Via on May 29, 2012
Photo: Michael Julian Berz

If I am going to act like a goddess, I want a man who acts like a god.

Yet all this talk lately of the goddess and the Divine Feminine seems like new-age wishful thinking, a fantasy archetype with as much to do with real life as Superwoman or the Fairy God Mother.

couple

While goddess propagandists promote the unilateral concept of a spiritually elevated womanhood—strong but supple, decisive and nurturing, wild yet wise—glaringly absent is a call to the Sacred Masculine counterpoint. Women can forever rally around each other, cheerleading new heights of intuitive and open-hearted power, but without the cooperation of menfolk stealing their own fire from the gods, we are preaching to the sistah choir.

Bottomline? Organizing a spiritual revolution as women without inviting men to the front lines with us means we are orchestrating a collective reframe with only half the available power. Real change means humanity—yes both genders—opts for the cosmic upgrade to Divine Class together.

So, on behalf of the X chromosome, here is my invitation to mortal men who wish to dance as gods with wanna-be goddesses.

1. Show us your heroic heart. We know you want to save what is worth saving and to rescue this planet from peril. Wage a hero’s battle against poverty, needless strife, environmental ruin or whatever stirs your courageous heart. It might be a plan to increase your neighborhood safety, to improve your child’s education, to plant a vegetable garden in your backyard or to stop prejudice wherever you see it. The world needs your brave heart to take bold action.

2. Unsheathe your sword. As a man, you wield a sword of truth that can cut through cultural distractions to what really matters. The faster car, the better sports team, the bigger salary are all fine and dandy but on your deathbed, what unfulfilled vision will you regret the most? What risk did you back away from? What chance did you refuse to take? Before you die, be bold enough to discover and live your truth.

3. Dare to dream. Before you played the role of mortal, you (well, we) created the heavens and earth. What do you wish to create here and now? What beautiful order do you wish to bring forth from the chaos of this world. What implausible dream do you want to manifest for the greater good of all? It doesn’t have to be grand, like solving world hunger. It can be simple, like solving your child’s homework problem because you are dedicated to being a great father. All we care about is that something brings you alive with passion.

4. Steer the ship. Aim your life for a noble horizon. It’s not like there’s a second in command who will captain your destiny while you snooze on the sofa after too many beers and potato chips with the TV droning in the background. Get to the helm of your life and navigate by your own pole star, the true north of your heart’s burning desire. Tip: if you don’t know what port you’re headed for, no wind is favorable.

5. Bring your soul to work. Work for more than the mortgage and car payments—work because you find some measure of joy in your job. And if the job is just to make ends meet for now, then meet that employment with gratitude and a call to service. Know that it’s not what you do, but what you bring to what you do, that matters.

6. Care deeply. As a man, you might have been taught to feel lightly and think hard, to hold your emotions back, as if you can build a dam against what naturally must flow. But your caring is what this world cries for. The tender-hearted masculine is both wise and merciful. When you weep, you give women permission to be strong. When your heart breaks we want to know it so that we can heal it together.

7. Love fearlessly. Show us the way by standing firm when we are in a beautiful rage. Don’t run from our fury—after all it might contain magical wisdom. In the gale force of feminine anger, your calm is a powerful reminder that we are met and accepted by our beloved partner.

8. Ravish your woman. Every now and then, take her wholeheartedly, without apology. Press her against a wall and bind her with your kisses. Possess your goddess, oh great god that you are, and then let her possess you. Polarity is a potent nectar and the current runs both ways.

9. Slay your demons. We all have them, the dark part of our hearts, the crevices where our fear and loathing hideout. Notice what keeps you awake at night and stalk it. Hunt your darkness and drag it into the light for loving and healing.

10. Leave your mark. Don’t settle for a fleeting cameo in which your appearance in this kingdom is so quickly forgotten. What do you want your children to say about you? Your great-grandchildren? The greatest legacy is not the wealth you leave behind, but your heartfelt message that echoes forward to future generations.

Ultimately, this dance of the divine in both genders is not about lighting incense, chanting at kirtan, wearing white or even gathering in gender-specific goddess groups or men’s Iron John style movements designed to reclaim a lost chest-thumping masculine. Rather, it’s about being real 360-degree humans, embracing both the sacred and the mundane within ourselves and each other.

When men are willing to meet women heart-first and to live from that divine place of kingly wisdom, warrior courage and boy-like vulnerability, we women are given the gift of receiving all of you. And we are given permission to reveal all of who we are—the nurturing goddess, the juicy seductress and yes, even the nasty b*tch.

