Today is the Day You Will Start to Wake Up.

Via on Apr 29, 2012

It’s Sunday.

Most of us don’t do anything much on Sunday. Sunday is relaxing. Coffee and the paper. Farmer’s Market. Maybe a picnic or a hike. Maybe a few errands. Nap. Play outside. Go to a movie if it’s rainy. All of that is wonderful. But today, today is different.

Today is the day.

Today is the day that you will decide whether you are going to live your life and be in it, or whether you are going to sit back and watch it go by.

Today is the day that you will look out at that bit of dandelion fluff floating on the breeze and know that you can either be that bit of fluff and float through life only to wake up right before it’s over—or you can be the breeze.

{You can be a mighty wind.}

Today is the day that you will sit up, get up, go out and do something that changes the shape of someone else’s day.

Today is the day that you will tell the truth.

Today is the day that you will do something that’s been sitting in the pit of your stomach, begging to be done. You’ll do it—it will scare the hell out of you—but you will do it and keep doing it.

Today is the day that you will tell someone you love them.

Photo Courtesy of Flickr.

Today is the day that you will shut off the television and read something important, think something important—and for God’s sake do something important.

Today is the day you will stop texting, tweeting and looking at Facebook and go look someone in the eye and have a conversation you’ve been putting off.

Today is the day you will make art with your camera, with your words, with your body, with your voice.

Today is the day you will start to wake up.

How do I know it’s going to be today?

It’s always today. Whenever you read this—it’s right now. We only have today.

{Don’t wait until tomorrow.}

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is the strongest girl in the world. She is the love child of a pirate and a roller derby queen. She hails from the second star to the right. She doesn't know how to behave with all the apples and ibexes. She doesn't suffer from her eight million freckles, she loves them! Like a rolling stone, Kate gathers no moss. Kate loves kale, being barefoot, Dr. Seuss, singing too loudly, gallivanting, palindromes, blackberries and has far too many books for her own good. When she's not writing, you can find her practicing yoga, running in the woods, playing with her kids, devouring a book, planting dandelions, changing the world and doing her dishes. Kate does not play the accordion. She is a massage therapist, writer and a compassionate friend to all. This year Kate aspires to finally give up on learning to knit and will instead spend that time putting a little bit more of her heart on the page. Connect with Kate on Facebook and Twitter

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

32 Responses to “Today is the Day You Will Start to Wake Up.”

1. Charles says:

Awesome.

2. ValCarruthers says:

Whooooshhh! Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage.

Valerie Carruthers
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

3. Shawna says:

This is great! Today IS the day. Today is the day I picked up a book at Chapters called 'Desire to Inspire'. Today is most definitely the day. Great post Kate! Great way to finish off my Sunday.

4. Kelsie says:

"for God's Sake"

5. juliahelenrice0110 says:

Today was the day I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get 3 sheets of 4 feet by 8 feet gator board across three city blocks and up 4 flights of stairs because my ambitions are bigger than the trunk of my car, the elevator in my building or the walls of my studio. Today was the day I ended up with one arm covered in paint up to the armpit and a headache from turpentine fumes. I whacked a hole in my written word wall piece with a saw as I was trying to create stakes for an outdoor artwork. Today was certainly the day – I don't regret a minute of it but seizing the day is exhausting and I'm going to bed.

6. “Today is the day that you will help someone who can’t or won’t ever help you back. And you won’t tell anyone—because that’s not the point. The point isn’t earning yourself a karma merit badge. The point is digging in in big and small ways to make it better.” Amen!

And today really is every day- sometimes more excited, and other times dragging ourselves to making that conscious decision every day.Thank you for such an inspiring message!

BTW- I love your bio! (Totally stagnant with ideas for my own. LOL)

7. You are amazing, Kate! xo

8. boudi says:

dear Kate, you have the absolute best profile i have layed eyes on. Makes me smile when i read it. good article. thanks

9. Shann says:

Today is the day my family celebrates my husband landing his "Dream" job after months of searching and lots of closed doors. Just before Easter he contacted the owner of a company that he wanted to work for/with and asked for an interview. The company was not hiring. They were not planning to add a new sales position. The owner was so impressed with my husband's passion, experience, and personality that he created a new position for him! It's never too late to live your truth, rock your passion and revel in your true calling.

10. Bill Eldredge says:

Beautiful! I love the girl with dandelion photo just as much. Is it available as a print anywhere?

11. [...] have to become a Buddha. Becoming a Buddha is the art of questioning everything that is accepted by the society. It is the art of breaking the [...]

12. Denradiva says:

Thanks for waking me up to my life!

13. Paige says:

This is very inspirational and I absolutely adore the photo.

For me, today is the day that I will do something for myself because I feel it is healthy for ME and not be bothered because others object.

Thank you for this, and I love the bio!

14. Kim :) says:

Thank you. Inspired at 6am in the morning

15. Lea says:

Gosh I love love LOVED this, it's going up in the house for all to see (& act on) and on my work desk.

16. [...] do it now, do it now, do it now. [...]

17. [...] the same place again and again, and usually not where we need to be. Take a breath. Open your eyes. Wake up a little more than you were a few minutes ago. Walk backwards a bit and shake some sense into yourself. And if, like me, you find you’ve [...]

18. emjay says:

Thank you for another great article Kate! Your writing always resonates with me.

Thank you for your inspirational words that remind us of the things we already know and thank you for the reminders that this is the life we get and we get to make and create it. Right here. Right now.

It's a rainy Sunday making me want to stay in bed, but last night I had a big night of revelation and I'm not going to let that go to waste. I'm going to make sure I take advantage of today and not let shyness/anxiousness/what others think of me get in the way. Thank you!!