The Sour Taste of Lululemon Sizing. ~ Mel Squarey

Via on May 16, 2012

lululemon, pants, crops, sexy, butt,

I am opening up a big can of whoop-a** on the Lululemon dynasty.

I’ve been inspired in part by an elephant journal article on yoga uniforms in the West. I can’t say that I’d really thought about it before that point other than discussing the tiny outfits that come romping through my yoga class.

Let me be clear here. It’s not that I hate Lululemon, or the fact that everyone in class is wearing the same stuff, it’s more of a morality issue that I’m in debate with. I see value in feeling fly while entering the gym, hitting the track, or going to your yoga class. We all know that feeling fresh and clean can help with confidence boosting. We may need to feel fly to even get up out of bed in the morning to sweat. If this is your reason to get up and make your body healthy then I think that I’m okay with that. Honestly!

My problem is that Lululemon and companies like them have failed larger people in society. If you take a second and browse around your local sweaty place of practice you’ll see two things. People who look fly in their tops and pants and people who are wearing their t-shirts and baggy sweatpants from 1995.

Very few athletic sportswear companies have stepped up to the plate to size their merchandise for larger people. I’m not just talking about people who have a few extra pounds, I’m talking about people who are tall and lanky, who have bigger feet, hips, or busts. These people want to look just as fly as everyone else in the gym.

These people have separate issues when thinking of fit and design of product. For example, if a woman who has a heavy chest ever put on your standard Lululemon top you’d find that the second she did a downward-facing-dog her tatta’s would be hanging downward with the dog. It’s not comfortable or sensible to feel like you’re coming out of your clothing and it’s about time the Lululemon’s of the world take the hint.

My theory is that if you offered a $98 yoga pant that:

1. fit any woman above a size 12,

2. made sure it didn’t give her huge camel toe and

3. made sure it was mid-waisted so that healthy butt wouldn’t be revealed mid-clas,

then you’d be in serious business.

Just imagine, the fact that larger/taller people spend more money for well-fitted apparel is absolutely well known. For myself, I’ve banned my 1995 apparel and have adopted several fly pieces to help boost my mood when I’m down-doggin’ in class.

I know how hard it is for someone to find athletic clothing that fits the more-than-average person. As a teacher, I represent yoga to my students. If I don’t feel fly then they don’t feel my vibes. This is an open call for the plus sized clothing market to make top of the line, stylish and durable athletic apparel.

Peace ~ Melissa Squarey.

Like elephant yoga on Facebook!

Melissa Lesley Squarey was born and raised on the rugged, mystical, and epic island of Newfoundland, Canada. Melissa has been studying hatha yoga for 10 years and is currently completing a 200hr Yoga Alliance Yoga Teacher Training with plans for more trainings in the therapeutic style of yoga in the near future. Melissa lives her practice of yoga through love and service. Melissa believes that the size, shape, or capability of the physical body does not limit the ability for anyone to practice yoga. Melissa regularly updates her website  with various thoughts on yogic theory and everyday life. Check out    Melissa on Twitter: @MSquareyYoga or Facebook.

About elephant journal

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

89 Responses to “The Sour Taste of Lululemon Sizing. ~ Mel Squarey”

1. chrissy says:

Thank you! As tall and definitely not a size 8, it’s very disheartening to not be able to find cute workout clothes. It’s like being left out of the club. It would be a very successful market for a company to get into, amd would develop a very loyal customer base.

The companies don’t seem to see us plus-sizers as worthy of fashion and function, we have to buy the drab, ill-fitting garments because we don’t have any other choices and they know it.

2. Kristina Tost says:

Well said Ms. Squarey!! You are so right and speak for so many people!! listen up clothing manufacturers, this is the truth!!

• msquarey says:

I wonder if Lulu would hire me for their new line of fabulous above average sizing? Or ALO should get something on the go.

3. Kellyann says:

They don’t make anything for short people either :(. I have a horrible time finding any yoga pants that aren’t like 5 inches too long. So I end up with capris that come down to my ankles.. haha.

• Giuliana says:

I have the same problem…i just tie a knot at the end and not wear shoes…ahahaha..just kidding..I know how to sew, so i save $15 for hemming!!!!!

• gypsygirl says:

… Lulu does free hemming on all their pant ladies! I take advantage of that every time ;)

• Lindsey says:

I have found that the Nike workout pants come in short, and this is the only brand I have found full-length pants in that aren't too long. I'm 5'3 and they hit right about a half inch above the floor.

