn Greenwald's piece on Obama's vast killing machine (yes, Obama himself had to approve this, can't say it was not his responsibility) and Hedges piece on NDAA.

So, we got a post with all positive spin, while the negative stuff winds up buried in the comment section. Yet you say 'they're both valid' and 'we need to weigh it all mindfully' – I'm sorry, but that doesn't add up.

In fact, this seems to me to be the very definition of spin.

• This post is my opinion–not news. I meant that as a society and individuals we have to look at both sides and make our own choices. After looking at all of Obama's choices, I found that the image and video I have included reflected my perspective. Sorry if that was unclear in my earlier comment.

**edited to add**my opinion, but the items listed in the photo are factually accurate, even if a second list of shortcomings was not included.

• Ozz says:

"the items listed in the photo are factually accurate"

This is false. And in fact many are not only factually inaccurate, but also blatantly dishonest in the way they have been presented.

From beginning to end, each one of these is at best debatable: For example, do you know how those 'new jobs' were in fact 'calculated'? From 'hedonics' to the BLS' 'birth/death' model, statistics like these are manufactured for political purposes, rather than rigorously calculated. More here:

Then you have $2T in deficit reduction being claimed – only your post fails to point out that these are FUTURE PROMISES to take place over the next ten years! The FACTS are that the deficit has INCREASED every single year under Obama.

So how is this "factually accurate"??

And the exact same argument goes for the claims about military spending – which once again are promises for the future not – as presented – FACTUAL.

Nearly every claim suffers from similar distortions and dishonesty (Obama unified the world against Iran? What about Russia and China and India? And – why is it even a good thing to lead us toward yet another oil war?). So I stand by my original comment: I'm saddened that EJ has seen fit to publish this dishonest kind of political spin.

It's rather ironic in light of today's EJ post of the SNL skit on Obama. The same dynamic being made fun of in that clip – that regardless of what Obama has done or could do, it is an impossibility for him to lose the black vote – appears to be operative in all earnestness in this post.

• Ozz says:

Actual deficit numbers (I was wrong that it's gone up every single year under Obama, so this is to clarify):

2009: 1.413 trillion
          2010: 1.267T
          2011: 1.56T
          2012: 1.327T

I don't see a $2T reduction anywhere evident in these numbers, and since current proposals are NOT binding on future Congresses, wouldn't you agree, Kate, that the numbers posted in your original post CANNOT be called "factually accurate"?

It WOULD. however, be entirely accurate to say that the DEBT (not deficit) has increased on Obama's watch – so far – by 1.413+1.267+1.56+1.327 = $5.567 trillion dollars.

That is what is called a 'fact.'

And that of course, does not include the increased in off-budget unfunded liabilities – only the fraudulent "public debt number". The latter number stands at about $15T and rising the former (i.e. what the US government actually owes) is estimated at between $80T and $200T and is primarily based on social security and medicare liabilities added to the public debt.

8. Lisa says:

Hi Kate, thanks for having the courage to post this. I volunteered for the Obama Campaign and it changed me life. I ended up going to 3 "red" states for him-2 during the primaries, the Democratic Convention and the Inauguration. I worked in the office here in LA and did countless other things, most I don't remember, as it became part of my life for almost 3 years. All on my own dime and time. This is coming from someone who never thought myself political up to that point. But, what I did believe is people have to get up off their a** and take a stand for something. And, up to that point, in my life there was never a Presidential candidate I could get behind. What I take away from all this is what Obama made clear early on. We wouldn't always be happy or agree with some of his decisions. Lord knows I have been disappointed with some of them. But I can say I feel good about what he has accomplished and continues to try to accomplish. This man has had an incredible wall of trouble to deal with from day one. Not to mention the fact that a good majority of this country is still prejudice but would dare not admit it. It is evidenced in the way so much of his policy gets automatically blocked by the other party. Can anyone say sour grapes? It is sad to see things played out this way. But, I can say that I am proud of my President. I helped to elect him and it made me a more informed and activated person in the process. And I believe him to be a good man. And, for me, in the world of politics-that counts for a lot.

• Thanks for adding your perspective, Lisa! I agree. There will never be one person who holds the office of President who makes every choice perfectly, or makes everyone happy–it's impossible. But I agree–I am proud of my President.