In the end, the call to a Divine Feminine and Sacred Masculine is perhaps just the simple yearning to get out of our crazy-busy heads and into our still-knowing hearts. As Rumi says, “I looked in Temples, Churches and Mosques. I found the Divine in my heart.”

Whatever the divine really is, let’s find it together.

Like elephant love on Facebook.

About Lori Ann Lothian

Lori Ann Lothian is a spiritual revolutionary, divine magic maker and all-purpose scribe. She writes about love, relationships, enlightenment and even sex, at Huffington Post, Good Men Project, Yoganonymous, Origin magazine, Better After 50 and on her hit personal blog The Awakened Dreamer. She is also a senior editor at the online magazine, The Good Men Project, where she founded Good for the Soul, a section dedicated to the exploration of men and spirituality. Lori Ann lives in Vancouver, Canada, with her husband and daughter, where she has learned to transcend the rain and surrender to mega doses of vitamin D. Tweet her at Twitter or friend her on Facebook at Facebook.

213 Responses to “A Call to the Sacred Masculine: Ten Daring Invitations from the Divine Feminine.”

1. [...] was inspired and challenged by the provocative elephant journal article A Call to the Sacred Masculine: Ten Daring Invitations from the Divine Feminine that recently made the viral rounds on [...]

2. Erik says:

This is the kind of new age, naive nonsense that sounds to me like bloated heterosexual ego fantasies that belong more to eHarmony than to anything truly sacred.

Particularly troubling to me is this desire to have men meet women "heart first." What? How condescending, and how blind to centuries and centuries and centuries of men who have brought (and bring) enormous heart to life and to the world. It's condescending, because it's like me sending an invitation to women to meet men head-first – as in, come on! have a brain!, and a sterling intellect.

And what about gay men? I have no interest in ravishing a woman. None. This whole "Sacred Masculine" stuff as it stands is just an ego extension of the gender wars, a power struggle between opposites. If you were actually writing about something sacred and divine, gender would not even enter into this, and it would read very differently. It would be a much wider and deeper vision, rather than this quite limited and insulting vision.

Lastly, virtually everything you've mentioned is through a vision of empowerment that is almost exclusively Heroic in nature. As broadly as that can be played out, it's still a limited view of life. It's 1 myth, 1 archetype, and a vision of a truly "sacred masculine" (or "sacred feminine") must reach much further and much wider and be far more encompassing of diversity and variety. It would move beyond the merely heroic and its desire to slay demons, "hunt" darkness, and shine light all over the place is almost the opposite of something sacred or divine, because the divine is a mystery. Going into the darkness and bringing light removes the mystery, blinds us further, and limits sacredness to what can be seen. Rather than hunting demons in the dark, maybe stop demonizing the dark. We live in a global world, 1/2 of which is always in darkness – non-demonic darkness. Step outside of all of the heroics, because that's the place to begin envisioning a "sacred masculine," and you'd really be onto something.

• Your points are fantastic and yes, of course this piece misses the mark for non-hetero unions. I wrote it from a hetero view for a hetero audience. To say however that this is not "sacred" because it addresses only the hetero-dynamic in the interplay of masculine and feminine, is to say that a piece of the puzzle is not valuable without the whole. Each piece matters–homo, hetero, androgyny, sexuality, celibacy, and more. But for this piece to to be inclusive of the gay dyanamic it would be a book, not an article that is aimed at one slice of the pie.

Yes, to your comment we need not demonize the dark. I was using language to be provacative and hyperbolic. You would be surprised at how non-dual I really am. :-) I also love the Jung quote on this, "One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." It's in that spirit I meant for the man to stalk his demons and to bring them into the light for loving and healing.

Again, your comments are received and duly noted with gratitude.

• Erik says:

Hi Lori,

Thanks for your response. The non-sacred part I mean isn't the hetero part, it's more that so much of the vision of "divine masculine" and "divine feminine" (not just in this piece, but in many other pieces I've read and heard from other people as well) are often built from the ground up, starting with the limited perspectives and simply exaggerating these qualities to make them sound divine. Rather than, for example, deeply exploring the divine first, really grasping the mysteriousness and magnitude of it, and then really grasping how difficult it is to squeeze all of that down into something that still retains that mystery and divinity. [Great poems do this best.]

I'm not a fan of the "everything is divine and each piece matters" style of approach when it just gets conceptual, "anything goes," and doesn't have room for discrimination and really grasping the divine nature of the different pieces… the different divinities all get wrapped up in the same thing, and it becomes broad, general, and lost in the crowd.