4. Risa says:

I am a Bikram practitioner, and I am not of tiny body. I have an ample bum, and spacious hips.

I love the teeny tiny shorts that others wear into class.

And I am often disheartened by the fact that many clothiers make “one size fits all” that, in fact, fit a size 6 or smaller; make XS/S and S/M, but no L. Or the L they DO make stated *will fit a size 8*… What!?

I have found that the KDeer BumBums are sized nicely AND she makes plus sized shorts!! Sa-weet!

5. Lisa says:

I couldn't agree more! I happen to have breasts, and have a hard time finding "fly" tops that will hold my anatomy in place so I don't give a show during inversions or down dog. I have given this feedback to Lulu many times and they keep making those same tops with the "built in bra" that does absolutely nothing for most grown women. Vote with your credit card and they will come around.

6. NMM says:

Thank you……I would pay a fortune to have a cute yoga outfit that fit and was functional!

7. Jacquie says:

Can I recommend a UK company called Sweaty Betty – they just launched in the US but have been going strong in the uk for easily over 10 years. We can't get Lululemon in the uk so this is where we get our functional & fashionable workout gear from – priced similar to LL and worth every penny (cent) quality wise.

8. ehassman says:

YES! When I first started practicing yoga, the size 12 lulu pants didn't quite fit me, and it made me feel like crap about myself. I didn't have all the lovely yoga principles to teach me to love myself, yet, because I was just getting started. I just wanted to fit in.

And I'm tired of trying to shove my tatas into too-small bras and tops… it gets REALLY ugly in that hop forward from downward dog to forward fold!

Seriously, I'd save up and spend the money if I could find the gear.

9. I do understand the debate about lululemon's influence in the Western yoga world. I see both sides of the coin there. However, when it comes to the quality of their apparel, there is really only one side: it is excellent. A few things worth pointing out:

- Lululemon offers FREE hemming on their pants. They make them long intentionally and will hem them for you at any location.
    - The big ta-ta issue? Ask any retail associate for a high-support top. It is true many of their yoga apparel is low support. However, they famously offer high support tops and bras, including the life saving "Ta Ta Tamer" bra for large chested women.

I don't work for lululemon. I'm not speaking to the debate over materialism in yoga. I'm just saying … they make good clothes. And, they're not the only clothing company that has trouble fitting plus sizes. In fact, as far as that goes, they are the norm and not the exception.

• Cathey Shaw says:

I agree, I wear nothing but Lulu, the material is compared to nothing I've ever worn. The fit is amazing. Yes they do make great bras for well endowed women. Ill never go back to another brand. Their worth every penny!!

• Bea says:

Except they think that the alphabet stops at D. As as 36G, The Ta Ta tamer does nothing for me. I used to buy their tops and hack them with extra material to cover the cleavage and sideboob they left behind. Now I just shop elsewhere.

10. Susie says:

Lululemon does care to sell to older, larger people!!!! I worked there and was an older women and the comment from one of the visiting managers was "if people passed by the store and saw me in the clothes the younger would no come in to buy them"…. They only want young people working in their stores. Great company to work for if you are the right age and the clothes do last a long time.

• CatieMay says:

Sounds a bit like A&F! That's actually discrimination and very much illegal for them to have said that to you.

11. susie says:

Correction: doesn't care to sell to older, larger people.
    Would NOT come in to buy them"

12. shaydewey says:

Having an F cup there is pretty much no "yoga top" I have found that works. Long torso means almost every pant hits at hip level. I swear I spent 1/4 of the class time readjusting my clothing after every pose.

13. honest male yogi says:

my guess is that yoga people make clothes that fit them. most of the fashionistas in the industry are small and tight. if the tall and lanky, big busted and big bootied want clothes that fit, they should step up and create some companies that make attractive clothes for their size and style…instead of waiting for someone to accommodate them…just sayin.

• AlcheMystic says:

Well this argument just flies in the face of everything yoga is supposed to stand for and teach. Adding "just sayin'" at the end of your statement is just passive aggressive.

