“You can hate PETA, but this is f**king bullshit.”

Via Waylon Lewis
on Mar 17, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

Does this still go on?

Okay, Alec, you got me. The best video I’ve ever seen on this subject.

With thanks for the heads up to Reddit.

“Break its spirit.”

YouTube Preview Image

Alec Baldwin: Boycott Circuses That Use Animals

Actor and animal defender Alec Baldwin describes the sad plight of elephants who are torn from their families and forced to perform grueling tricks in the circus.

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

82 Responses to ““You can hate PETA, but this is f**king bullshit.””

1. SwamiHenderson says:

2. AlanZ says:

Thanks for posting. This is tragic.

3. Jill says:

Disgusting humans who can treat animals this way.

4. heather says:

So sad. parents need to educate their kids young why to avoid a circus. Go see CIrque Du Soleil. its people only.

5. Neil Ringrose says:

I want to cry – and then do something about this…

6. Julie says:

Yes, this video is so well put together. And all of the behind the scenes documentation in this video was gathered by Peta. I wish other animal activist would quit hating Peta, because they do so much great work for the animals.

7. Nathan says:

Why is there no regulation of these types of "entertainers" this would not happen on the set of a movie? Why is this any different?

8. Earth Muffin says:

Sharing.

9. Sarah Kemp says:

You can ask your congressmen/women to make your state elephant-free. This would ban Ringling Bros and other performance groups that use elephants and other wild animals from performing in your state. AND, it might make way for some real talented individuals to fill your local venues. Like Cirque du Soleil, Yo-Yo Ma or Justin Bieber (hehehe)

10. You bet Peta sucks, but you have to give credit where credit is due. And it's a shame so many seem to be just learning about this issue, I've been fighting against animals in circuses for 25 years. Well, better late than never, so much needs to be done, and I'd start with boycotting and kick it up from there. And spread the word!

11. Scott Rubel says:

You cannot teach these people things. All you can do is boycott what they sell and hope they all get cancer and die.

12. Rose says:

Across Canada in the regional municipalities we have a bylaw that does not allow any circus performers or animals to put on a show. They will not receive any permits or accomodation needed to help them. If they enter our municipality then they are escorted out by police. That's all people have to do is pressure their local towns and government representatives and create bylaws to prohibit this type of behavior.

13. Colleen says:

This makes me sick. Rose, as a Canadian, I'm delighted to hear that our country enforces a bylaw that denies such circuses an audience. The Ringling Brothers organization should be tried for animal abuse and these beautiful elephants put into loving sanctuaries for the remainder of their days. It is my prayer that there is hope they may be given the opportunity to heal their broken spirit.

14. Diana says:

When will human beings realize that they reap what they sow???

15. Since seeing these animals in the wilds of africa years ago, I find it disgusting to see any of them in the confines of a circus or zoo.

16. Keith says:

Tragic as it is, the sad part is people going & paying for these animals to be tortured. Stop going & end the demand….

17. Mike says:

So sad, I would like to go to the circus and hunt down these trainers and poke them with shock stick and then tie them down on all fours with a chain

18. ItsjustMe says:

Not a fan of PETA but less of a fan of this abuse…boycot the circus.

19. Boycott the circus!!!!

20. Subdude says:

Boycott the circus, open season on elephant trainors and handlers. I'd like to get one and keep him in my basement where his screams can be heard. If you thought what you saw in Alecs video you wouldnt see mine.

21. Laila Andre says:

How sad, how tragic – it makes me cry to think this goes on day after day. I am so angry that I could wish a gruesome death on all the handlers and the people who allow this to happen. Surely everyone knows who works and performs in this circus? And what of all the other large animals? Tigers, lions, horses – do they endure the same treatment – I bet they do! Shame on you all who know about this and many thanks to PETA and Alec Baldwin. We should all join this boycott.

22. J says:

PETA Kills so many animals . They are a kill shelter , study the facts on this group of hypocrites . This info is out there . If you donate to PETA than you hate animals . By the way when was the last time a PETA activist threw fake blood on a man wearing leather shoes ? Only women that is their main targets. A wolf was tortured and killed recently in Idaho where was PETA ? They are cowards and fear men especially hunters .

23. Danna Goltz says:

Thanks for the wonderful article, I was searching for details like this, going to check out the other posts.

