What & when is Earth Hour?
Today (Saturday), March 31st 2012, our tired old planet is unplugging at 8:30 p.m., your local hour. In other words: wherever you are, join the movement and turn off the lights.
With almost 150 countries and over 5400 cities switching off all non-essential lighting, Earth Hour is the largest environmental mass-participation event in history. Major landmarks, buildings and individuals will catch the 60-minute darkness wave, spreading all over the world like a good pandemic.
Will you go dark with me?
An initiative led by the World Wildlife Fund, Earth Hour started in Sidney in 2007 and, over the past four years, it’s become a global phenomenon, meant to raise awareness for the environment and climate change as well as to support sustainable action. For detailed information, check out the Earth Hour FAQs.
Top seven simple pleasures to enjoy by candlelight.
1. Have a conversation – a glass of wine or cup of tea will add some flavor. Tell stories, jokes, remember. Enjoy the good old pleasure of talking and the bigger, ancient privilege of listening. Has it been a while since you’ve looked someone in the eyes?
2. Eat dinner. (Cook it first, don’t microwave). With a lover, a friend, your dog also counts. But most importantly, don’t forget yourself. When is the last time you ate without watching or reading a screen; or without listening to anything other than heartbeats in original version?
3. Sing a song (or play a non-electrical instrument). Before wires and music boxes, there was a beautiful mind that, after silencing all distractions and staying present, it turns into a living sponge. You’ll remember every note.
4. Play board games. You know, those fun things people used to do in living rooms after dinner, before switching from Real Life to Pixel Screen.
5. Take a bath. Stay transparent, fluid and open, like water.
6. Go for a night walk or bike ride. If not raining, maybe you’ll be able to see the stars for the first time in ages.
7. Love someone with your lips and body. (Preferably your heart is in the room, as well).
Why celebrate Earth Hour?
What are you doing at 8:30 p.m.? Got candles?
~ Like elephant green & elephant enlightened society on Facebook. ~
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 569 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,560 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 906 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 7,128 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 708 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 6,118 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,387 share