14. @we_ar says:

im the g.m for nz over at we-ar.it : im also an nz size 14 woman and lover of hatha. i wear our new romantic legging which fits my curvy body perfectly, i wear them high waisted to keep my tummy feeling supported in downard dog. and the leggings.. they are US $95 – just saying x

15. Dita says:

I am so so so happy someone wrote about the very issue I had contemplated many many times! I have walked into Lululemon many times drooling over their amazing looking outfits, thinking I wish I wouldn’t feel so left out, so permanently reminded that I only used to be able to buy my clothes anywhere I liked. I punish myself enough talking down to myself and feeling low for eating desert or not having worked out in a year, there is no good reason for anyone else to do that to me. Nor should I accept it. I am happy I am not alone in seeing this. Maybe there is room for us misfits to fit in and look good in a gym and stop wearing those 1995 outfits to the gym…

16. Yogini says:

I’m tired of the “I’m fat and beautiful” crap. Look at women’s sizes over the past three decades. It’s impossible for us fit and trim people to find clothes that fit. The current size 12 was a size 6 thirty years ago. Eat right, work out, and you will fit in normal clothes. If you’re that big then you should wear baggy tee shirts and sweat pants. Nobody wants to see your beautiful rolls.

• Yoga chica says:

Perfect. Too few people are willing to say the truth.

• Anna says:

Agree 100%.

Watch the new HBO series "The Weight of the Nation". It's online and free: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/. Chances are if you are too big to fit into the Lulu size 12 pants then you are responsible for that failure. You are making consistently bad choices. It is time to change.

• Risa says:

What about not worrying about the looks of others, at all?! "I'm trim and beautiful", "I am heavy and beautiful"… It's all the same. Leave be and, instead, be supportive of someone having a positive attitude :)
      Opinions are like assholes…
      When I see someone who is obviously heavier, and they are wearing body conscious clothing, I think "Good for them for having the ovaries to do it!"

• CAP says:

Opinions are like assholes and Yoga chica is just that. If you think only what you call trim and fit people are healthy and beautiful you need to remove yoga from your life because you obviously are not a true yoga…you just do yoga. Big difference.

• ktc1982 says:

LOL I have to say, I am about a size 10-12 and I agree completely. I hate the "fat is beautiful"camp. It's not, and it's not healthy. I don't think you have to be a size n4 to be healthy, and I think a size 12 can be healthy to an extent (esp for a taller person) but let's be honest, a size 18 is almost NEVER healthy. People have to get real about this stuff instead of trying to be PC and not hurt people's feelings. Whether fat people like it or not, 95% of people don't want to see your "beautiful rolls", and a giant heifer in tight workout pants etc is NOT attractive. That being said, like I mentioned, I am a size 12-ish, and Lululemon pants fit me with no problem (size 10 at that). I have big boobs, so many of their tops don't work on their own, but I just wear my own sports bra under them. They do have the ta ta tamer which I have not bought but have tried on and it seems it would be fine.

• AlcheMystic says:

You do realize that at a size 12-ish the main stream media and yoga as big business marketing machine consider YOU to be fat, right? I agree with your comment about people trying to be PC but the rest of your comment just feels like you are projecting your own issues onto everyone else that may be even the slightest degree over weight.

• AnneCornell4 says:

Did you really just say "giant heifer", wow.. I'm thinking you are missing something in yoga class. Hateful and hurtful words.

• JoyFULL says:

it seems that there is a lack of compassion AND awareness of the experience of being a large sized person today. I understand that there may be hostility towards us- as many of you slender people work around the clock to keep your bodies healthy and fit. However, it is this judgment against us that causes such pain and harm..you may think it should help..but SHAME is a form of abuse…and counterproductive. Perhaps you could not see the 'fat rolls' in your fellow human being as ridiculous..but instead make it your "practice'..to learn to love ALL kinds of human beings regardless of shape and size. The "fat and beautiful' approach to life is very difficult to create and maintain inside the fat persons psyche when society has such harsh judgements about us (like you). I mean, think about it…you are essentially saying, "When i see a fat person's fat rolls..they are disgusting and should hide themselves from society." This is EXTREMELY narcisstic as a human being, and limits your capacity to enjoy the human experience. On a personal note..it has taken me about 15 years to finally feel comfortable enough in my own obese fat rolled body to enter the sleek and fit world and join you in the exercise rooms in OUR society. Your above comments are the words my mind heard every day of my conscious life – which became the broken record in my head- that helped enable me to hide away from the world and DO NOTHING in my own house. The little flab grew and grew becasue I sensed that I was somehow NOT BEAUTIFUL enough to be seen. So in some sense you should feel proud of yourself…it worked…many of us have hidden ourselves so that you would not have to see us and ridicule us..but we finally realized that there is only one life to live..fat or not…and we INTEND to live it and accept ourselves as we are..in our magnificient fatness..seriously– befireind a fat person…you just might learn how to befriend yourself. Life is short, let the rolls be seen!