I like the Jung quote too, though I'm not sure how you read it and understand it. I don't hear it as bringing the light into the darkness. I hear it as recognizing the consciousness of the darkness, and that darkness has its own style of consciousness that is different than the light. It gets to stay dark, remain mysterious, and our work is to grapple with that and resist the urge to just shine light into it. If we shine light into it (like the Hero does), we don't get to see the dark (the mystery)… we see the light.

I believe we're in a period of so much change, and such dramatic change — and we're only at the beginning of it — that it's really good to not try to define everything too clearly right now. When I read the other comments from men, in response to your article here, I hear the lack of clarity and the uncertainty. I feel that myself quite often. But a first step might be to not try and reach for certainty too quickly – and to be OK with that (or not OK, in an OK-way, lol). Divinity never presents us with a whole lot of certainty anyway, and it might just be our work right now to accept the uncertainty, grapple with it, be frustrated, let it be mysterious and unknown (since our "knowing" right now is so fundamentally an ego style of knowing, desperate for light) and let it fire us up in a very different way than just taking the traditional gender issues and magnifying them into something "divine." Basically, grapple with what "divine" is really about before trying to tag "masculine" and "feminine" onto it.

3. Yogateacher says:

Number 8 is called rape. If anybody, including someone in a relationship with me, grabs me without apology I am gonna punch them,run away, and repot them.

Gender stereotypes suck. I’m with Erik on this one.

• I am still stunned that "ravish" means rape to some people…no where does number 8 say harm or force. "Press against a wall" and "bind with your kisses" is not a brutal approach, but rather a simple expression of ardor. But this reaction from some women tells me a lot about what I need to add in a longer explanation of each of the ten items, coming in a book soon.

4. Yogateacher says:

It says "without apology". If you are doing something and there is a question as to whether you would have to apologize, don't do it because it is wrong. This feeds a dangerous fantasy out of which too many of us have been victimized.

Sometimes I feel like we are just slipping backwards when I read this stuff. At the core of my "feminity", as you alluded to in another reply, there's a woman who will fight like rabid dog if you grab me up like that. Also at my core you will find a a multi-dimensional human being who likes others of the same ilk- as in folks that can't be pigeonholed. You know, i like hanging out not with he-man the effing barbarian, but real people with all the complexities and layers we come with as individuals…that is to say who we are when we allow ourselves to be free of prescribed roles and stereotypes.

• I realize I will need to write in more depth about the difference between archetypes and stereotypes–this piece is drawing on the former, not the latter, and makes a point to say 360-degree humans, not one-dimensional cartoons. The value in having your comments, and so thank you, is I can see where I make assumptions about how others will understand what I mean to say. It's a great help to me to hear from women who, like you, did not appreciate the article.

5. Martin says:

l agree we must use of sole to connect to the next level

• andrew says:

Martin, we connect with your inner thoughts and must jell on Wedensday when Venus passes the sun at 8.32, all people must do to gain the inner self

• Andrew says:

yes that is why all people connected will gain stronger urges on Wed and that will deminish as time goes on unless you open your direct openness

• Martin says:

is this why l feel a stronger movement and the willing to give out freedom powers to all l meet

6. James says:

are you 3 clowns members of some strang group or didnt you understand what Alrishi said, nothing to do with the movement of Venus, can some one else help explain the real meaning

7. Martin says:

that is not very nice and a lot of spelling errors, you need James to open your tsdeen thoghts and unwind to a higher level, you really sound like a salesman

8. George says:

you all sound like you are drinking something, and l dont mean coke, get a life

9. George says:

you all sound like you are drinking something, and l dont mean coke, get a life you really need to wake up, it has nothing to do with Venus on Wed

10. martin says:

we need to look at Ashar in regards to Venus passing the earth on Wed

11. Mark says:

l too have felt this movement, and wondered if it was only me, thank you for the enlightment

12. Andrew says:

I Still think that Mars has something to do with it
    Love Andy

13. Paul says:

Would someone fill me in?
    Paul Bellotti

14. Paul says:

I like to know if you guys can call me Re: special offer

15. Gerald says:

The Sacred Masculine embodies all Your eloquent invitations graciously to put forward his bold pursuit.
    He holds the vastness of Your creative energy and give it shape and form, leading the dance with Humanity as family.
    Nourish the Earth's Children to global awakening and parent the route for all their enlightenment.
    And nothing less… with warm unceasing Divine Love.

