To eat or to have sex or maybe both, that is the question.
~ Not Shakespeare
We are born out of sex, we eat to stay alive, we grow and rediscover sex. If you are what you eat and if you sex up what you are, then food and sex are necessary siblings.
Sex needs blood. Food builds blood.
Food is primary. Sex is elementary.
Sex is ecstasy. Food is delight.
Food is contemplation. Sex is meditation.
Food is not just food, just like sex is not just sex, or you, just you. Nothing is an island. Whatever came first, the chicken or the egg, food or sex, you or I, here’s the current order of events:
You exist (around others)—You nurture yourself (and others)—You enjoy yourself (and others).
Food is a world, sex is a planet and you’re the story. All of your parts are created equal.
So, whether you choose to be a sex machine or a nun/monk, or however active you choose to be about your sex life—as long as you remain human—your sexuality is a fact, and, like all facts, it needs to be nurtured.
“You can’t just eat good food. You’ve got to talk about it too. And you’ve got to talk about it to somebody who understands that kind of food.” ~ Kurt Vonnegut
Because, just like food is a conversation with your body, sex is a conversation with another body.
So what’s for dinner, darling?
1. Avocados. Give me anything avocado and I’ll turn it into bliss. To those who ditch avocados because they’re “too fatty”, let me tattoo this on your fridge door:
Not all fats are evil. What’s wrong with us is called “unhealthy fats” or “the lack of healthy fats”.
Avocados are packed with healthy, unsaturated fats that keep your arteries clean and your blood flowing to all the right places.
In fact, men suffering from underlying heart disease, are also more likely to experience erectile dysfunction.
But hey, if you don’t believe me, take it from the Aztecs (some of the strongest, smartest and healthiest warriors in history), who referred to avocadoes as… testicles.
Another benefit you get from fatting up on avocadoes is a lot of Vitamin E, which (gently) invites your sex hormones to take over and stimulate your sexual response.
2. Leafy greens. Broccoli, arugula, Swiss chard, kale, Brussel Sprouts… They’re high in minerals (calcium and magnesium, impatient to be absorbed) and pretty much all the essential nutrients you can imagine. They purify your blood, and make it flow like it means it.
3. Bananas. Let’s be adults. Bananas are a Potassium Oasis, a mineral necessary to build muscle strength—and muscles are… you know, those things that contract during an orgasm. So, even if you said no to orgasm, you can still use you banana strength for other types of workouts.
4. Chocolate. Skip the sugar and keep it dark (at least 70% cocoa) to experience its full power.
Chocolate contains a stimulant—phenylethilamine, if you’re fluent in science—that gives you a natural high and releases the same endorphins triggered by sex. It’s like opening a door to a sunny day and saying: Yes! I think I’m ready to go for a walk!
It also increases your overall sensitivity, making your skin fully receptive to the slightest touch.
5. Maca. Some call it the “Natural Viagra”. It’s one of the most powerful medicinal plants available. Originally from Peru, this magic root tops the list of the so-called superfoods.
It acts as a strong libido enhancer, helps regulate hormones both in men and women and improves overall sexual function, among other amazing properties. It usually comes in powder form and it tastes like a strange, moon-dust cookie dough. You can add it to smoothies, juices, desserts… or take it as a supplement.
6. Strawberries & other berries. First of all, they are red and, according to recent experiments, red is subconsciously sexy (to most of us, consciously too). Secondly, they are high in folic acid, an essential B vitamin that prevents birth defects and keeps your arteries clean and clear.
They’re also high in antioxidants, which protect your blood from free radicals (chemical leakage interfering with your natural hormone production). But I’m sure that, based on deliciousness alone, you’re already converted to Berryism.
7. Citrus (oranges, kiwis, pomegranates) and Peaches. Other than antioxidants and folic acid, they’re high in Vitamin C, a strong libido booster. Vitamin C increases sperm counts and keeps your stuff alive and moving.
8. Celery. According to Alan Hirsch, M.D., author of Scentsational Sex,
“When you chew a stalk of celery, you release androstenone and androstenol odor molecules into your mouth. They then travel up the back of your throat to your nose… Once there, the pheromones boost your arousal, turning you on and causing your body to send off scents and signals that make you more desirable…”
Other than this sexy-scent production, celery is a detox food with great cleansing properties. It’s also filled with trace minerals, it lowers blood pressure and it contains silicon, essential to bone strength. (Funny fact: bones are 23% sodium, just like celery.)
9. Oatmeal and other gut-friendly, whole grains (brown rice, barley, etc.). Your gut is like your second heart in terms of body functions. What suits your gut, pretty much suits your heart and vice versa.
You know what else is also a mix of heart + guts + a
little bit lot of brain? Yep, love.
More scientifically speaking, whole grains like oatmeal, increase your testosterone levels and they provide L-arginine, an amino acid that reduces stiffness in your blood vessels, frequently used to treat erectile dysfunction.
10. Almonds. They’re rich in trace minerals, especially zinc, which is found to increase libido and sexual desire.
Movie date tonight? Forget the popcorn. Snack on almonds instead.
“Essentially, what’s good for your heart is good for better sex” Steven Lamm, MD, NY School of Medicine, reminds us.
So, when in yummy sexual doubt, just remember what the Father of Medicine said, over 2,000 years ago and connect the dots.
“There is one common flow, one common breathing, all things are in sympathy.” ~ Hippocrates
~ Like elephant food, elephant sexy & elephant wellness on Facebook. ~
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 612 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 3 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,069 share Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 1,008 share Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 2,005 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,278 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,392 share If you Want Him, you must Claim Him. 770 shares