Bill Maher takes on KONY 2012.

Via on Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Smug-in-Chief weighs in.

Rather weakly, I think.

Sure, awareness is just the first step. But KONY 2012, whatever its problems—and despite the public, videoed breakdown of its main man Jason Russell—did something every cause-focused non-profit in the world has been trying to do: make people care and donate about something complex and sad, in the interests of making the world a better place.

Whatever Invisible Children’s failings, the video was and is still the most popular cause video in history, and resulted in an explosion of interest and giving.

Video:

About Waylon Lewis

12 Responses to “Bill Maher takes on KONY 2012.”

1. Katie says:

The trouble is that it DID become so well known. Because it gained such fame – and then infamy, subsequent attempts to do something like that will be tainted. The next time someone tries to do something, no matter how good the cause, the reaction will be a sceptical "oh, but remember Kony 2012?"

2. Deb says:

I think he does a great job! Awareness is great but buying a bracelet or poster does NOTHING! Look up all of the wonderful NGOS that have been working in this area of the world and donate to them. OR stop supporting US companies that purchase CONFLICT MINERALs!!

3. @philet309 says:

@Waylon Lewis, of course the video "resulted in an explosion of interest and giving" — to Invisible Children! These people are frauds. Kony is not, and has not (for years) been, a threat to the Ugandan people; but the Ugandan government has. Talk about creating a web of deception. Just because Invisible Children successfully manipulated donors and made millions for themselves with a video that was, at the very least, outdated, only means they were successful criminals. They should be prosecuted, not revered. Their pretext for getting money was to create awareness about Kony, when they knew he was long gone. The real story here is that the Ugandan government, who we've supported for years, are oppressors of their own people. The Ugandan people do not want our military intervention, which Invisible Children have also called for. But, just like another brutal government we once supported – Iraq under Saddam Hussein – we will likely be sending even more troops in their soon, despite the wishes of their people, to track down that evil warlord, Kony … just before we secure our share of their oil.

• robertwolf681 says:

You lost me here: "just like another brutal government we once supported – Iraq under Saddam Hussein". American troops (and troops of other nationalities) invaded Iraq, captured Saddam, and destroyed the regime he presided over. How is that supporting him, and how does it relate to the situation in Uganda?

• elephantjournal says:

I'm with you overall, Robert, but we did support Saddam actively in the 70s/80s I think?

• robertwolf681 says:

Ah, maybe so. Before my time, I'm afraid (or, at least, before much in the way of political awareness on my part).

• Sue559 says:

I agree with every god damn thing you said. Its a breath of fresh air when someone actually knows what they are talking about. Robert, it has everything to do with Uganda. First it was Iraq, Egypt, Libya, and looks like it might be Iran soon..then possibly Uganda..guess what they all have in common..OIL!!! Uganda has more oil then Saudia Arabia. I would encourage you to do some research but don't get it from the western media.

• Sue559 says:

Philet309 your a smart man and I wish I knew more people like you. Keep speaking your mind and the truth!

4. robertwolf681 says:

The video's OK, it just doesn't say much. It's a cheap shot.

I don't pretend to know the full story, but I'm not prepared to dismiss the cause until I've seen strong evidence that it's bogus (admittedly, I'm not yet ready to donate to it either).

The guys at Invisible Children did take the time to respond in-depth to the criticisms levelled at their campaign, and that wins them a few points from me.

• elephantjournal says:

Yup. We covered the criticism, and their responses, in the above link under "problems." Agree.

• robertwolf681 says:

Thanks, Waylon. Obviously Jason Russell's sad and extraordinary antics leave me less willing to defend them. Oh well.

5. [...] find it too easy to speak of the starving children in Africa, AIDs in Africa, even KONY 2012. We can quickly describe a picture of Africa, whether it resembles The Last King of Scotland or The [...]