Mindful Manifesto #1.

Via on May 14, 2012

Our 1st elephant poster.

If your meditation center/entrepreneur hub/yoga studio/co-work space etc could use some non-trite wallflowerage, and you happen to wanna print it, go for it—or we can email you big version (email: info at elephantjournal.com if you really want high rez). ~ ed.

~

Do nothing, if only for a moment or two a day.

Elephant Poster:

Do Nothing, Be Fully.

Given the opportunity to place an ad (as part of a media sponsorship, where we give up payment for some of our advertising), I didn’t want to “sell” “stuff” to “consumers.” I wanted to offer a moment of space, a reminder of what makes life sane, and successful: nothing.

Instead of an ad making noise, reaching out for you, hyping…I wanted to make an “ad” about or for you, the reader, not about or for us, the business.

So, aesthetically, the ad was meant to reflect that. Space. No @elephantjournal twitter handle or “Join us on facebook” or sign up for our weekly email newsletter, all of which would help us…but none of which you would do, just ’cause we told you to. Instead, be of service, help for a moment, offer something relephant.

Practice “doing” nothing, if only for a few moments, every day. Give up multi-tasking, and do things fully, one at a time. Relax. Relax. Stare up at the darkening blue sky and the pink-turning clouds, hear what there is to hear (including our own thoughts). Feel life, and it shall give us renewed energy and upaya. ~ ed.

About elephant journal

23 Responses to “Mindful Manifesto #1.”

1. Love it. It may be mainly space, but as we all know, space is not empty, and this space speaks volumes for the Elephant ethos.

We are all one, namaste.

2. melissa says:

love this. thank you for sharing.

3. I love how this turned out. I need a little more nothing time today and a little less "efficiency."

4. Rajni Tripathi says:

WOW. talk about a much needed reminder for the spirit. <3 this

5. Eric says:

Wow. I was just thinking about this earlier today–"BUSY-NESS" has become the new religion, and we are sacrificing everything at the altar…

"Don't think too much about to DO—to BE is first." ~Thích Nhất Hạnh

6. Love this Waylon, really great job.

7. ayguldiscovers says:

I think this song perfectly supplements Mindful manifesto.

8. Vinataa says:

9. karlsaliter says:

10. accounting says:

Nice!

11. elephantjournal says:

#
    Mary Ann: Brilliant. Thank you.

#
    Faye Libellule B: that is so "Adbuster" of you. kinda. me gusta.

12. Jeet Jeet says:

"The practice of meditation could be described as relating with cool boredom, refreshing boredom, boredom like a mountain stream. It refreshes because we do not have to do anything or expect anything. But there must be some sense of discipline if we are to get beyond the frivolity of trying to replace boredom. That is why we work with the breath as our practice of meditation. Simply relating with the breath is very monotonous and unadventurous—we do not discover that the third eye is opening or that chakras are unfolding. It is like a stone-carved Buddha sitting in the desert. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens. As we realize that nothing is happening, strangely we begin to realize that something dignified is happening. There is no room for frivolity, no room for speed. We just breathe and are there. There is something very satisfying and wholesome about it." ~ Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

13. elephantjournal says:

#
    Kate Fields Bartolotta I think I need to go sit outside and do some nothing and anything for awhile.
    Monday at 8:35pm · LikeUnlike · 4
    #
    Soumyajeet Chattaraj
    ‎"The practice of meditation could be described as relating with cool boredom, refreshing boredom, boredom like a mountain stream. It refreshes because we do not have to do anything or expect anything. But there must be some sense of discip…line if we are to get beyond the frivolity of trying to replace boredom. That is why we work with the breath as our practice of meditation. Simply relating with the breath is very monotonous and unadventurous—we do not discover that the third eye is opening or that chakras are unfolding. It is like a stone-carved Buddha sitting in the desert. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens. As we realize that nothing is happening, strangely we begin to realize that something dignified is happening. There is no room for frivolity, no room for speed. We just breathe and are there. There is something very satisfying and wholesome about it." ~ Chogyam Trungpa RinpocheSee More
    3 hours ago · UnlikeLike · 1
    #
    Waylon Lewis Jeet! Great quote.

I couldn't find a quote I had in mind from VCTR here, so I made the above up…hope I did okay. The quote I was thinking of was Trungpa Rinpoche talking about how we Americans are alwwwways doing something, the closest we get to doing nothing is when we're in the passenger seat of a car, and even then we're smoking or listening to the radio or talking…and he said something about how if we can't do nothing we can't do anything fully.

14. Jeet Jeet says:

"The world can be explored; it is workable, wherever you go, whatever you do. But I would like to plant one basic seed in your mind: I feel that it is absolutely important to make the practice of meditation your source of strength, your source of basic intelligence. Please think about that. You could sit down and do nothing, just sit and do nothing. Stop acting, stop speeding. Sit and do nothing. You should take pride in the fact that you have learned a very valuable message: You actually can survive beautifully by doing nothing." ~ Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

15. Jill Barth Jill Barth says:

Quite lovely. Thanks, Waylon.

16. [...] I’ve found myself aware of the pairing of theory and practice. These days I am meeting theory and practice like two friends [...]

17. [...] “Less is more” is not just a fashion quote. It’s our crazy century’s life motto. [...]

18. Valerie Carruthers ValCarruthers says:

Just being fully in our being. Taking everything in. Doing something mindfully with total absorption. Marvelous, Waylon. Warning: could be life-changing.

19. @yogatwit says:

Thank you. I really liked this.

20. [...] Spaces in my day that I choose not to fill. [...]