• Allison says:

Thank you, JoyFULL.

As someone who's not obese, but just a tad pudgy (not at my "happy" weight), I find those comments abusive and horrifying — and ones that would make me question the very value of the Elephant Journal community. Seriously? Yes, people are out of shape. Shaming them is NOT the way to help, and certainly will make people less willing to even try. Frankly, you (Yogini) come across as a self-centered bitch. The world does not exist to please you.

• Lanie says:

Let's take the ego judgement out of the equation (you're not attractive enough to even look at, cruel and unloving, you need to do more Yoga persons who think like this) and look at the true health of anyone who IS 20-30-40-50+ pounds overweight. I don't care about the rolls, I don't care about seeing the rolls or the dimples or the anatomy, the body is the body, skin, organs, brains, muscle, veins, nerves, tissues, cells. I've been unhealthy to the point of disease knocking on my forehead (McFly, anybody home?). I've been overweight, just like the other 68% of Americans (yay we're number 1!), I've been sick, I've been depressed about it, I've been hooked on food since I was a kid, it was leftovers from being home alone and left to eat canned Ravioli every day (or whatever else I wanted, mostly fast food, donuts, deli sandwiches). That was my MO until I woke up and changed. It's not about being pretty or fitting into fancy pants, its about loving yourself enough to take care of yourself properly. It's about waking up and really looking at what you are putting in your mouth. It's about understanding that certain foods turn you into a self loathing couch potato, they are literally addicting and toxic to all of the body, the create the fog and turn on the broken records. Depression is no joke, but know that processed food, especially sugar and flour can keep you where you are. Clean up your eating, keep doing Yoga and any of these stuck up brands will fit, if that's the goal.

• AnneCornell4 says:

Another ignorant response. I don't eat processed foods and work out almost every day. I still wear a size 16 and I know others who are just large muscular people. And I'm not depressed, having a pretty good life here….sorry to disappoint you.

• AnneCornell4 says:

Thank you.

• Sarah says:

if you want us to work out, eat right, etc, what clothing do you propose we wear while we're losing the weight? baggy tshirts and sweatpants don't really work for yoga, ever tried to practice in that before?

• Melissa says:

I do yoga in baggy t-shirts and sweatpants all the time. It's comfortable. Sure, I wind up staring down my own shirt in Down Dog, and if I want to work a lot on inversions I have to strip down to my sports bra, but for just a regular practice baggy t-shirts and sweats work just fine. You don't have to wear spandex to do tree pose.

• AnneCornell4 says:

Wow, what a hateful thing to say. Just so you know (although I don't think you care), I am very fit. I do yoga at least every other day; spin at least twice a week; hike regularly; go biking, etc. My b/p is low, as is my blood sugar. I don't eat meat and seldom eat any kind of processed food. My grocery cart is usually filled with organic fruit and veges. But guess what? I'm a size 16. So your theory that if you eat right and work out you will fit in "normal clothes" is not only ignorant but also bigoted and mean spirited.

• billycallahan says:

You are totally correct. Now anyone who is a normal size has to look for XXS or size 0 because heavy people want to feel good about their size.

• Melissa says:

What about the people who are starting on a journey to be healthier and want to look good and feel good doing it. Read the article. Maybe if Lulu offered higher sized clothing more people would buy the clothes and get trim. It would encourage them and make them feel empowered to fit into the smaller sizes. Narrow minded wimp who probably eats shit every day and still weighs an ounce. Judge all you want, it's your karma.

17. Susan says:

For the most part a built in bra or a shelf bra will not work for anyone above a C cup. High end bra stores, Nordstron and Dillards all carry work out bras that come in sizes that are over a D cup. They're expensive but they are an option.

Yogini … harsh. Not necessary.

• msquarey says:

Agreed. Also, I get the point they are attempting to make but it comes off as agressive and unintelligent. FYI thirty years ago few women were taller than 5 ft 3in now most of the women I know are at least 5ft 8in or taller (like me). Taller also means hips are wider and shoulders too. Gotta have something to support the frame. I am a person who is within the proportionate BMI so, by medical standards (I'm not fat) I fit into a normal range. People in the west are breaking the curve of regular height and measures, thirty years ago there was no size zero, let alone a two.

