Life Instructions from a 95-year old.

Via on Mar 25, 2012

(Photo via Sodahead)

I’ve always wanted to have a grandfather.

But due to unexpected life shortcuts, both of them were gone long before I could sit on their lap and play with their white beard and hear stories from when the world didn’t use to end.

Now, my imaginary grandfather looks a lot like the one in the picture. In the long, winter nights, we sit by the fireplace and in the summer, we occupy our swinging chairs in the porch, with a blanket of stars over our heads. And he says all these simple, breathable things to me, hoping that I at least get to do some of them, so when I’m 95 I can laugh like that, with no teeth.

Caught in my 21st century, postmodern ADD, it doesn’t seem like I’m listening… but deep down, my tired heart is taking notes.

(Via Tumblr)

“I don’t believe in aging. I believe in forever altering one’s aspect to the sun.”

~ Virginia Woolf

~ Like elephant culture & elephant health & wellness on Facebook. ~

Desktop/Tablet banner

About Andrea Balt

Co-Founder / Editor in Chief of Rebelle Society, Wellness Alchemist at Rebelle Wellness & Creativity Curator at Creative Rehab. Unfinished book with a love for greens, bikes and poetry; raised by wolves & adopted by people; not trying to make art but to Be Art. Holds a BA in Journalism & Mass Communication, an MFA in Creative Writing & a Holistic Health Coach degree from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition®. In her work she tries to reflect the wholeness of the human experience by combining Art & Health + Brains & Beauty + Darkness & Brilliance into a more alive, unabridged and unlimited edition of ourselves. She is also on a quest to reinstate Creativity as one of our essential Human Rights to (hopefully and soon) be included in the UN Declaration. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and sign up for her Monthly Stroke of Renaissance.

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

26 Responses to “Life Instructions from a 95-year old.”

1. Mamaste says:

Beautiful, as always, Andrea….<3. ~Mamaste

2. karlsaliter says:

I miss having a dog!
    Wait there's an algebra smiley?
    Just posted to Elephant Spirituality on Facebook.

3. Robert says:

Printing this out and posting on the refrigerator – and removing everything else.

4. Thorsvin says:

But what about cats? So much better than dogs!

5. Valerie Carruthers ValCarruthers says:

Another hot pairing from Andrea's interstellar matchmaking service. ;)

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage.

Valerie Carruthers
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

6. Eric says:

"marry only for homemade brownies" (just sayin…. :)

7. [...] doesn’t count for much unless you’re willing to do your small part to leave our children—all of our children—a better world. Even if it’s difficult. [...]

8. @yogatwit says:

Thank you, I liked that.

9. [...] moment and live everyday how you want to. Read a novel, sit in the sun, sweat, stare into the eyes of someone you love and really look, get butterflies, do things you love. Life is [...]

10. [...] Wave at kids on school buses… Live your life as an exclamation, not an explanation. Source Tags: family & education funny grandfather life life instructions life manual old man old-age [...]

11. oz_ says:

Minus 'wear polished shoes' – accepting all the others. Thx Andrea – superb list to review from time to time…

12. Janet Stapleton says:

Anyone seen “Tangled”? This gentleman HAS to Be the inspiration for the Cupid character!!!!! Pretty great advice he gives too!

13. Bridget says:

FYI: this list is pulled from Life's Little Instruction Book by H. Jackson Brown Jr. (http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Little-Instruction-Book-Observations/dp/1558538356). The whole book is worth a read.

14. brianna says:

i read this once online and then forgot what it was called… i just spent i don't know how long looking for it, and then a half hour reading it.

15. ankiss34 says:

Wonderful list! I love getting wisdom from older adults. They can teach us so much.

16. blong says:

This is a list that requires frequent rereading. It also makes me want to visit my grandfather… He is 95. ROADTRIP!