24. […] Cruelty. This video has cemented my plans to no longer attend our local zoo until they cease to use bullhooks on their […]

25. Mike says:

This sickens me!!!!!

26. Leslie says:

I feel sad even when I go to the zoo. Those animals NEVER look happy.

27. cruelestshowonearth says:

this is why i hate america.

28. nancy says:

Cruelty to animals must be stopped.

29. Disgusting.

What can we do to help stop this?

30. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hell yeah, Alec. Hell yeah.

31. eva says:

What a lack of consciousness! I hope everyone sees this video, and I'll certainly never go to a circus that uses animals!

32. Jonathan David Kane says:

Hi Waylon. A friend posted this link on my wall. Thank you for sharing this very important issue. Please see the film How I Became an Elephant. It deals with this issue and the international trade of elephants in Asia. Very informative. http://howibecameanelephant.com/

33. Dee says:

Remember also the torture of TN. walking horses and how they are trained for that unnatural gait.

34. Heather says:

Thank, thank you for posting this…That is why Dasara and many of the other festivals in India are also problematic. However, from what I understand the trainers who travel long distances and sleep in unfavorable conditions are also suffering. Not that this makes up for it at all……I have a problem with attending these festivals which are traditional and cultural but still have unwarranted animal cruelty connected to them.

35. Tracy says:

It's ironic that I've always been the activist, but my laid-back hubby is the one who had to tell me about this as I had no idea! I vividly remember my trip to the circus as a little girl, but I'm proud to say that I've never gone since, nor have our children and they know why. We don't go to Sea World anymore either. I'll keep spreading the word and hope that others will boycott for these reasons as well.

36. […] congratulations to Alec Baldwin from the Yogi Muse. May you both find happiness as you embark on your journey down a long and […]

37. Aes says:

Causes like these can be helped without supporting PETA. Anyone who has done proper research would likely lose favor of the organization. They spend the majority of their funding on advertising, and only a vast minority on any proactive action taken to help animals, and are also affiliated with a few domestic terrorist organizations, and are known to kill healthy, adoptable pets who are unlucky enough to end up in their custody. At the end of the day they are an animal rights organization, their ultimate goal is for animals to have the same rights as people and live freely among our societies. Pets wouldn't be allowed, neither would eating meat. It's a radical, extremist view riddled with duplicity. Animal rights and animal welfare are two different causes, peta draws some attention to animal welfare, but unlike animal welfare shelters and organizations, does little to actually ensure proper care is given to all animals in need. This is why they oppose no-kill shelters, support banning and mass-killing of dogs based on breed, and kill most animals who end up in their care. PETA is just as dangerous as this Circus to the welfare of animals, if not more.

38. margaret says:

Boycott the circus. Absolutely. But do not advocate violence upon the trainers in return. It is not the way to peace. The anger you feel toward them will not persuade them to stop. Anger is so easy to fall into, so tempting, but it won't get the message across. A wink is as good as a nod to a blind man. There must be a way to educate these people.

Thank you, Alec Baldwin, for being the voice of this message. We need more celebrities to endorse under recognized causes. That is how the message seems to get out. Thanks.

39. @omaxjo says:

The guy does Citibank commercials. Anybody? Anybody? Anybody think that a great portion of his protest is artifice?

40. MAURA says:

I AM ABSOLUTELY NEVER GOING TO THE CIRCUS

41. Brigitte says:

Powerful. Beyond words. I spent some time with elephants while I was in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Elephants are incredibly emotional and quite brilliant. I also witnessed the mother/baby bond first hand… it's truly magnificent and unbreakable.
    Elephants feel, love and laugh just like we do.

Thank you for sharing this. Heartbreaking, yet so important.

42. Stacie says:

Thank you EJ for posting this. I just shared it on http://www.facebook.com/sunlightyoga and on twitter: @sunlightyoga

43. Mary says:

I had no idea that this cruel training went on. I am sickened by it.

44. Denn says:

Any of you guys own cats, that is pretty tragic too.

45. 258cinnamongirl says:

Very eye-opening. I've heard that the circus life is a difficult one, yet people chose it. Animals, however, do not have a choice, and it is an infinitely more horrible existence. They have started giving elephant rides at a flea market I pass by. It broke my heart to see kids riding those poor magnificent creatures. There are so many other forms of entertainment that do not include animal cruelty. Help spread the word…

46. Heather Grimes says:

I feel like I'm going to vomit.