18. Michelle says:

Try Athleta! Their clothes are amazing! They have a large selection of super cute yoga clothes for every shape and size at reasonable pricing. And they offer a no hassle guarantee return policy.

19. lori says:

At See Jane Run (www.SeeJaneRun.com) you can find amazing yoga pants up to size 2X and short, regular and long lengths. There are other companies out there other than Lululemon.

20. John says:

The thing I liked about lululemon was that they make yoga gear for men at all and that it used to be cut for men with the kind of physique you get from doing a lot of yoga rather than cut to hide a beer belly, which most men's clothes are. Last time I was in they had changed the cut and I've noticed their stuff isn't nearly as durable as it was.

Yogini – you've got a point, though I'd say I'm sick of people being spectacularly dishonest about why they are the shape they are and going on about how attractive that shape supposedly is (whatever shape it might be) the way so many do is outright weird.

21. Noelle says:

Yes, hard to find yoga tops for us well-endowed ladies. I’m retro and just put on a t-shirt with OM or some other relevant motif, over the yoga pants/capris. Do we have to have workout tanks, really? I did recently buy a tank with shelf bra from Gaiam. Of course the shelf bra is not sufficient, need to have a bra under that. Still wary of wearing this top in class, afraid of spillage…
    I do like Blue Canoe and Lucy for yoga pants.

22. msquarey says:

Thank you everyone. I'm grateful for each and everyone of you're points and opinions. I think this is an important issue to talk about. So, you're talking.

23. beegirl says:

Thank you. This issue has been a personal rant of mine for years–as in 10+ years. The average size of the American woman is what the fashion industry labels a size 14/16. Note that 14/16 is also the smallest size available in most plus size shops so there is a continuing history of shaming average women into believing that they are not normal. And we haven't even touched on the well-endowed, the tall, the short, the differently proportioned, those with wider or narrower feet, broad shoulders, narrow hips, long or short arms, and large or small booty sizes.

All of these women deserve fly, comfortable, supportive, serviceable yogawear that makes them feel as powerful as their bodies are becoming through their practice. Lululemon and others (Ibex, I'm looking at you) have completely missed the boat. To say that producing clothing that fits actual women makes costs untenable is a complete copout. It's possible and it makes good business sense.

John and yogini–I thought that yoga practice was supposed to cultivate an enlightened mind and body, not judgment and nastiness. It sounds like you don't grok the situation at all nor do you have the same issues that many (read: the majority) of women do. Yoga is not just for those who are already fit. Yoga is not for those with hard bodies who fit into an industry size 4 or a specific style of mens' wear. Yoga is for everyone. Got it? Everyone. Size 2. Size 28. Short, tall, fat, thin. To insinuate otherwise is just falling into the same tired trope about how plus-sized people/different sized people should just work out and then they'd be fit enough for your aesthetics in a yoga class. How precisely should they get fit if they're "too ugly" to be welcomed into a class promoting physical fitness?

At any rate, I appreciate calling the yoga clothing industry to task for their perpetuation of whack body standards. If yoga is about enlightenment of body and mind, then let's welcome all toward that, in clothing that makes them feel confident and powerful.

24. Mimi says:

Thank you, beautiful.

25. hmmmm says:

I agree that yoga is for everyone and that means EVERYONE. What I don't understand is this "Calling Out" of clothing companies. If you don't like what you can buy, start your own company! Do something about it! Lululemon can do/sell whatever they want. If you like it – buy it. If you don't – don't! If there's such a huge market that hasn't been tapped – go tap it! The End. No company has any kind of obligation to cater to any demographic in particular. Do you really just want yoga clothes that fit? Or do you want the "cache" of wearing Lululemon clothing that fits?

26. hmmmm says:

They've created that "cache" by lots of young, fit, good looking people wearing their clothes. That is as much their brand as the litle logo. It doesn't behoove their carefully designed marketing campaign to have large women squeezed into their pants – which, yes I also have to say, just doesn't look as nice as a fit, smaller yoga ass. YES – these larger women should still go to yoga! Absolutely! I hope they learn from it and grow just as I have benefited from yoga. But I get the idea that the underlying issue is jealousy about wanting to wear the specific clothing from the specific brands because it's "in." That energy is misdirected, and could be put to much better use by actually addressing the problem and doing something to create a solution – not crying to Lululemon so you can get in on the hype and be cool too

27. [...] one yogi after another is smoothly and effortlessly finding their Dragonfly Pose, like a bunch of Lululemon-clad circus freaks. Not one to be intimidated, I take my right leg over my arm and try to dig my [...]