9. elephantjournal says:

Kate Fields Bartolotta Love this. Stealing it. Blogging it unless you beat me to it, Speedy.
    Yesterday at 9:53pm · Unlike · 1
    Amy Ransom · 5 mutual friends
    So true! Folks are so quick to complain. This is a great hit of perspective. i am also borrowing this. :)
    Yesterday at 10:00pm · Like
    Waylon Lewis I got it from Ryan Van Duzer, another liberal patriot!
    Yesterday at 10:06pm · Like
    Waylon Lewis Relephant: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/obama-shut
    Yesterday at 10:07pm · Like
    Waylon Lewis And another list: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/09/time-to-su
    Time to support Obama. Why? Doughnuts, etc. http://www.elephantjournal.com
    Time to support Obama. Why? Doughnuts, etc.
    Yesterday at 10:08pm · Like ·
    Scott Keneally Obama DOES NOT "support states' rights on medical marijuana." at all. and as much as i dig the dude, and would rather have him than anyone i know in office, that one line makes me question many other "facts." know the facts: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obamas-
    Obama's War on Pot | Politics News | Rolling Stone http://www.rollingstone.com
    In a shocking about-face, the administration has launched a government-wide crackdown on medical marijuana
    Yesterday at 10:11pm · Like ·
    Waylon Lewis Scott, that's 1) such a silly thing to base your entire vote on. Mitt or Rick will go in the opposite direction. Fact is medical marijuana is a real, available thing, it's far easier to get than four years ago. 2) seriously, pot? That's our platform? I'm much more concerned about Supreme Court justices, Citizens United, the fact that Obama (like Dean before him) was lifted up by the grassroots, not funded by billionaires who just want more…christ, it's a long list, and I'm happy to go at it. Iraq. Osama bin Laden. Health Care for 30 million more Americans.

Yes, pot should be legal. I don't smoke it, but our prison system is a travesty and pot has been shown to be far safer than, say, cigarettes or alcohol. But to vote against a good man, a better man that we'll see in office for many years, most likely, because he hasn't made the GOP happy by being pro-pot enough for we liberals?

Merril, this is my Wall friend and if you want to doubt, do it like Scott–with some detail, and less ellipses.
    Yesterday at 10:25pm · Like · 2
    Colin Wiseman He did not save the world from financial collapse. How much American money has been paid into the European union to prop up the failing countries like Greece and Ireland? None I suspect.
    Yesterday at 10:25pm · Like
    Waylon Lewis Well, he saved Detroit, man. It's not his job to save the world, though many Dems and GOPers think it is.
    Yesterday at 10:26pm · Like · 4
    Kate Fields Bartolotta I think what bothers me the most is the visceral hatred people express. What ever happened to general respect for the office of the president? What ever happened to taking pride in what our leaders do right?
    Yesterday at 10:30pm · Like · 4
    Scott Keneally Waylon, I'm not basing my entire vote on it. Trust me, the man has my vote. If anything, I'm playing Devil's Advocate, because whoever made this sign, clearly doesn't know his/her shit. And when you pull one thread…
    Yesterday at 10:31pm · Like · 2
    Scott Keneally It just gives naysayers the opportunity to question everything on that list. Because if one thing is wrong, who's to say the rest isn't bullshit too. It'd be better if that note was airtight, ya know?
    Yesterday at 10:32pm · Unlike · 2
    Waylon Lewis Amen, Scott. I guess I'm biased, too, 'cause here in Boulder there's a pot shop on every corner, it's half the economy, and none of us saw that four years ago. That said, yah, we should put together our own airtight list.

I'd start with: has an incredible family and a real, strong, caring, kick-ass wife. Next?

10. elephantjournal says:

Scott Keneally I believe the man has done a TON of fantastic shit in three short years. There's just NO need to lie. The facts speak for themselves. Though I bet Tod Brilliant would disagree that he's done much at all. :)
    Yesterday at 10:36pm · Like
    Chris Christensen · 2 mutual friends
    ‎"Increased veterans' benefits very year [sic]"…What is this ''very year'' the author talks about? I'll investigate that one…
    Yesterday at 10:38pm · Like
    Josh Ellison · Friends with Ryan Van Duzer
    You got it right Scott. Nobody should post "facts" unless they can prove them all first.
    Yesterday at 10:43pm · Like
    Carolyn Barndt Also, this list seems geared toward convincing conservatives, because it refers to fewer regulations and more deportations like they're improvements!