16. [...] put the divine feminine solely on females and the sacred masculine on people with male-sexed bodies only (as a couple of [...]

17. Dale Elson says:

While you make some interesting points, I do not accept your invitation. I am not a god, I am a man. I am, frankly, not really interested in what women want me to be. My passions to change/better/whatever the world are not generated on your behest – they come from within me. Asking me to change to fit what a woman wants is the opposite of masculinity – it is a an invitation to become an attractive lapdog.

My heart is either courageous or not, and trying to satisfy a woman does not bring forth true courage.
    My sword is a sword, because I'm not a character in a Harlequin romance, I am a man.
    Dare to dream?
    Bring your soul to work; let me get this straight – if I don't feel passionate about my dull but lucrative job, I should quit? Right. Because when the going gets boring, a husband and father quits.
    Care deeply – again, caring is either real or it isn't. Trying to care about something to please a woman is both foolish and dishonest.
    Beautiful rages do not exist. Rages are UGLY. Sure, yell at me. But your outpouring of negative energy has natural and inevitable consequences.
    Ravage your woman. No problem.
    Slay your demons. Excellent advice. Note that you have no part in this, because they are _my_ demons. And you can't handle them.
    Leave your mark. That is natural for a man. And not because he wants the adulation of family, friends, and a grateful nation. These are shallow things. This is like "preserve your honor;" a dangerous lie and deceitful paradigm. The true calling is to "make things better."

The point is that you do not seem to understand men. And this "god" you have designed is not truly a man, and very far from a hero, because he is a woman's vision of masculinity. No more than a character from a Harlequin Romance.

The life of a truly masculine man flows from within him as naturally, powerfully, and inevitably as heat & light from the sun. It needs no moon to call it forth, and no moonlight to show it how to blaze. The sun defines the day, not the moon.

• Dale–your points are good…some of them..this made me smile "Asking me to change to fit what a woman wants is the opposite of masculinity – it is a an invitation to become an attractive lapdog."…..

No. I am not asking any man to change. I am saying what a WOMAN's heart yearns for in her man. That is all. It's not a demand it is an invitation.

"if I don't feel passionate about my dull but lucrative job, I should quit? Right. Because when the going gets boring, a husband and father quits. "

"I _will_ steer the ship. We are the ship, if you are mine. Are you ready to be compassionately and lovingly ruled by a man? " –YES! Ruled, not the word I'd use. But a man who is strong enought to lean on. Nice.

NO….I clearly say that if the work if for money then it's not what you do that matters, but what you bring to what you do. I say in the end, it's not the job, but the man in the job….

"Beautiful rages do not exist. Rages are UGLY. " Jesus apparently raged in the temple at the money changers. Sometimes rage is not an attack (you f*cking a-hole" but rather an expression of truth…"I am ANGRY." You are wrong to put rage in the category of bad.

I could go on…what i want to say most, is thank you for taking the time to write your response. Every reaction or response is helpful in my understanding.

18. Jaina Proudmoore says:

I find this rather generalizing.
    For example (and the first thing that struck me when I read this): Not all women get turned on by dominating men..

Whats up with this obsession to divide human beeings up in categorizes, like men and women were two different specie? Both women and men need love and respect, and as for the rest (like sexual preferences) those are highly individual.

Sure, some of these advices are good, but they apply as much for women as they do for men.

Naturally there seems to be (in my opinion) a minimal gap, if any at all, between men and women. We are essentially the same. But some of us make that gap bigger, and make things more complicated than they need to be, by seeing women and men as two highly different forms of creatures.

Life is not not black and white, there is no such thing as feminin and masculine “energy” (explain how gays, transexuals, bisexuals, crossdressers etc etc etc fits into this oversimplified theory please?).

We are people, we are one. There is no need to create borders by treating people different depending on their skincolor, religion, gender, profession or whatever.
    Just treat people like you want them to treat you, and cut the generalizing crap. :)

Namaste.

19. Lady Uberbabe says:

Thank you. Beautifully written. I think it's essential to remember, and in remembering, to embrace – the sacred masculine in all of us, the divine feminine in all of us – for the sacred polarities of masculine and feminine run in every one of us, regardless of gender. And the call to rise – is a call to rise to the feminine and masculine – within us. It is through this inner union of our own masculine and feminine – that the divine heart that holds all hearts, grows.

20. Michael says:

the article was powerful in its being applicable to the subcurrent energies of masc/fem…and the comments section is amazingly insightful, expanding and broadening the message, bringing a clearer idea of its limitations and uses. thank you everyone for participating.