28. Rubicon says:

Interesting conversation. I actually worked for lululemon for many years and the reason they have chosen not do increase their size runs (despite feedback from guests) is that they do not want to condone or affiliate with an image of "poor health". Whether that encourages people to meet their own weight loss goals or instead sends them to other apparel stores, all I can say is that we all want to look our best and feel our best AND be supported in doing so. So if that means going to Nike and buying a bra that fits, or going one more yoga class this week or spending another 30 minutes at the gym, the reward of fitting comfortably into a pair of lulu's might just be the motivation that some of us need.

29. [...] a big butt and hips in comparison to the rest of my body. I have thighs that require me to get a different Lululemon size for leggings than what I get for [...]

30. Diane says:

There's an amazing line out of DC that's a great solution for people looking for a lulu alternative: http://www.apifeni.com. The line is sold through reps across the US who come to you and do personal fittings to make sure you look your best. There's a collection with shapewear and a collection without – with a higher, flattering rise. Definitely something to check out!

31. Mary V says:

Sure would love some tops that keep the 7 years of breastfeeding saggy girls from slapping my face in down dog and inversions. Thanks for speaking for so many of us perfectly larger bodies.

32. Lovely and well said. And how about older people? We want to look fly too, in a way where our hootchies aren't hanging out. Oh, and make an older person, over a size 12, of color an Ambassador. Or just put a picture of one in the store? How about it?

33. MaryAnne Colledge says:

Lululemon is capitalism at its absolute worst. What's the difference between commercial christianity, the Catholic Church, Mormanism, and Islam? They ALL exploit women for either money or power.

34. [...] outfits to the first 40 people who lined up outside the door and stripped naked. Everyone knows Lululemon is over priced yoga [...]

35. Lululemon is a juniors and Barbie doll establishment. If you are not one of those two body types, move along. There's nothing for you to see there.

36. Try Nordstrom says:

Nordstrom actually has a line called Zella, which is very close to Lululemon in style and quality. I believe the line was developed by a former Lululemon designer. The kicker is that unlike Lululemon, who doesn’t want to promote the unhealthy lifestyle of plus-sized people who want to work out and get healthy, Nordstrom does have a plus-sized line of Zella. So bravo to Lululemon and their skewed morality. Zella is less expensive too. God forbid anyone encourage bigger people to get fit by making them feel good about how they look while exercising.

37. lauriet says:

I disagree with those claiming that Lulu makes a high impact bra that keeps the ta-taz tamed. I personally tried one of these ta ta tamers on and my girls were all over the place and the bra didn’t fit right with any adjustment I made. Never will turn in my Under armour high impact bra. They are way more supportive than the ta ta tamer anyday!

38. Natalie B says:

Ever heard of Cult of California? Active wear Made for bigger girls by a bigger girl. Their stuff is pretty fly. Google it. :)

39. shoes says:

Piece of writing writing is also a fun, if you be acquainted
    with after that you can write if not it is complex to write.

40. [...] well-acquainted with the all of the joys (feeling like a sexy, curvaceous goddess) and miseries (um… do you have jeans that fit a 28-inch waist and 38-inch hips?) that come from carrying lots of junk in the [...]

41. Ayurvedic Travel TipsWhat timing – Yoga Journal sent a email today featuring in-flight Ayurvedic beauty tips.

42. Sarah says:

here's another brand i'd like to bring up: I AM BEYOND. while i appreciate their attire is soft, made in the USA, and holds up well, it is so strange in the waist area that every time i bend over or take janu sirsasana my crack is exposed. someone please make some clothing that i like and that stays put!

43. Jen says:

Love it!! Thank you, no wonder I do not shop there as an average sized woman!!

44. Sara says:

I can never find pants to fit me. I have a big butt and hips and their pants are a horrible fit. Tops give great support for my tatas (but I am average size there). I wish stores in general would come out with clothes to fit women who have hips (I didn't have hips until I had my daughter).