The things progressives (who helped vote him in) are most upset about aren't all minor, piddly, unimportant details taken up by professional malcontents; they have to do with things like continued or even additional violations of basic civil liberties, Guantanamo, the fact that Obama's key economic advisers now were *major* players in the 2008 collapse…it's baffling, to say the least, for those of us who threw our weight behind Senator Obama and knocked on doors for him. We really invested ourselves. Maybe we don't understand how corrupt and entrenched DC really is, and how damn near impossible it is to bring anything but insiders in, or make significant changes given that Congress is subsidized by corporations…but we feel like we don't recognize the guy sometimes! Even his speeches are increasingly framed in terms set by conservatives: spending cuts, sacrifice, etc. I don't think I'll be able to vote for anyone else, but I can't honestly be a blanket cheerleader for him, either. No one can rightfully accuse me of being cool, I'm squarer than your grandma, but I may be a trifle jaded.
    23 hours ago · Unlike · 6
    Josh Ellison · Friends with Ryan Van Duzer
    Politics aside- I think we all can agree that Ryan Van Duzer is a pretty cool guy.
    23 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    Dran Didjin'stein · 2 mutual friends
    Okay, Obama is a big relief after Bush and better than any GOP candidate. I know, I know, I know…… In a nutshell, he's is not good enough for the situation at hand. He is basically doing what Bush did in so many ways. If you need proof of this, you have not been paying attention.
    23 hours ago · Like
    Waylon Lewis I need proof of that, Dran. Yes, all presidents are working within checks and balances and the system, both as intended and not (read Citizens United, lobbyists).

But to say they're all the same is ridiculous.

And yes, I have been paying attention.
    23 hours ago · Like · 1
    Waylon Lewis Josh–Ryan is like all other cool inspiring sweet heroic guys—don't get got up in Duzer mania.
    23 hours ago · Like
    Josh Ellison · Friends with Ryan Van Duzer
    ‎@ Waylon, I said he was a pretty cool guy. Not that I was in love with him. hahaha

11. elephantjournal says:

23 hours ago · Like
    Robert Wolf · Friends with Jayson Gaddis and 24 others

That said, this list suffers from a huge credibility gap. To name a few:

~ "Wall Street Reform"? Such as?

In short: get real.
    23 hours ago · Like · 5
    Aminda R Courtwright can someone talk to me about his involvement with monsanto?

12. elephantjournal says:

Dran Didjin'stein · 2 mutual friends
    Waylon, I think you are quite a thinking, kind person from what I have read of yours over the past 6 months or so. My point is that we can't just give this next election to Obama. To see someone such as yourself promoting him without talking about his many negatives (signing indefinite military detention for US citizens, Guantanamo, aerial drone strikes and expanding global drone network, not going after Bush/Cheney for war crimes, lackluster Wall Street reform…….) is disturbing to me. I am just asking you to keep an open mind. I will try to do the same. Thank you for your time. Peace
    23 hours ago · Like
    Robert Wolf · Friends with Jayson Gaddis and 24 others
    Take a look at this link, Aminda:
    23 hours ago · Like
    Wendy Strgar maybe so… certainly not the change we had hoped for , but heads above the alternatives.
    22 hours ago · Like · 1
    Colin Wiseman Unless by "the world" is the same as "the world series" that doesn't contain oher countries? :D
    22 hours ago · Like
    Waylon Lewis Buddhists don't put much stock in 'hope.' What have any of us done to support President Obama against determined opposition? A "like" on facebook?
    21 hours ago · Like
    Waylon Lewis And now it's a blog, thanks to Kate. Plus, video: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/02/what-did-y
    This One Goes Out to All of Us Liberal & Conservative Obama Doubters. http://www.elephantjournal.com
    Video: A New Media Tour through Barack Obama's First Term.
    20 hours ago · Like · 1 ·
    Ashoka Mukpo sigh. the song begins. this is pretty irritating though, look how vague and jingoistic most of this shit is. obama has accomplishments but "rescued hostages." "health care reform" "wall street reform" "more deportations per year than Bush." what does that even mean…i'll prob vote for him but come on, this is the best people can do to tell me why i should? ugh
    20 hours ago · Like · 1
    Ashoka Mukpo ‎"He saved Detroit" LMAO… .http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/kids-count-report-michigan-detroit-poverty-kids_n_1228315.html … I don't blame Obama for this but if people start misrepresenting the state of affairs in our country just to rally around a politician it will get pretty upsetting for me
    Kids Count Report: Poverty Increasing For Michigan, Detroit Kids http://www.huffingtonpost.com
    An annual report examining the living conditions for children across Michigan fi…See More
    20 hours ago · Like · 2 ·
    Ashoka Mukpo ‎@Robert THANK YOU

13. elephantjournal says:

Robert Wolf · Friends with Jayson Gaddis and 24 others
    ‎"What have any of us done to support President Obama against determined opposition?"