21. Michael says:

be whatever you are…yay! you did it!

22. Isobel Kobak says:

Appreciating the persistence you put into your website and in depth information you present. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed information. Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

23. Tony in Berkely says:

What a bunch of pretentious, narcissistic spiritual masturbation.

24. Don Juan says:

Written like a true woman, all emotion and no logic at work.

25. David says:

All this talk of 'The Divine' has no meaning if we do not truly understand what it actually is? If beyond the expresssion of word(s) then talking about it is not going to help/assist anyone.

If there is divinity then it would surely be seen in actions rather than words by philososphers, new-age(neo)advaitists. Actions that prove uniqueness of character than driven by emotional and mental(concepts) fantasy!

26. David says:

Just concepts and nothing more!

27. I love seeing male-positive posts, honoring our male "gods". Our beautiful boys and men have a right to be treated with love and respect so they can be vulnerable. I didn't like the part about it being OK for women to unleash being "a nasty bitch" and men being expected to take it. That's violence and violence is never acceptable.

28. [...] write this now because a recent article of mine on love at elephant journal went viral. A Call to the Sacred Masculine: Ten Daring Invitations from the Divine Feminine soared to 44,000 views and 12,000 Facebook likes in ten days. The piece also drew praise and [...]

29. [...] A Call to the Sacred Masculine: Ten Daring Invitations from the Divine Feminine. (elephantjournal.com) [...]

30. Julie says:

Cheerleading? You had to go THERE?

31. [...] I want to want you not because it gratifies my ego, not because you are outwardly beautiful, but because your very presence invites my Godself out of hiding. I want to touch you with my heart on my sleeve, to know chemistry between us that is not gender [...]

32. tao23 says:

blech. How about we just do our humanly best, which is sure to often be terrible but likely good enough, and ease up with all the spiritual romance novel stuff?
    This is basically everything wrong with American Buddhism, yoga, and takes on "Eastern Spirituality." Everybody wants to still be the hero of their 'spiritual' movie, while not wanting to just realize that the movie itself is, well, just a movie. Real love like real spirituality is wonderfully dull most of the time.

33. [...] waited a while to respond to Lori Ann Lothian’s post, A Call to the Sacred Masculine, Ten Daring Invitations From the Divine Feminine, mostly because it was hard to [...]

34. Alyson says:

A bit tired of the whole duality represented here. I am both feminine and masculine. I am a sacred human, not a goddess/god. "The call" is to become and embrace who we already are without all the garbage about swords, fighting demons, etc. I want be with people who can give and take but most importantly accept. Meet the world wholly and honestly. Masculine? Feminine? Meh. I, for one, don't care.

35. [...] I’m Sorry, Letter of Apology to Men, the Hoʻoponopono methos, etc. And, while I like the Call to the Sacred Masculine from Lori Ann Lothian, I also felt a bit boxed in and missed (my video response to her [...]

36. [...] above comment came from a man angry with me—or at least with my words as penned in A Call to The Sacred Masculine: Ten Daring Invitations from the Divine Feminine, an article that soared to 50,000 views and garnered 14,000 Facebook likes. In other words, a piece [...]

37. god says:

This is just another wounded part of the feminine, calling out as the victim – "where is my soul mate" / "who will love me" it's bullshit. No man is going to love you, 'ever' ,,,if you do not love yourself first, and I only know of about 1200 women walking the planet now that are honest when they say they love themselves… If you were the self empowered "goddess" you say you are, and you did happen to actually love yourself, then you wouldn't need a man / be missing a man, or, for that matter = you wouldn't be without one ! …..but the fact is, you DON'T have one, and your won't if you continue to heap loads of false identity into that goddess costume you wear. It has no more validity than the wings and feathers you put on during a week at burning man…it's false, with nothing to back it up, and will only lead you astray down yet another path of spiritual seeking without finding, searching without results – a dead end, only serving to keep you distracted from yourself as the wounded part plays another game out in your delusional mental prison…
    The feminine you say you are now – it's a role you have chosen to take on, as your own.. but you are owning/playing something that is not yours…. it's a costume, a self inflated ego that is crying out it's open wound. When you leave this place called earth – do you think you will still be a "female" ? no – there is no gender role to be played out beyond earth… A real and true goddess contains both masculine and feminine – in divine balance, and requires no other than it's self to "complete" it… no other, no man, no thing or non thing… so in the mean time, you "rally around each other" feeding the wound, feeding this virus, giving it your power… while the real men shake their heads…. waiting…. for you to really step up, and into yourself.
    What you are selling your victims is false, misleading and is further perpetuating the wound they are aligning to play with, validating it, giving it a voice and a platform to take over and control their lives… I suggest you read up on "the wound of isis" and let go of this silly game you are playing with yourself – and the divine masculine.