45. AnneCornell4 says:

I am so glad to see this blog that expresses what I feel. I recently posted something on the Lululemon website about their sizing practices and I was attacked by size 2's and size 4's who assured me that I was the unreasonable one. They couldn't understand why only sizing to a size 12 when the average American woman is a size 14 was inappropriate. People who make the argument that Lululemon is just a store and if they choose only to market to small people then so be it are missing the point. Lululemon is more than a store. In my yoga community of Omaha Nebraska, half of every yoga class is dressed in adorable Lululemon tops and bottoms. They constantly have get togethers and demonstrations at their store. My yoga teachers have been hired as "Lululemon Ambassadors" and their photos are displayed in the store. It is more than a store, it represents the local yoga community and it has closed its doors to many of the yogis in the community. It is an exclusive club that only small people can belong to. I practice yoga and spin several times a week. I love yoga, it is a huge part of my life. But God forbid, I wear a size 16! So I do not feel welcome in a Lululemon store, nor do I feel like I am welcome in their "club". When every other department store and other athletic wear go to size 16, Lulu cuts off at a 12. The excuse that I've heard is that it would cost more to produce clothes up to a size 16. In response to that I say then charge a higher price for the 14's and 16's. And by golly guess what, they go to size XXL in men's wear and they don't charge any more so I guess it's not a problem for the men. I truly believe it is a conscious decision by the corporation to market only to what they perceive as being "attractive" women so that they can sell more. They know that catty self centered women love being members of exclusive clubs so they have created the ultimate exclusive club. This would be fine if it wasn't clothing for an activity that preaches love peace and kindness……..

46. loverofyogaclothes says:

I totally don't get the lulu hype. In 2004 they were amazing, back when their clothing was actually manufactured in Canada; I still have items from then that look brand new. Then when I purchased items in 2006 and 2007 I was horrified at the reduction in quality. The pants pilled like none other; drove me NUTS!!! Canadian friends told me they'd outsourced production to China. Not to mention, they lost many of their cuter, more distinctive styles and went mainstream with garishly-colored fabrics and fashion to suit the masses. Where I was once a great lover of Lulu now I patronize companies with more options (and less controversial policies/former CEO's). To me Lulu is the Abercrombie and Fitch of the yoga community. Total schlock. I would be embarrassed to be seen wearing it today, because to me it represents much about modern yoga I find problematic, including their limited sizing range!!

That said, I have a new love–Athleta! They make clothes for so many sizes–talls, petites, XXL–they hold up fantastic to rugged wear and last as long as they say they will. Plus as an instructor I get 30% off, and the styles/colors are so much more creative and interesting than at Lulu. I'm a grad student, and don't work there, but truly am grateful that there is at least one company out there making durable clothes we can rock it in!

47. billycallahan says:

If it sold, they would stock it. Bigger people should probably wear baggy sweat pants instead of skin tight yoga pants anyway.

• Joyfull says:

The comments about what the larger sector should wear is hilarious!!! I am in boot camp 3′s a week, do yoga, dance classes, and am currently training for a Marathon. I am a size 26/28. And yousay Wear sweatpants!!&&@”@$(!!! ….. How shallow!! How idiotic and ignorant. All kinds of bodies need to feel comfortable to live. Shaming is so lame and outdated. Try working on yourself and leave the rest of us alone.

48. Krishnabrodhi says:

I mentioned this article to my girlfriend and she immediately did a google search and found LOADS of companies that offer plus size yoga clothes and active wear of all kinds. I don't understand the need to "should" companies into creating products for every single niche demographic and body type. Especially when there are plenty of companies that are doing exactly what you are complaining that Lululemon isn't. I think they only thing that the company has "failed" is your expectation that the customer, no matter what, is always right. And that doesn't mean they malicious in having a selection that doesn't fit every single body. Please move towards a positive direction by promoting the companies that are doing what you like instead of spreading negative energy by blasting a company for doing what is within their free market rights to do that you don't like.

49. CAP says:

I am not at all surprised by the hateful comments by supposed "yogis" on here. They are just ignorant girls that DO yoga. There is such a difference and since Lulu came on the scene making yoga "the thing" to do, it has changed yoga. Real yogis are kind and gentle to one another. The judgmental and critical words by the girls above don't mean anything. To the women who are larger, who cares! Be healthy, thats what we all need, just to be healthy. We live in a world that favors thin women. Doesn't mean anything at all. Ignore comments by ignorant people. What they say means nothing. You don't owe ANYONE a reason for your size. Just be healthy at whatever size you are eat. Eat well, exercise and wear what makes you feel good. If someone judges or criticizes it says everything about them and NOTHING about you. They have an ugly heart and ugly spirit and it will come back on them. Be your yoga. Be kind and gentle to those you meet and you can never go wrong :)