That's a straw man. I haven't done a lot to support David Cameron, either, because most of the policies he promotes are damaging and counter-productive. Caroline Lucas, the one Green MP in the UK, has both my vote and my vocal support, because she tirelessly advocates sound, thoroughly-researched solutions to the genuine challenges facing the country.

Of course, just as in the UK, the stranglehold of capital on politics in the US makes it virtually impossible for genuinely progressive voices to be heard at the top levels.

So, Obama deserves some qualified respect for the moderate gains he's presided over. Given the compromises necessary for him to be elected in a political world in thrall to big business, he's done about as good a job as one could expect.

That's hardly a stance to inspire passionate support, however, nor grounds for liberal tubthumping that ignores the many genuine shortcomings of his administration.
    16 hours ago · Like · 3
    Aminda R Courtwright ‎@robert thanks. I think. I guess for me if we don't stop biotech most of this other crap isn't going to matter a hill of GMO beans. I can't get enthusiastically support anyone that isn't fighting that monstrosity with fervor.
    14 hours ago · Like · 1
    Waylon Lewis ‎Stephen Fenberg I need back up man…the haters are hating. Ashoka, you know many advised just saying "fuck it" to the auto industry? You know we made nearly all our money back on that bailout, super quickly? You know why Detroit is still doing so badly, right? Because the auto industry has suffered. Imagine if it were dead? LMAO, brother, no one's saying Detroit is doing fine. But if there's one man who's put his rep on the line for the lower and middle class, from healthcare through Detroit, well it ain't anyone other than Mr. Obama.
    12 hours ago · Like
    Waylon Lewis Ashoka, I agree on the poster. But the point is clear: look at what has happened. Intelligent folks like you, Robert etc can move beyond the platitudes and rough "facts" and see that there is a helluvalot to appreciate. No?
    12 hours ago · Like · 1
    Robert Wolf · Friends with Jayson Gaddis and 24 others
    Just to be clear, Waylon, I ain't hatin' on the dude. I'm totally prepared to acknowledge his good points.

I also think that, for all that he's doing a good job in a some ways, ignoring the negative aspects of his presidency (and there are some big 'uns) is dangerous.

Anyhow, I've said enough on this subject for today. Good vibes to ya.
    11 hours ago · Unlike · 2
    Ashoka Mukpo Yeah I mean the issue for me is that I can't think of one good reason to actually cheerlead for Obama. Hold your nose and vote, yeah sure. But let's just be honest, dude had a huge opportunity and he squandered it with this conciliatory "get the republicans on board with things they won't ever support" mentality, and his extremely poor communication skills. I'm glad the US auto industry still exists, I guess, but it's not like US auto workers are doing all that well right now and that's really what matters to me. Really the point is, that poster was dumb as hell, that's what I was reacting to at least.
    10 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    Waylon Lewis I agree on the poster. I just like the sentiment behind it…I think it's time for superior smart liberals who want a perfect president to do as Ashoka says, and stay smart but hold your nose.

For those like myself, I'll gladly cheerlead. I'm pretty proud of what he's done, with limited support (both by design of three branches and not by design—lobbyists, overuse of filibusters requiring overwhelming support to get anything done)
    10 hours ago · Like
    Ashoka Mukpo honestly man id rather see riots but thats just me
    10 hours ago · Like
    Noel Alexander McLellan Obama's definitely the only choice in the election, but I don't think he represents the level of change that people are really longing for. He's taken a little bit of a stand on environmental issues, but not one that represents the real shift we need to make a difference. Same for the economy and war.
    9 hours ago · Like · 2
    Waylon Lewis Noel, his administration has achieved more clean energy on public lands that any in history.

