It’s the day we ask Mom to stop, relax, kick her feet up and be pampered by the very people she pampers all year long.
Be sure you shower her with gifts, take her to be primped at her favorite spa and finish the day with a lovely meal. Check out these healthy and vegan Mother’s Day recipes as well as last year’s brunch menu!
- 10 sliced lemons
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups tequila (optional)
- Mint, for garnish
Combine lemons, raspberries and sugar in a large pot. Pound the mixture firmly with a large wooden spoon, extracting as much juice as possible, about 10 minutes. Stir in water. Pour through a sieve into a large bowl. Press the solids until all juice is extracted. Discard the solids, stir in tequila and serve over ice.
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled and cut into small chunks – about 1/2 inch
- 1 1/2 lbs. watermelon, seeded and cut into small/med chunks – about 1 inch
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Add all ingredients into a bowl and toss gently.
R & R Risotto
- 3 quarts water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 stick vegan butter
- 8 ounces mixed fresh mushrooms, such as porcini, chanterelle, and oyster, sliced if large
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated vegan Parmesan (recipe below)
Bring water,dried porcini mushrooms and peppercorns to a boil in a medium pot. Reduce heat, and simmer gently for 1 hour. Strain stock (you should have 7 to 8 cups); discard solids. Return to pot; cover to keep warm.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook mixed mushrooms until tender and slightly browned all over, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Stir in rice, and cook until coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine, and cook until almost completely absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes.
Ladle 1 cup reserved stock over rice, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until almost completely absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly and waiting for each addition to be almost completely absorbed before adding the next, until grains are al dente but not crunchy, about 30 minutes. (You’ll probably only use 6 to 7 cups stock. Add remaining stock to loosen the risotto, if desired.)
Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the vegan Parmesan. Top risotto with sauteed mushrooms (reheat if necessary), and garnish with some more Parmesan.
- 1 cup soaked and dried Brazil nuts
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- Pinch nutritional yeast
- Pinch oregano
Place all ingredients in a food processor with the “S” blade on. Process until well incorporated and the consistency of bread crumbs.
Sweet and Spicy Sorbet Sandwiches
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup plus 5 teaspoons sugar, plus more for rolling and flattening
- 1 egg replacer
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 pint vegan strawberry sorbet
- 1 pint vegan lemon sorbet
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk flour, ground ginger, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in egg replacer, then add molasses and candied ginger. Reduce speed. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Wrap dough in plastic, and refrigerate until slightly firm, 15 minutes.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop balls of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Roll each one in sugar, and return to sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, press dough to flatten into 3-inch rounds. Bake until edges are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
Sandwich one scoop of sorbet with 2 cookies. Repeat, alternating sorbet flavors. Serve immediately, or freeze in airtight containers up to 3 hours.
Like elephant food on Facebook.
Editor: Kate Bartolotta