38. Edward Staskus says:

I agree: if a woman is going to act like a godess, then she needs a man who is going to act like a god.

39. [...] unexpectedly, I wrote a blockbuster called A Call to the Sacred Masculine: Ten Daring Invitations from the Divine Feminine. And suddenly I was under fire from angry men and women, a vocal minority who hated the article, [...]

40. There's a great deal that comes up in response to this sort of writing, and I want to be clear that this comment is not reserved for this post exclusively.

I've read the article, and your various responses Lori, and while I admire the intent, there are many men, myself included, who are tired of being preached to as if we are fundamentally unaware. Should a man write an article like this to women, the backlash would be extreme. Just because men might be more measured in their response, doesn't mean this is any less matronising / diminishing (funny how we don't have a word for when women speak down to men, but we certainly have the reverse!) than when a man speaks to a woman in the same way.

I've often thought to write such an article but have held back because I don't consider it would be useful. I'm an intelligent, self-aware and loving human being, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with my gender, just as your nature has nothing to do with yours.

Articles of this nature seem to consistently reinforce some separation, and diminish the profound value that men bring to the world. Change happens by meeting each other where we are. If we're meeting each other from the place of needing to be different, we're visiting a subtle violence upon the world that is counter-productive to our intent. I wonder how many women consider that their approach to men has as much of an impact upon how we behave in the world as men's approach to women. None of us is without hypocrisy – it goes with having a body. Surely we need to meet each other as we are?

Women have struggled for centuries to be free of socially proscribed ideas of who they can and cannot be. Attaining this freedom doesn't mean that they have the right to inflict a whole new set of social proscriptions on men.

In short, I for one don't need yet another list (despite this being quite a good one). I'm more aware of how I move in the world that is unloving and incongruent with engendering a loving and peaceful world than anyone outside of this body could ever be. That's the point of this work, of 'knowing thyself'.

The point of most significance is your closing line: "Whatever the divine really is, let’s find it together."

An invitation isn't proscriptive, it's an opening. There are many men who exemplify not only these qualities, but many that are far, far beyond. Perhaps it's time women started approaching men as equals, as opposed to unaware, ignorant relics of a bygone era in need of better tutelage.

• Cameron. I have just now seen this and want to thank you for your thoughtful commentary. Given that this article is a book in progress, I only learn from hearing how my message is received–or not received. Again, thank you.

41. Sam says:

This is really lovely but, as a woman, I don't need permission from my man to be strong! (Point number 6) I don't need his permission for anything. We are equals, remember?

42. [...] is the evolutionary work we have come to do. How we hold the Sacred Feminine and Sacred Masculine through a dance of partnership will blaze the trail of our dawning. A dawning where each is [...]

43. Cesare says:

I've felt the need to re-post this in all the articles I found that touched on "ravishing" women, so forgive me if you are reading this more than once. All I can say is WOW!, but not in a good way. So when is a no a "real" no? Basically the ravishing concept says to me that the woman maintains all the power in the sexual encounter, both in telling me to be more assertive and then arbitrarily deciding when a no really means no. If anything, this inspires misogyny in me. This is one on the few times I'm actually jealous of Charlie Sheen, and his alleged comments about not paying prostitutes to have sex with him, but to leave after the fact. That seems far more honest of a relationship to me.

And before anyone accuses me of simple-mindedness, let's look at the The American Heritage® Dictionary's definition of ravish:

1. To seize and carry away by force.
    2. To force (another) to have sexual intercourse; rape.
    3. To overwhelm with emotion; enrapture.

Yeah I can see how the 3rd definition could possibly fit. But the other two, they seem very much to be about force and violence. Dr. Sheck even boasts of his large frame, and how women he's come across LOVE (emphasis in the original) when men can make them feel like a little girl.

You are so playing with fire on this point.

44. Oh I love a brave heart! As for unsheathing your sword…..enough said. Now where were we? Yes, wise & powerful words. Care deeply good men! Rise up, love fearlessly, head for your true north & leave your mark. xx Roni

45. Karen McElroy says:

Thanks for a great post and one that is needed. Women love men…we want them to love themselves and find their sacredness to be the best they can be and then we can all dance in this polarity!