14. Katie says:

I'm constantly appalled at how so many Obama 2012 supporters are oblivious to what Obama has been doing. He was supposed to bring about "change". I'm not talking about what he had to deal with coming into office and how bad Bush had made it…and blah blah. I'm talking about bills that were signed. I'm talking about unconstitutional acts. I could go on for hours about all the horrible decisions he made while in office, but what stands out the most is the blatant disrespect for what this country stands for: LIBERTY and FREEDOM and INDEPENDENCE. I hope you have the courage and compassion to do some research and vote for someone that stands for our constitution and has the voting record to prove it.

• Saw the video your name linked to, Katie. Lots of things I like about Ron Paul. But too many that I don't to consider voting for him: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/20-reasons

• SQR says:

Ron Paul isn't going to work for me, either, though he does at least have a better position on military and constitutional freedom issues. If a socially liberal yet fiscally conservative candidate who doesn't try to shred the bill of rights under the guise of keeping us "safe" ever runs, I'll bet a lot of donkeys (and some elephants) jump ship to vote for him or her.

• Ozz says:

Ron Paul fails totally on eco-issues, as well as in a number of other areas (although to his credit, he's the only quasi-literate economic thinker among the current crop), but he is seriously one fascinating case to study, especially for folks who consider themselves liberal – in the sense of offering up something of a mirror. Check out these links and challenge your thinking (i.e. get outside the echo chamber – it will do you good):

Gleen Greenwald: Progressives and the Ron Paul fallacies: http://www.salon.com/2011/12/31/progressives_and_

Matt Stoller: Why Ron Paul Challenges Liberals http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/12/matt-stoll

• SQR says:

Actually, I think Ron fails on economic issues as well. Since he doesn't seem to understand a market economy and could barely answer questions in a coherent way in the last interview I saw, I'm looking for someone else.

• Beans McGrady says:

Actually RP understands the markets better than any of the other people running. He is however a terrible talker. Really has very little charisma, but he does understand economics. If he could talk, very few would have a good argument against him

15. Ozz says:

Robert Wolf said:

"Which is precisely why I think putting out a poster trumpeting such dubious 'achievements' is counter-productive. It's hardly gonna convince die-hard Republicans, and at the same time it alienates genuine progressives. If his accomplishments are worth touting, let them speak for themselves rather than wrapping them in risible hyperbole. "

Couldn't agree more. Most if not all of the 'accomplishments' listed are either dishonest, disingenuous, misleading, or simply not accomplishments to be proud of (unless you number yourself among the religious right). As such, such posts do more harm than good, and only drives ever deeper the sense of cynicism about our political and electoral systems.

One of the really attractive things about Buddhism to me has always been the Buddha's Platonic injunction to 'see things as they are' – free from delusion, denial, ignorance. This post and many of the comments after it make me realize just how far we have to go in this regard, when otherwise well-intentioned, kind and loving people like those in this community can support a mass murderer and war criminal (by Nuremburg/International Law standards) for re-election on the basis of the kinds of flimsy claims like those in the picture above. It's my view that our entire political system depends on such willful delusion and denial. I would hope that this election might be the one to open some eyes, at least in communities that take seriously principles like ahimsa, not to mention injunctions to see things are they are rather than as we wish them to be.

16. doug says:

Thanks Kate. I liked this. All politics are a propaganda war of sorts. We can't let our desire for a perfect leader get in the way of our support for our current good leader. Progressive minded folks need to stop eating their own and pull together as a team behind Prez Obama… unless they want a dumb-ass, heartless, right-wing extremist running the show for the next eight years.

17. Sue says:

Excellent Face Book Photo (poster) of President Obama, but in the 4th to the last line VERY should be EVERY :)

18. Brian Culkin says:

Barack Obama and John Friend although extremely different represent in many ways the complete cluelessness of the Yoga community in each their own perfect way.

This post is not only one of the more unintelligent posts I have seen on ele — virtually every point is a generalized, meaningless number from some fabricated government statistic.

• Robert says:

Ha! I'm amused that you say that, Brian ~ the response I did send to Kate is titled "What do John Friend and Barack Obama Have in Common?".

• Brian Culkin says:

its funny Robert — I noticed that after I wrote my comment and then read it — although I liked your article I felt you were far too nice.

I think I am going to write a post about this above Obama propaganda? what do you think? :)

• Robert says:

Did you read the article on my own site, or has it been published on ele?

And yeah, I probably was too nice! I would have liked to really take this poster to task, but some of the claims it makes are about matters I’m not familiar enough with to assess accurately, and some of the misconceptions contained within it are so huge that I barely knew where to start.

If you do, I’ll be interested to read what you have to say.